browning hairs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkdchmpn

Reaction score
Hi everyone-
I have a little girl that has been flowering for ~5 weeks.

I have noticed that a couple of the lower buds white hairs have begun to turn brown. just want to get an idea if this is normal or due to a nutrient disorder.
---all of the other buds look good but i want to stop it if it is a bad thing

CIMG2827.jpg

CIMG2828.jpg

Pretty sure the hairs are supposed to turn brown. Otherwise were all in ****. Your more than half way done flowering so we would have to say this okay. Anyone else?

Brown hair or orange hairs are perfectly normal as the white ones dry up. I have heard that when about 3/4 turn orange they are done, but the best way to test is by looking at the amberish color in the trichromes.

Agreed. We put ours under a 10x magnifier and you can see the color of them. Try not to get lost in that world as we did. Staring at the buds can consume a bit of time if you like to glare. Before they were just normal frosty buds, but under a 10x. They are really frosty and good to look at. Make sure you have a bowl close by lol. You can see the trichomes perfectly and decide when you want to make the cut.

Sounds like she is ripening on time. The only reason for the pistils to brown early in flower would be a pollination...but 5 weeks is not that early.

No pollen sacs on her or male plants around are there?

Elephant Man said:
Sounds like she is ripening on time. The only reason for the pistils to brown early in flower would be a pollination...but 5 weeks is not that early.

No pollen sacs on her or male plants around are there?

negative. She is a female.
Awsome news. thanks for the help!;)

---when you guys are talking about lookng at under a 10x...are you talking about a magnafying glass?
Amber color mean the plant is done right?

You can get a pocket microscope with a light on it at radio shack. It's 60-100x and only costs $10. I love it, you can see those triches very good with this.

tkdchmpn said:
negative. She is a female.
Awsome news. thanks for the help!;)

---when you guys are talking about lookng at under a 10x...are you talking about a magnafying glass?
Amber color mean the plant is done right?

A microscope or 'lupe' would be better...hydro shops, radio shack, and ebay all sell cheap ones that work well. A magnifying glass might work under the right lighting with good eyes.

This picture is of a budleaf taken from very close to the tip of a budsite.The pic below was taken through a microscope or 'lupe'...see the glands that are standing up? They are referred to as 'trichomes' and the tip is what we want to look at. These tips will go from clear to cloudy to amber. Most shoot for as little clear as possible, 25%-50% amber is desired too, but the actually timing in days during the last week will come down to a preference in high...all cloudy being more 'heady' and all (or mostly) amber being a more body effect.

Remember to look at a few leaves from the top and bottom of the plant and take an average. I usually don't even bother checking until about 25-50% of the hairs (or pistils) are brown...6-10 weeks depending on the strain.

Good Luck

DCFC0004.JPG

DCFC0005.JPG

DCFC0011.JPG

Elephant Man said:
A microscope or 'lupe' would be better...hydro shops, radio shack, and ebay all sell cheap ones that work well. A magnifying glass might work under the right lighting with good eyes.

This picture is of a budleaf taken from very close to the tip of a budsite.The pic below was taken through a microscope or 'lupe'...see the glands that are standing up? They are referred to as 'trichomes' and the tip is what we want to look at. These tips will go from cloudy to clear to amber. Most shoot for as little cloudy as possible, 25%-50% amber is desired too, but the actually timing in days during the last week will come down to a preference in high...all clear being more 'heady' and all (or mostly) amber being a more body effect.

Remember to look at a few leaves from the top and bottom of the plant and take an average. I usually don't even bother checking until about 25-50% of the hairs (or pistils) are brown...6-10 weeks depending on the strain.

Good Luck

VERY COOL!!!!
That is so interesting and awsome how this all works.
Thanks a ton for shareing with me!!!:D

Latest posts

Back