Is a 5 Gallon pot enough to grow a 4 foot plant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

accid

Simple question really. Is it optimal or would something a bit bigger be better ?

I will be using 4.75 gallon, they are square. I could increase to a 7 - 8 gallon but really.. how much of a diff would that make?

I am using 400w HPS to flower, this is my first grow.

Let me know what you all think and what you guys use. Thanks

Hello Accid :)

1 Gallon to 1 foot of plant height and you cant go wrong ;)

:peace:

If i have bigger gallons, lets say 7-8, will it produce more bud?

well i just finished mine up a few months back. Used a 400w mh for veg and the 400 hps to flower. Used 5 gallon pots from seed and actually topped a few times. All my girls were over 4 feet. I had two that were eye level with me and im 6 foot 3. I did feed alot, my main point here is that upon cutting the girls down i took the time to look at each plants rootball. All my plants had become a little bit root bound on the bottom, one was bad. maybe go bigger, could be fun:hubba:

Answer to Hippie: Limits to growth built in to the genome.

To answer the original question: I have grown 10 foot sativas in 5 gallon pots with a yield of over 1 lb per plant and they would have got bigger if I hadn't had to top them because they'd be seen over the garden wall.
It depends on your strain. Pure indicas won't even be able to use a 5 gallon pot.

a general "rule of thumb".. is 1 gal of medium for 1 foot of vertical plant.... however
..the size of the plant is in direct relation to the size of the root ball/zone. The more room you give the roots to grow, the bigger the plant "can" become.
A larger pot and longer veg period will produce larger plants.

IMO vegging is all about root development. I have circumvented being rootbound in too small of a container by using the air pots. they air prune the roots, keeping root mass at its maximum.

umbra.. this is the second time I've heard about this "air trimming" or 'light trimming'.. of roots.
please elaborate.. or post me a link. As you might have guessed, I don't 'get out' much..;)

no problem

hxxp://www.superoots.com :D

they have a great video of how they work at that site.

IMHO 5 gallon buckets are more than sufficient.

Larger Buckets = Larger Area = Less Light Penetration.

I just finished growing out 8 plants in 5 gallon buckets under 2- 400w MH / HPS bulbs. Vegged 6 weeks, flowered 10 weeks, yielded 3/4 lb (Sativa dom strain). With lst, height was kept at about 3 feet.

Way too many variables involved to say emphatically what works best. Once you've grown in your environment, you'll know what to do next time. Experience will dictate what size to use next time.

Good luck to you. Let us know what you go with and how it works out.

I've grown 6' tall bagseed in 5 gal. buckets, but had to water a BUNCH by the end and was hard to regulate ph because of how rootbound they were by the end. And I dont know about 500' tall hippy, but I've heard stories from Viet-Nam vets who claimed they climbed 30' tall pot "trees" to get some smoke over in the jungle.

umbra said:
no problem

hxxp://www.superoots.com :D

they have a great video of how they work at that site.
Very cool design they have going on there and I like the concept of their products. I believe I am going to invest in some of these. Do you know if they sell these any where in the US rather than ordering from the UK? And thank you for posting their web site. I have allways preached about the importance of oxygen to the root zone and it seems they have it covered pretty well...take care..

I posted this in another thread but it is a funny pic and practical to your question. This kity liter bin is actually a 5 gallon container, the plant has finished stretching at about 4 feet. I had to tie the tops down. It was flowered at a height of only 1 foot, but a lot of the vertical growth as you can see was from stretch, hopefully she fills out a lot by the time she is done. but a 4 foot pant in a 5 gallon pot? Yes, easily, as long as the pot is DEEP enough.

However with only a 400HPS for flowering your light does not have much penetration. I would want the plants as short and dense as possible. Your yield woud also greatly benefit from SCROG or LST to keep your plants short and bushy or create a flat canopy so that you can hit it hard with the 400HPS.

Jack Herer cat1.JPG

Sir_Tokie said:
Very cool design they have going on there and I like the concept of their products. I believe I am going to invest in some of these. Do you know if they sell these any where in the US rather than ordering from the UK? And thank you for posting their web site. I have allways preached about the importance of oxygen to the root zone and it seems they have it covered pretty well...take care..

hxxp://aroidiaresearch.org/airpots/terms.htm :cool:

Here's another version. I saw them at our hydro store. They feel like felt.
hxxp://www.smartpots.com/

Latest posts

Back