Monkeying around with a Scrog..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeybusiness

98% chimp
Reaction score
Well after all the crazyness round here today it's time to refocus on that thing we all love so much.

Anyone up for a Scrog?

These are 2 mother plants of Dinafem's California Hashplant that I decided to flower out in process of getting rid of the strain. A clone went hermie on me so they can't be trusted any longer. Granted the clone's air tube had become dislodged so it was fighting for it's life, but still, it went a hermie..
(I did take a couple clones so i can play with bonsai trimming and hav a reference point since i know how she normally reacts to trimming)

This 1st pic is from a while back when i first placed them under the screen. I've since changed to a PVC frame so there'd be more screen space.

0.JPG

and these are from today. Got some more work to do in there tomorrow then i should be flipping the lights!!:D

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

GreenMurph said:
Looking good monkey...keep it up. ill be pulling up a chair.

What are the dimensions of ur screen?

:48:

Glad to have ya on board!
Screen is 4ft x 4ft under a 1000 watt HPS

Yep, that's just 2 Mothers. And sadly, when i was switching from the wood frame to the PVC frame i dropped the wood frame and ripped one plant right in half. So while it healed the other plant took over and covers 2/3rds of the screen now.

I also should have said earlier, they are in 5 Gallon Bubbler buckets (on a recirculating system)

Very hard to take a picture of underneath but here's a couple

A.JPG

B.JPG

wow dude that's a very big canopy for only 2 plants.

are you planning to trim the leaves underneath the canopy or just let them be?

Wow--what a great job filling the screen evenly. It looks great.

I think I would be for trimming some of the growth under the screen to get better air flow.

Smot_poker said:
wow dude that's a very big canopy for only 2 plants.

are you planning to trim the leaves underneath the canopy or just let them be?

Yeppers. Definitely big for 2 plants.
I always wanted to try a scrog but never wanted to devote the space/time etc, but when my last round went hermie i suddenly found myself with downtime and space AND 2 mothers to get rid of. And as upsetting as the hermie thing was i decided to try to turn it into something positive, so a scroggin i go!

I had debated trimming or just letting em die but have been leaning more toward trimming. No that the Hemp Goddess recomends trimming I'll choose that path for sure.

RiskyPack said:
I like them big and bushy just like the one I'm growing atm

Sweet, look forward to checking out your progress!

The Hemp Goddess said:
Wow--what a great job filling the screen evenly. It looks great.

I think I would be for trimming some of the growth under the screen to get better air flow.

Thanks a ton! Great to recieve positive feedback from someone of your caliber, not to mention from someone who has also done a very successful scrog.
Man, it was a lot of little time spent pushing them tops back under, day after day after day.. It adds up quick! HAA
Trimming defenitely in the near future.

A couple of updated pics. Not a lot going on. Just barely starting to bud up.
This is where the real excitement begins!

A.JPG

B.JPG

Looking great I have height issues so think I may try scrog next
Happy new year me thinks

GreenMurph said:
wow man cant wait to see your yield. So many tops
GreenMurph- Thanks! Indeed, this is the part where all the excitement bubbles up my consciousness as i watch as all the buds take form. Hashplant can put on some weight too so i have very high hopes.

RonJay said:
Looking great I have height issues so think I may try scrog next
Happy new year me thinks

RonJay- Thanks! I am definitely digging the scrog method though the vegetating period can be a long one getting the screen to fill in, especially if are only starting with 2 plants like i did. I think the only way to use a scrog effectively for a perpetual harvest would be to use smaller modular scrogs, which i might try next.

hay monkeybusiness you dont mind if i pull up a chair ive been looking in to scrog and fancy having a go at you dont learn with out trying it would be good to follow and see how to do it how long did you veg them for to fill the screen and do you just feed the bud site to the top of screen?
ps they look good man nice job:)

fruity86 said:
hay monkeybusiness you dont mind if i pull up a chair ive been looking in to scrog and fancy having a go at you dont learn with out trying it would be good to follow and see how to do it how long did you veg them for to fill the screen and do you just feed the bud site to the top of screen?
ps they look good man nice job:)

Welcome aboard!
Can't remember how long the vegging took but it was a while, especially considering there's only 2 plants.
When you're filling the screen you just keep pulling them back under as they start to grow through the screen until it's about 3/4 full. Then when you flower you keep pulling them back under for a little while until the screen is full. Then just let em go once the buds start forming. Buds grow right up outta the screen.

MB looks great & good to see that you are training plants correctly. ive seen many bad attempts out there. have you finished trimming scrub underneath & just curious how & if youre gunna do the multi-scrog grow? def pullin up a chair for this as i love scrog.

docfishwrinkle said:
MB looks great & good to see that you are training plants correctly. ive seen many bad attempts out there. have you finished trimming scrub underneath & just curious how & if youre gunna do the multi-scrog grow? def pullin up a chair for this as i love scrog.
Thanks for the kind words docfishwrinkle!
Although i did quite a bit of research it's definitely been an ongoing experiment for me.

I must say, I'm fascinated by the concept and the even canopy it produces but the vegging time is a killer, which is why i've been considering a modular setup. Dividing that same area among 6 plants would save a lot of screen filling time in vegging mode. Least that's the theory I'm chewing on. That way i could have 6 filling their screens while 6 are flowering. I built a single modular unit and am gonna do some experiments on how long it takes for a clone to fill it. Then if i get a sweet enough harvest from the present scrog grow, I will probably give it a whirl..

scrog mod.JPG

hey MB that sure looks like a good idea 6 plants 6 screens 6x as quick could you just put 6 plants under 1 screen or is it so you can veg in a second room?

ive just read your post again wot i just asked is wot you mean im stoned:D :D

Latest posts

Back