Blue Mystic - Gettin' Sideways!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vegs

Reaction score
Here goes my very first grow journal. From this experience I hope to learn new tricks from others in the community and enhance my skills as well as meet and share experiences with other members.

Strain:
  • Blue Mystic (Nirvana)
  • Pedigree: Blueberry X Skunk
  • Flowering: 7-9 Weeks
  • Plant Height: Short - Mostly Indica
  • Stoned or High? Stoned - Indica Body Buzz
  • Difficulty: Experienced
Setup:
  • 10 Tray Ebb n Flow system
  • 400w HPS (Full Spectrum Bulb)
  • 25w T5 Fluorescent fixture
  • 265 CFM Blower known as 'squirrel cage' fans with Y-split
  • Small Clip-on Fan
  • Carbon Can Filter
Nutrients & Liquids:
  • 3 Part Mix General Hydroponics
  • Kool Bloom
  • Distilled Water

I just planted 3 freshly plucked seeds of one pheno that displayed dark blue to purple hues and was tall and healthy while I planted 7 seeds of the second pheno which displayed dark purple to almost black hues but short and stout.

My setup is also kind of weird as you can see from the three photo's below. I am using my light at the side versus the more traditional approach of mounting above the plants. This was mainly needed due to height constraints. This does lend itself toward a dark spot on the opposite sides once plants get taller and the need for short growing plants or a lot of LST. However, I have one 25w T5 Flouro in that spot/side and plan to add a few more in due time to help brighten up that side.

I have separated the growing chamber from the light chamber with 1/4 inch non-UV glass and also pull separate ventilation for each to keep the room nice and cool. Mylar wraps the entire interior to help increase light reflection. I need as much as I can get. All in all, surprisingly enough my babies do not grow sidways...just a little lean to the light.

I sprout my seeds directly in the rockwool plugs and hydroton. No paper towels or other techniques here. As you can see, I offset each plug away from the light source because later on I will bend and prune each one toward to light to get more branch growth.

Currently, I am on a 18/6 light cycle with 3 - 15 minute feeding intervals. I am only using plain distilled water till I get seedlings.

Hopefully I learn some new tricks and secrets from everyone as well as hopefully help others in their grows. Cheers!

LeftView.JPG

TopView.JPG

RightView.JPG

Nice micro grow setup you got there. You planning on growing 12/12 straight from seed or are you going to veg for a bit? If you are going to veg might I suggest you use a screen (like you mentioned in the hemp goddess' thread). It would eliminate that dark spot and could make for a damn cool grow.

goodluck ,,,,im just coming to harvest with blue,mystic :hubba: turning out to be avery plesant smoke :48:

This is going to be a cool grow Vegs :) Your going to have to turn your plants every day so they grow stright or even twice a day. How tall is your grow space? That is going to have a huge part on your grow. If you have say two and a half feet, you should veg for 18/6 for two weeks and then 12/12 just to get the most height you can get :) Am going to be watching this one. This is going to be a crazy. I wish you all the luck you may need a lot because I have some odd thoughts on this one :aok:

Yeah, no doubt =)

You planning on growing 12/12 straight from seed or are you going to veg for a bit? If you are going to veg might I suggest you use a screen (like you mentioned in the hemp goddess' thread). It would eliminate that dark spot and could make for a damn cool grow.

I was planning on running 18/6 for 4 weeks till flower then switch to 12/12. However, I'm on day 6 and still no beans have popped. I'm thinking the temps are too low inside for germination. I may have to resort to a method I'm not a fan of and that's germinating in a cup of water till the seeds crack or in a towel. I'll give them a few more days then replace with other Blue Mystic beans or my new Super Silver Haze.

The sideways screen on a 45 degree angle is definitely something I can use with Indica's. When I grow a Sativa variety like SSH I'm going to have to get rather creative with LST and pruning to make that happen in my less then 3 foot vertical space.

