2 cent way easy to make CO2 from your household!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papabeach1

Reaction score
dry ice, ice cream stores, .75 per lbs, yeah yeah, and co2 to fill in the chamber, oh well, I was thinking, and I knew theres something easier than that.. yall can do this really easy, all ya got to have is empty one gallon milk plastic carton.. add lot of sugar, maybe half or 2/4 then add water, and make a little hole for the tube like usually go to the buds area in flowering room. the hole should be near the cap top. now the final process, drop the yeast in the milk carton, it will begin makin co2 itself less hassle than dry ices!! put em in the flowering room and plug in the tube to the hole that goes to around the buds, I hope I helps. those is brillant I ever though of!

papabeach1 said:
dry ice, ice cream stores, .75 per lbs, yeah yeah, and co2 to fill in the chamber, oh well, I was thinking, and I knew theres something easier than that.. yall can do this really easy, all ya got to have is empty one gallon milk plastic carton.. add lot of sugar, maybe half or 2/4 then add water, and make a little hole for the tube like usually go to the buds area in flowering room. the hole should be near the cap top. now the final process, drop the yeast in the milk carton, it will begin makin co2 itself less hassle than dry ices!! put em in the flowering room and plug in the tube to the hole that goes to around the buds, I hope I helps. those is brillant I ever though of!
Then distill and drink... :D

Runbyhemp said:
I tried the old yeast in the bottle trick myself. Didn't seem to do anything for me.
I agree 100%. This is a very poor method of Co2 induction. In order to benefit from Co2, you must be able to totally control ppm, air circulation/venting, temperatures, ect.
Yeast and sugar just makes a mess and stinks.. IMO.

hmm... that was my theory, but is there something we can improve it? cuz we can make beers with these leftovers ;) let me think of something to push co2 to the tube... maybe better to use the bucket, and have air pump hang under the lid and seal it really good, plug in the air pump to run the co2 to the tube? what about this? its 2-cent theory project pls help everybody out...

tanks, regulators, emitters, thermostatic controled venting, uhmmm. That's all that comes to mind instantly, give me a bit, I'll think of more.... :)

toke@smoke420 said:
anyone ever use club soda? just check its ph and adjust to your ph level for watering. i havent tried it yet but am going to maybe today.
ive used it as a foliar spay:hubba:

you mean this one ?
hxxp://www.planetnatural.com/site/chi-foliar-spray.html
change xx to tt just a reminder

just that, does it do the same as what co2 does, maybe I can get chi plants around the crops?

Pothead420 said:
ive used it as a foliar spay:hubba:

papabeach1 said:
dry ice, ice cream stores, .75 per lbs, yeah yeah, and co2 to fill in the chamber, oh well, I was thinking, and I knew theres something easier than that.. yall can do this really easy, all ya got to have is empty one gallon milk plastic carton.. add lot of sugar, maybe half or 2/4 then add water, and make a little hole for the tube like usually go to the buds area in flowering room. the hole should be near the cap top. now the final process, drop the yeast in the milk carton, it will begin makin co2 itself less hassle than dry ices!! put em in the flowering room and plug in the tube to the hole that goes to around the buds, I hope I helps. those is brillant I ever thoughof!
co2 is only benificaial if theres almoast no ventilation instead of bad air you bring the co2 so high it dont matter and the plants love it but it takes alot more than can be provided by that method i used to use a tank and an injector and i only used it in situations that have bad air circulation i find if you give your plants plenty of fresh air its about the same as no air flow and co2. i tried everything on timers before the co2 would go on for a half hour the vents would shut off for and hour so the co2 had an hour to seap into the plants every other hour but it worked better closed off with loads of co2 so i just go with alot of fresh air intake its all i need and it dont cost money for fresh air:hubba:

papabeach1 said:
you mean this one ?
hxxp://www.planetnatural.com/site/chi-foliar-spray.html
change xx to tt just a reminder

just that, does it do the same as what co2 does, maybe I can get chi plants around the crops?
just plain carbonated water from any local store i dont even now if it works ive never done a side by side with it. its a old hippie grower who told me that so i just did it it and been doing it since dont hurt them thats for sure;)

Just open a can of pepsi in your grow area, works about the same. lol

The best way to use CO2 is in a sealed grow room where there is no ventilation. The only ventilation you should have is to cool your lights. Then you need a dehumidifier to control humidity, possibly an ac unit to control temp (unlikely if you cool your lights well enough) and thats about it. Well thats the basics :p. You need to bring the PPM up to 1500 while its lights on and then back down to about 600-800 ppm's while its lights off. I'm working towards a sealed room setup and every paycheque and harvest brings me one step closer :p.

