First grow #1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callawave

AKAW!!
Reaction score
4 x DNA Genetics Rocklock + 4 x Seedism Killa-Watt, both fem.
08-10-09:
Wet 8 seeds in Root-Riot cubes, placed in propagator.
13-10-09:
All 8 seeds up. Placed under 250 watt florescent. (18 hours).
22-10-09:
Planted Riot cubes into clay pebbles.
Started nutes (Aqua Vega + Rhizotonic) @ EC 1.2 & pH 5.6
Fired up 600 watt Sunmaster. (18 hours). Adjusted height (Canopy 85f – 58% Humidity).
29-10-09:
Upped nute strength to EC 1.3. pH rose to 6.2. (Lowered to 5.6 with 10 drops pH down)

Grow 1.jpg

Grow 2.jpg

I gonna pull up a chair and let these babies show me what they got....GREEN MOJO comin at ya.....

Welcome. Nice of you to stop by, and please feel free to pipe-up if it all looks like going pear-shaped anywhere along the line.
I can't believe the whole grow will be as smooth as the first three weeks. lol.

POST #2
05-11-09:
Progress report for the end of week four.
All seems to be progressing OK. But as two people have signed-up for this grow, I thought I’d be a little more detailed. So!
The Killa-Watt (the back four plants in the photo) have definitely got a lot more going on. They seem the stronger, stockier and fuller looking strain so far.
The Rocklock seem a little thinner growth wise, with just a touch more height, possibly due to more Sativa in their genetics. They may ‘fill-out’ node-wise as they mature.
I have one Rocklock (front left plant) which I’ve dubbed "the runt of the litter". It looks healthy enough, just seems to be a couple of days behind the rest.
As this is my first ever attempt, I only have what I’ve read as a guide to how things are going.
I’ve given up counting new leaves and nodes, as they’re shooting up and out all over the place.
The stems are still green but no longer tender and I can see nice white roots creeping out through the pebbles, so I’d say all eight plants are now established. Now it’s up to me not to Killa them. :rofl:
I’m upping the nutes to EC 1.4 and increasing the number of waterings. I’ve been adding four to six drops of pH down every other day to hold it at around 5.6.
I’m also topping up the seventeen-gallon sump each day with between six and eight pints of RO water. Presumably mostly due to absorption through the clay pebbles and evaporation due to the bulbs heat, rather than the plants drinking it all. The evaporation seems good for the humidity though, as it tends to hold between 46 and 58%.
Temperature has been holding at around 80f during light period and around 68f at night. We had a very mild snap last week and it rose to 90f. Luckily, the only thing between the plants and the Atlantic Ocean is about fifty yards of sand. So opening the door a few inches soon brought it down. I don’t suppose the ozone will do much harm either.
I’m really surprised (so’s my wife) that there’s already a strong smell of cheesy skunk when I first unzip the tent. I thought they only started to smell during the flowering phase. Is that usual? If so, what the hell are they going to smell like when they do flower?
I’ll report in next Thursday for an update and fresh pickies, unless something goes wrong in the mean time. If anything looks amiss to anyone, please pipe-up and let me know!
Sticky buds to you all.

#1.jpg

#2.jpg

#3.jpg

#4.jpg

#5.jpg

looks like you've got everything under control, nice job,
have you got a plan to take care of the odor?

brushybill said:
nice job, have you got a plan to take care of the odor?
No. But I'm open to any suggestions Bill.
Got a feeling it's gonna get pretty whiffy when they flower. :holysheep:

POST #3
12-11-09:
Progress report for the end of week five.
Going to12 x 12. Fresh nutes (Aqua-Vega lowered to EC 1.2)
The smell has gone from cheesy-skunk to peppery-nettles.
Hard to believe these things were seeds five weeks ago.
I am SO into this now, I’m already hunting the seed-banks for what to try next.:woohoo:

12-11-09 #1.jpg

12-11-09 #2.jpg

12-11-09 #3.jpg

IronLungs said:
What shakin Callawave?
Using a 6x24 "Phresh" carbon filter. It was like 180.00 USD. The cost really hurt but I needed help.
My stink issue was 100 % resolved ! ! !
Hi IronLungs.
I’ve got a good extraction filter, but what I need is something outside to ‘mask’ smells when I’ve been working with the tent open.
Nobody goes near the area where the tent’s situated, but I have mates in and out of the house all the time, so I’d like to cover escaped odours.
Not that I don’t trust my mates. But the buggers would be crying into their coffee and begging me for some. We can’t have that, can we? (Kidding) (NOT!)
PS.
Thought I’d post another pickie ‘cause I can’t believe how these things have filled out in the two days since the last one. I had to raise my oscillating fans onto boxes.
Lucky I’m on the beach, ‘cause I believe the only thing that kills Triffids is seawater. :shocked:

14-11-09 #1.jpg

Callawave, that certainly is a very nice setup. You're off to a great start!

Found my first two white pistils :clap: They’re extremely tiny, but they’re there!
Feminised seeds can go hermie I know. But I’ve given them the best conditions I can and they’ve shown no signs of stress at any time throughout the grow.
So here’s hoping. :rolleyes:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

MindzEye said:
Ive been looking at the rocklock, I just have access to the elite clones so I dont make many seed orders but that is one Ive been wondering about...
Hi MindzEye.
I’m really hopeful for the Rocklock. It seemed to be a little slower getting started than the Killa-Watt, but its caught up nicely now. There are loads of side shoots growing and that’s the strain I’ve found a pair of pistils on. So I’m hoping to see some fruit soon. :rolleyes:

22-11-09
Now I’ve seen a few pistils I’ve changed nutes to Aqua-Flores @ EC 1.3.
Starting to worry a little about headroom. I’m moving the light up the chain every couple of days and hope growth’ll slow down soon. I’ve only got about a foot left to play with, and I don’t want to start trying to bend them out now. Though I might think about that for the next grow.
Glad I didn’t choose Sativas :holysheep:

hey man just stopped by to admire your lovely green garden!!!great work...i've just started my first grow and i'm hoping mine go half as good as yours!!!green mojo to ya

reidser said:
hey man just stopped by to admire your lovely green garden!!!great work...i've just started my first grow and i'm hoping mine go half as good as yours!!!green mojo to ya
Thanks Reidser.
I’ll have to wait until I reap the fruit before I consider it a success. So far, so good.
I hope your grow is as green as your country :farm:
Don’t forget to start a journal, (I’ll be looking out) and if you do have any problems, you can’t do any better than the advise you’ll receive here. Good luck :D

Hi Callawave
Too funny, I came from your Grow Journal thinking, wait until this guys gets a load of his growth over the next week or so.
I'm totally new and don't no crap about anything except that I got a good laugh when I found your thread "When Will Things Slow Down" I'm still chuckling. I was wondering the same exact thing!!!
I can feel you excitment along with your concern from here!!! We should be harvesting at about the same time.
They look great!!!
Peace MBT

PS Mine are WW they slowed up on vertical growth but they are bushing
out like crazy. Good Luck!!!

Latest posts

Back