This is going to be a crazy. I wish you all the luck you may need a lot because I have some odd thoughts on this one

Right on bro! I've grown two cycles in this area already and have the space down to a science but with Sativa's I'm going to have to get really creative. Thanks for the idea of rotating my plants...I never thought of that.

goodluck ,,,,im just coming to harvest with blue,mystic turning out to be avery plesant smoke

I have to be honest...I've had my hands in the cookie jar and have sampled my fair share of all three pheno's from the recent harvest. You're right...it's mellow, doesn't stink too much, and looks really pretty. I'm sure it will get better after some curing. However, it's nothing that's putting me in on my arse. I'm hoping AK48 or Aurora Indica will do just that.

I went in today with a pair of tweezers and pulled out all 10 beans to find out none sprouted or were even cracked. So I replace all 10 with 5 beans from each pheno. I also increased the temps to facilitate germination. The clock starts over...

I have one sprout I can clearly see the white arc about to pop out from the surface! I'm hoping more will follow shortly!

sounds like a very interesting grow vegs :D Will be watching along and learning, thanks for sharing :)

Well it's day 5 and I have 7 sprouts. The other three I'm not so sure about. But just in case I put 5 seeds in a cup to play with the technique before applying it to my SSH or Mazar X Afghan beans. 18 hours later those 5 beans are swollen and three are ready to get in the game, if needed.

I love watching sprouts pop. They grow up so darn fast sniff...

Oh yeah...

The glass of water to pop seeds is a snap (not that I thought it was going to be)! The 5 beans that were soaking swollen up and most cracked open. They were easy to spot because of the white bulges from the cracks along the side. This was nice because it especially made it easy to sift through the ones that did not crack open.

I planted 3 of the cracked beans so now I should have 10 to choose from later on. Although three will always be a week behind their fellow neighbors, I'll have to wait a bit before introducing nutrients too not burn the young tender sprouts.

Congrats on the soon-to-be-seedlings. I'm sure they'll live happy lives under your care and attention. And you have SSH beans?? I've read a little about that strain and apparently the high is suer amazing! Too bad it's such a long flower though, I've read up to 16 weeks... crazy.

Anyways, I hope to see some pictures uploaded soon.

I'm crossing my fingers for a 11-12 week flowering cycle for the SSH beans. =)

It's day 7 for the second round of beans I planted and those 7 sprouts are looking healthy except for 2 which I am not so sure about. The third round of beans which were soaked in the cup have sprouted so they are at day 1. I know it's a debacle but I need to fill-up the real estate. Looks like I may have to veg for an extra week to 5 total to accommodate for the late comers. <shrug> Bigger buds for those older ones I presume. =)

Here's a pic of those 7 sprouts. There's really nothing exciting going on here... I just recently added some FloraGro & FloraMicro to the party in a very low amount too not shock the kids. I actually use almost 70% less then the manufacturer recommends overall to avoid burning.

Day7BM.JPG

Day 16/10 (round 2 beans/round 3 beans) and it's time to do some LST and pruning.

Once you see the two pictures you'll see why I offset each rockwool plug from the very start. I tie down each plant once their 6th or 7th set of leaves show as well as top each one. I'm shooting for 6-8 main stalks from each plant to save on vertical growth and increase yield. You'll also noticed I drilled three holes in the sides of each container to help with holding up or moving mature branches as well as LST. They are just big enough to thread some common craft thread through.

LST20509.JPG

LST20509_1.JPG

Cool setup Vegs. Ive grown the Blue Mystic and the AK48 and I must say the BM is great but the AK is Amazing. Good luck!

And I think fresh seeds need about 30 days to sit before you germ them. Maybe that has something to do with the weird germ rates.

Thanks...I'll be doing AK48 next and then SSH once this grow is over.

And I think fresh seeds need about 30 days to sit before you germ them. Maybe that has something to do with the weird germ rates.

I think you're right on the money. My thought was the fresher out the bud the better chances for rapid sprouting but I guess I was wrong.

Latest posts

Back