Oh ps you could stand in your grow room and just breath naturally and you would release more CO2 than that bucket would.

i was told about the same thing.. even the hydro guy told me about it. 5 gal bucket. ale sugar and water and a block of yeast. open hole on the bucket with a ceap fish tank air pump. put some tubes from the pump to the bae of the plant.. last one week and stinks

Hick said:
I agree 100%. This is a very poor method of Co2 induction. In order to benefit from Co2, you must be able to totally control ppm, air circulation/venting, temperatures, ect.
Yeast and sugar just makes a mess and stinks.. IMO.

Well, I agree with what you're saying totally, but I would just like to add that I still think it's possible for the sugar and yeast method to be beneficial without having the rest of your i's dotted and t's crossed. For instance, I started my veg by adding a 5 gallon bucket filled with sugar water and yeast on a piece of toast, and even though I majorly overfed my babies and subjected them to high temps for 7 weeks of flowering, they're still mighty big and healthy. Of course, I can't at all say what is responsible for what, but that wouldn't lead me to conclude that using the sugar water and yeast method for increasing CO2 isn't something that would be worthwhile to experiment with even if you don't have the most scientific grow setup. Also, there is no smell or mess. It's actually quite simply to set up, and once it's set up, it requires absolutely no attention. So besides the price of the sugar and the packet of yeast, it's a pretty no lose situation.

BTW, these are the instructions I went by when putting together my CO2 setup. They are one of many docs I downloaded a while back, in a pack called "Complete Canabis Grow Library". So nice info, there.

Stickydank’s basic CO2 method

* 10lb. white sugar
* 5 gallon clean bucket W/lid
* 4 1/2 gallons of water
* A piece of toast browned and hard
* A table spoon of dry active yeast (for baking bread)

First boil the water, (this will ensure clean water) remove from the heat and add the sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves. Let cool until water is room temperature (if you don't let it cool down it won't work). After the sugar water has cooled, float the piece of toast on top of the water. Now, empty the tablespoon of yeast over the toast. After a few days, the yeast will take over the toast and start making bubbles (CO2) in the bucket. After a week, the amount of bubbling (CO2) will increase. Keep the lid airtight on the bucket. CO2 travels up the dispersion tubing, and due to it being heavier than air, falls directly onto your plants. Timing your exhaust, is essential in maintaining an effective level of CO2. Editors Note: Unfortunately the author of this contribution has not been able to test the CO2 levels produced using his method. Personally, I would use a CO2 analysis kit to help manage (exhaust timing etc), and maintain, an optimum level of around 1500PPM.

edit: although, after typing all that, I went and opened up my sugar and water bucket for the first time in months, and this is what I saw, so who knows how long I've been getting results out of that bucket. lol

But maybe just with my plants seeing it there, there was a placebo effect and they kept growing as if there was more CO2 in the room than there actually was. ;) :ignore:

Though I can say that it was still bubbling a couple months after I first set it up, before I sealed it, so it does have a decent amount of life to it.

Aurora_Indicas_Dad said:
what brand of carbonated water are you guys using as a foliar spray?

I use "Big K Sparkling Water" from Krogers. Just make sure when you look at the side panel that you see this. :D

IMG_2087s.jpg

IMG_2088s.jpg

IMG_2091s.jpg

This got me intregued so i done some calculations:

this is the reaction for the fermentation of sugar

C6H12O6(aq) = 2CH3CH2OH(aq) + 2CO2(g)
Glucose = 2XEthanol + 2Xcarbon dioxide
180.15588g = 92.13688g + 88.019g

so if you had 1kilo of sugar, you would get about 400g of CO2 (knowing that sugar isn't pure glucose)

so i can't see this working on a small scale, hope i cleared things up

peace

to cover up smell I burn incense. To add CO2 to my plants I keep them in my bedroom where I often breath out CO2 hehe

Sorry can't help. just felt like posting something random :)

i read somewhere that the reaction when vinegar is added to bi-carbonate of soda produces CO2. i have no idea as to what quantities required but maybe someone out there has the knowledge.

Latest posts

Back