question about ferts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eezee

Reaction score
hello,
i'm a very new grower with some very new grower questions....;)
someone explain to me that only n,p,k , the main food for plants, are salts. he said secondery elements and trace elemnts are not salts and can be applied in full strength from the begining since their not salts and cannot harm the little seedling. i'm kinda sceptic about this but wanted to make sure with you growers.
allso , english wise , when you say ferts you mean n,p,k and all the othrs are nutrients ? did i get it all wrong ?
any ways , i feed my seedlings with only water and good soil mix for now and it looks o.k so far.
thank you and best to all.
eezee.

Your freind is not explaining it right. They are not salts...salt is a by-product of the plant.
This is about as "plain english" as it gets.

Organic Fertilizer Numbers (N-P-K)
By Jennifer Black, Planet Natural

Confused about fertilizer numbers? What value do they have in organic gardening? A plant needs nutrients to survive. Most of these are provided by the soil, but soil varies tremendously in nutrient amounts, soil type, pH, and nutrient availability.

The three main nutrients that have been identified as absolutely necessary for plants are nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P) and potassium (K). These three are also known as macronutrients, and are the source of the three numbers commonly found on organic fertilizer labels. The numbers found on our Organic All-Purpose Fertilizer, for example, are 8-5-5. This is the percentage by weight of the N, P, and K found in the fertilizer.

So what's so important about nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium?

Nitrogen (N) is probably the most widely recognized nutrient, known primarily for its ability to "green up" lawns. Nitrogen mainly affects vegetative growth and general health. Chlorophyll, the green substance in plants responsible for photosynthesis, is largely composed of nitrogen. It is also used heavily in new shoots, buds, and leaves. Air contains about 78% nitrogen, but atmospheric nitrogen is not readily available to plants. They must absorb it through the soil. Ammonium and nitrate are both readily available forms of nitrogen, but they are common in chemical fertilizers and leach heavily and quickly out of the soil. Nitrogen can be applied organically in many ways, including composted manure, blood meal, canola meal, fish powder and various liquid organic fertilizers. Keep in mind that many organic dry fertilizers are slow-release, helping the long-term nitrogen content and building up organic matter in the soil.

Nitrogen deficiency is recognized by the yellowing of older leaves, slowing or stopping of growth. Leaves may drop sooner than expected. Excess nitrogen is recognized by extremely fast growth, resulting in long, spindly, weak shoots with dark green leaves.

Phosphorus (P) is important for healthy roots and is used more heavily during blooming and seed set. Phosphorus is easily rendered unavailable to plants when the pH is slightly unbalanced. It is released in soil through decomposing organic matter.

Phosphorus deficiency is recognized by dull green leaves and purplish stems. The plant is generally unhealthy, sometimes yellowing. Lack of blooming with lush green foliage may also indicated a lack of phosphorus. Organic phosphorus can be found in rock phosphate, bone meal and various liquid organic fertilizers such as fish emulsion.

Potassium (K), sometimes known as potash, is important for general health of plants. It is key in the formation of cholorphyll and other plant compounds. Potassium is also known to help with disease resistance.

Potassium deficiency is hard to symptomize, but plants are generally sickly, with small fruit, yellowing from the older leaves upwards, and sickly blooms. Sources of organic potassium include sul-po-mag (sulfate of potash magnesia, quick release), greensand, and liquid fertilizers such as Earth Juice's Meta-K.

Macronutrients:
growing edge said:
Plants need around 16 mineral nutrients for optimal growth. However, not all these nutrients are equally important for the plant. Three major minerals--nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), and potassium (K)--are used by plants in large amounts. These three minerals are usually displayed as hyphenated numbers, like "15-30-15," on commercial fertilizers. These numbers correspond to the relative percentage by weight of each of the major nutrients--known as macronutrients--N, P, and K. Macronutrients are present in large concentrations in plants. All nutrients combine in numerous ways to help produce healthy plants. Usually, sulfur (S), calcium (Ca), and magnesium (Mg) are also considered macronutrients.

Micronutrients

growing edge said:
Boron (B), copper (Cu), cobalt (Co), iron (Fe) manganese (Mn), molybdenum (Mo), and zinc (Zn) are only present in minute quantities in plants and are known as micronutrients. Plants can usually acquire adequate amounts of these elements from the soil, so most commercial fertilizers don't contain all of the micronutrients. Hydroponic growers, however, don't have any soil to provide nutrients for their plants. Therefore, nutrient solution that is marketed for hydroponic gardening contain all the micronutrients.
--Jessica Hankinson

I made a post awhile back that contains the feeding charts for several diffrent products. Now most of these are for the hydro application, but i do have a Fox Farms feedsing chart for soil that i just picked up and i will add that soon.

Hope it helps.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26443

lol this is'nt the post i wanted to put this in. owell

Nice job guy's! Well played.

Latest posts

Back