Slartibartfast's No Rocket Science Yard Weed-2008

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slartibartfast

Don't Panic
Reaction score
I didn't catch on soon enough and start a journal last year, so I'll begin this year's journal with pictures of the September, '07 AK-48 harvest: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showpost.php?p=165052&postcount=1
Much to my surprise, I still have a month or two's worth of it left, even smoking it every day. I mourn the death of my friend's AK-48 mother plant.

I planted my new cuttings on May 25 this year, so here begins my journal.

My plan is the same as last year. I mixed a bag of the same potting soil I use for tomatoes and flowering plants, no special brand, with a generous heap of peat moss and another heap of mushroom compost(not Black Cow, it sucks). All of that goes into a 14" wide pot with generous holes in the bottom edge. Then I work about a teaspoon of the store brand version of Osmocote slow release into the soil, not too deep. Be careful with that stuff, it's easy to use too much. None would probably be okay too.

I buy everything at Lowes. I don't feel the need for premium stuff, we're just growing weeds anyway. I plant a rooted cutting pretty deep, enough to bury the lower leaves, and wet it thoroughly. I like to toss in a hand full of earthworms for good luck too.

After it gets nearly full sized (not too early, or it might grow a little leggy), I mix a weak dose of plant food, like generic Miracle Grow, with a half gallon of water and pour that on them every two or three weeks. I quit that a couple of weeks before harvest.

I hope this doesn't disappoint everyone who strives to use all kinds of fancy stuff, but it works for me.

Here are the first pictures. The small ones are Willie Nelson, which are sativas, and the larger one is Citralah, an indica:
Willie_lo.jpgTwo Willies_lo.jpgcitralah_lo.jpg
I will upload a new picture soon of the Citralah because it showed the first sign of its sex today, and it's gotten a lot bushier and a few inches taller.
I put those oyster shells in the pot just to stop squirrels from digging in it. Plus the temp is over 100 this week, so they help keep it cooler and slow the evaporation.
The Willies will ready for the big pots when their roots get a bit bigger.

Oyster shells work to keep Squirrels from digging?

Thanks

Yeah, they had dug it up three days in a row. No problem since I put the shells on it. Those little pellet looking things sprinkled around the dirt are slug bait.

Those pesky squirrels! They must think they're going to find something special in there or something. Your plants look nice, I'm sure they'll turn into nice beautiful monsters, :).

Any brand for slug bait you remmend?

Lowes or home Dep has oyster shells?

KGB30 said:
Any brand for slug bait you remmend?

Lowes or home Dep has oyster shells?
I use Ortho Bug-Getta for slug bait, but any kind should work. Apply it every 2 or 3 weeks if you need it. Those slugs are nasty nasty.

If you want oyster shells, I recommend you have an oyster roast. That's where mine come from, but the sun has dried all the stinky off of them. We spread them in one corner of the yard where we want the ground covered. The dog loves them while they still have oyster on them. I've never heard of anybody buying opened dried oyster shells.
They're really supposed to be returned to the oyster banks when possible, to give seed oysters a place to attach.

Use rocks or something.

June 26 and the Citralah is 32" tall and looks like it might be getting ready to flower. Little Willy Nelson is 14" tall (I gave away the other Willie). I expect Willie to really shoot up soon. It got off to a slow start, probably going to be a late September harvest for it. I hope the Citralah is sooner because I'm getting low on last year's AK48. Man, that was some premium smoke.

I found tiny grasshoppers on Citralah today, so I covered them with Ortho vegetable garden powder, that ought to choke them. I'd noticed a few leaves had been partially eaten. Now I know the culprit. I hope those little critters don't get any hungrier. Can't poison them after flowers form.

I'll take some pics this weekend.

I bet it is squirrels that dug up a bunch of my girls in the woods..... I just basically dug the hole and filled it with compost and mixed in a bit of top soil.... I got out a few days later and several were dug up by what looked like tree rat claws heh.

