Stretching airy bud problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blowinsmoke

Democracy 51 to 49 U Lose
Reaction score
I'm at 8 weeks and my plants aren't done. they've been stretching at the colas and the buds are airy. I have two 600 watt hps over two plants I started from seed. Any ideas why they're stretching and airy?

Picture 008.jpg

Picture 009.jpg

Picture 010.jpg

What that looks like is lights to far from plants. You said seed. I'm betting bagseed. Sativas take longer to flower then Indicas generally, and most bagseed unless from high quality is going to be Sativa or Sativa mix. Your flower time is going to be longer and your plant is going to stretch more. Of course these are assuptions. Do you know your strain? How far away is your light from the plant?
From the look of things, you still have a ways to go and just need to lower your light and give them more time.

i would only have to agree with D.S.A thats a very visible sativa might take 12 weeks or more depending on the strain for full harvest and u have diffrent harvest windows each time depending on ur high for that u can test it when u feel its right and see how the high goes for u. other than the lights wht nutes would u be using atm.

The strain is K2 I'm having heat problem, so I'm having to keep my lights further away to keep temp down. Could heat stress be the problem?

Even at 8 weeks with a sative you should be looking much better than that. Without reading any further than the first post I was fairly sure you had a bad herat problem, and your last post def. confirmed my suspicions. Heat stress produces really airy buds and stunts plant development. You need to do whatever you can to get the heat lowered in that room. Pulling the lights back will only cause more stretching and airier buds (low light also causes loose airy bud) but if all you can do right now is pull back the lights, do it as a temporary fix untill you can really adress the heat issue, which you should do, fast. At this point I don't know how much your plants can recover, but heat is def. the issue.

Ok. I think it's my bulbs that are causing my heat problem. I have three 600 watts. Two over these plants and one over two other plants. The two agrosun bulbs get hot. I vent and use cool tube and everything with no luck. The one Phillips stays pretty cool. I'm going to switch bulbs around tomorrow and see what happens.

Yeah this crop is dunfer! I just don't want to repeat it next time.

what kind of venting do you have for your actual grow room, it would be better just to get a high powered blower constatnly moving fresh cool air into your room rather than changing bulbs if you don't already, cause those are nice bulbs...

I have a 8" 500 cfm fan exhausting in the ceiling, 4" 80cfm cooling tube fans pulling air over my bulbs. A 6" 250cfm intake fan and 5 5" passive intake holes. I switched the bulbs and that wasn't the problem.

I really don't understand why I'm having so much trouble cooling these lights. I've never experienced this before. My fans are running in the right direction. I checked for about the twentieth time today. It's still cold here. I don't know???

What's you house temps? I keep my whole house at about 65 just so my grow room temps never go above 75... Do your reflectors have glass on em to enclose the light and make the removal of their heat easier? That helps alot if you don't have em already...

Yeah my house is cold. there is about a 2 or 3 inch space between the glass tube and the exhaust ducting. my bulbs are longer then the glass tube. The strange thing is I have one light that is staying cool. around 75 degrees. I'm beginning to think it has to do with the way the ducting is running in my crawl space.
I'm pretty confused

maybe switch your 250 cfm fan to pull air over your lights and use your 80 cfm fan as your intake (ignore this of course if you are using a carbon filter). 80 cfm is still a good air refresh rate if you're growing in something closet sized...

To cool 1800w of HID I would use a fan of 600cfm's or greater. I run 8 600w Hortilux bulbs I have 2 reflectors per each 737 8" HO Can Fan. This keeps the lights cool enough that the plants can touch my glass and only get a little light bleaching, they never burn. I bet the fans you have cooling your bulb are those axial duct fans, you need a centrifugal style fan.

I bought a 10" 700 cfm fan the other day. I'm going to cut down those two in dirt and change everything. I think I'm going to try to dig out my crawl space some too. Thanks for the help.

How far away are your lights? I'm running some 600's and i can have em at 12-14 inch away with no signs of any yellowing or burn.
They sylvania bulbs

I have mine about 6 inches away from the canopy. Like I said they can touch the glass and not burn. If they start to get a little yellow from light bleaching I back em off a few inches. The only ones that ever seem to get light bleached are the WW, most of my other strains can handle it for quite sometime before they see any adverse effects. Here is a link to the fans I use, it is the RS8HO

http://www.canfilters.com/fan_metal_home.html

I not using cool tubes though.
Will be doing next time round money permiting

BuddyLuv said:
I have mine about 6 inches away from the canopy. Like I said they can touch the glass and not burn. If they start to get a little yellow from light bleaching I back em off a few inches. The only ones that ever seem to get light bleached are the WW, most of my other strains can handle it for quite sometime before they see any adverse effects. Here is a link to the fans I use, it is the RS8HO

http://www.canfilters.com/fan_metal_home.html

Do leaves recover from bleaching effect? Had this happen week or so ago and backed lights well off cos thought it was burning not bleaching, maybee they were i dont know they just yellowed a bit on few parts of few leaves :)

If you burn them the part affected will die. With bleaching you will get yellow tints to the leaf and if you back them off it usually goes away after awhile.

I do not use cooltubes as they suck for reflecting light. I use Easy Cool 6 hoods from HTG.

Latest posts

Back