Heh, squirrel season opens aug 1 I think here.... Gonna slay some tree rats.

July 24th.
I just spent 15 minutes posting a detailed update and a question. When I clicked "Go Advanced," THE ******* SERVER WAS BUSY and I lost it all.

They're still alive.
Bye.

Thank you for the advice...

hey Slart, when that happens, (server busy), i just hit the go back button, and nothings lost, then hit reply again. sometimes when that happens, you'll have to try several times, and eventually it will post...

Here are Willie in the foreground and Citralah behind it. Willie is 5' 5" tall. Looks like I'll be cutting the Citralah in a few weeks. It's only 36" tall. I tried some the other day and it gives a really nice high already.

I don't know why there's no thumbnail but here is a link to the pic.
View attachment 74811

Here is my last journal entry while growing the Citralah, she gets the axe tomorrow.:D I'll document the drying, curing, and smoking though.:bong1:

Pics taken 8/29/2008
MJ 8-29-2008 001a.jpg Looks like October for Willie Nelson.

MJ 8-29-2008 002a.jpg

October 14th 2008

My Willie Nelson Sativa is doing great in the pot now. It took me a while to realize this was a much more needy plant than the Indicas I've grown the past two summers. I fertilize it every week and if it doesn't get water every day it will wilt and look absolutely pathetic. I've never had a plant that was so damn dramatic.

The main stalk is tied over so much that I tried to take a string and trace it from top to bottom and measure it. I think it's pretty close to 8'. I was told it would be a 5 footer, but they were wrong about that. I was also told about 45 days of flowering. That might be close, around October 24th. That's a Friday, so my impatient *** probably won't wait any longer to cut it.

I've been sampling buds from a lower limb and they give a great high. All clear trichomes, of course.

Meanwhile the Citralah that I cut in September, an Indica, is smoking just fine. I'm looking forward to having two types to choose from when I want to take a hit. I posted a pic of some of that bud somewhere around here. I'll add a link when I find it. When I'm not so stoned.

Willie 10-14-08 001a.jpg

Willie 10-14-08 005a.jpg

Nice tree ya got there brother. I like your fertilizer methods dude. But just to throw this out there try your had at some bat poo and some molasses. You can get some superthrive too at lowes that stuff is awesome. Happy growing bro!

I think my dog would dig it up. She loves sweet dirt. And dirt that tastes like s#it for that matter. But you're right, I really ought to try something special for the flowers. Maybe I'll break down and use a little rocket science after all... but I'm not changing the title of my thread. :D

October 19th
Up in post #15 I said Oct. 24 might be about right, but it ain't going to happen. It's the 19th now and hardly any pistils are brown. so I'm thinking November now. The very top flowers still look very immature. But if I did cut it today, I would still get a load of good smoke. I've cut off a couple of lower branches and dried them behind my computer fan (works great in about 24 hours). They give a powerful buzz that lasts for hours, all clear trichomes though.

Can't wait! Once there done, should provide a wonderful buzz!

These pictures were taken on October 28th, 54 days into flowering. I had some wrong information in my above posts about flowering time. The friend who gave me the clones says the seed package said Willie Nelson flowers from 77 - 91 days. That puts it between November 20th and December 4th, so we have a few weeks to go if I don't get tired of dragging her in at night. Next week is forecast to be above freezing at night, so we might get close. A limb that broke off in a storm two weeks ago gives a really good, long lasting head, so I think this is going to be some great weed.

Hopefully the insurance guy that came to measure my house yesterday missed it. I wrote about that in the Outdoor Growing section.

So, without further babbling... here they are:

Willie 10-28-08_sm.jpg...Willie buds 10-28-08-sm.jpg

If you look closely, you can see the strings going upward to the right, keeping the stalk doubled over. It's about 6 feet vertical from the top of the soil. I have no idea what kind of dried and cured weight she will yield.

Latest posts

Back