2nd Journal! 15 lovely green ladies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PartyBro420

Canucks Fan
Reaction score
Hey all! So my last grow of the Vertigo turned out pretty decently. I ended up with 1/4lb of bud. Still smoking on that while I type. It doesn't have a very skunky scent, it's like a heavy leafy fruity smell. The buds weren't very dense but a lot of them were completely purple. I think I probably cut the first two of three down a week too early, I wasn't keeping close enough watch on the amount of time I had been flowering them because I went on vacation during the grow.

For this grow I'll be vegging 15 plants in soil, under 2x 1000w MH lamps. I decided to go with three different strains as well. 5 feminized Arjan's Strawberry Haze, and the second and third strain I'm still deciding on while I finish setting up the new room.

I've got a pack of 10 non femmed blueberry Jam I might use, but i've only got 15 pots currently and I want to maximize my output without having any males to remove this time. Any suggestions for something tasty and fun to grow? I was thinking of Chemdog but my local seed bank is out of stock currently and they are always so high they tend to not know when they're getting shipments haha.

EDIT: Pictures start on page 3 after all the Fan debate :D

were you growing paradise seeds vertigo?
i just did 5 of those.
am new to this website. this is actually my first time i've attempted to contact anyone on this site. do you post pics of your grows maybe i could see mine compared to yours or something? this was just my 4th overall grow.

No, they were Vancouver Island Seed Co. Vertigo, a cross of Blackberry and F'ing Incredible.A page or so back there's a post with pictures with the strain name in the title.

A lot of my buds came out vibrantly purple.

Update! Woo!

The room is FINALLY usably finished! after a month of cleaning up, building walls, and running ventilation, I've got a brand new space all set up and ready to start going!

W x L x H
The room is about 5' x 12' x 8' give or take an inch. I'll post a few pictures tonight when I get them uploaded since i'll probably do a bit more work out there today anyway.

Sounds Great PB can't wait to see you pullin some dank out of it.

Ok, so I misplaced the data cable for my camera so I had to use my shitty camera for now.

First picture is just an angle shot from the entranceway into the back corner

second picture is pretty self explanatory, top is exhaust bottom is intake. they'll be routed to different areas of the room so the exhaust doesn't just vent out the freshly taken in air. on the outside are 2x 6" dryer exhaust ports

3rd picture is the hallway/workspace area up to where I've got my storage cabinet which is right in front of the entrance into the grow space.

Each wall is vapor sealed and insulated. the floor has a vapor seal on it so no water gets into the wood. For the entrance into the growspace i'm going to use basically a black plastic sheet with a slit cut in the center.

Any more tips or things I may have overlooked, feel free to chime in! I've got a bit of work left to do but I'm 90% there!

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

I would have the intake near the floor and the exhaust near the top. I also do not believe that those duct booster fans are going to do the job. Booster fans are meant to be just that--booster fans--they are meant to assist other larger fans on long ducting runs.

:yeahthat:

I sure would wish that HTG would quit selling them in kits like they work.

HTG is becoming disappointing with me over the way they advertize these booster fans.

The reason i put the intake at about halfway up the wall is because it's going to run through the lights and This way it's already at about the right height. It means there's less ducting to run and there's nothing laying on the floor when the lights are low.

Also, those 2 inline fans are rated at 500 cfm each and the space is only 480cfm unless i'm calculating something wrong. How would 1000cfm worth of airflow not be enough for 480 cubic feet? That was the reason I picked them. I didn't buy them based on an advertisement or word of mouth, I measured the space and they were the most cost effective and unless they plain and simply don't move the amount of air it says they do, they should be adequate for my area. If it turns out they don't work, I'll obviously have to pick something else.

Thanks for the input! Keep it coming :D I'll have some greenery in the space hopefully soon!

Booster fans do not have the pulling power for pulling dead air, they are made for air that is already moving.

With both fans being rated the same you will have positive air pressure in your room. Once a a/c hood is added and/or carbon filter both of these will lower the cfm's of your exhaust which in turn will give you even more positive air pressure. Positive air pressure means that when you open the door to the grow room a bunch of smell is going to escape.

I can control the speed of the fans though so having them rated the same doesn't mean they'll be pulling the same. I'm really not worried about the smell because I have my card, so filters are unnecessary for the exhaust, but that's good to know for the future.

If the fans are rated the same though that wouldn't create positive air pressure, it would be even. No more air pressure is being taken in than is being evacuated.

If that is what you think go for it,it is obvious we are not gonna to be able to change your mind

To me even if I had a mmj card and were not concerned about leo, I would still be concerned about undesirables noticing the smell and coming in to rob me. But there again that is just me.

I'm not trying to be difficult or anything heh, I'm just a very literal person.

I had forgot about the whole being robbed portion of things though so now that you mention it maybe I will put a filter on it. Thanks for reminding me, that could have been a big mistake in my area...

As for the fans though I just mean that 500cfm in and 500cfm out simultaneously on it's own shouldn't create any positive or negative air pressure since they're working at redundant rates. You are right though, with a filter etc. added on the air pressure will change.

My only worry now that you've both mentioned these fans aren't ideal is that they won't pull what they're rated at, as long as I get a minimum 480cfm worth of airflow I'm happy.

If they don't work out I'll switch to something more suitable for moving air

The exhaust will have back pressure since you are pushing the air. More back pressure means less cfm's are being moved creating positive air pressure in your room. This is even before you add an a/c hood and filter. Booster fans do not have enough pulling power for a carbon filter. Carbon filters are rated to work at a minimum level of cfm's, which I do not believe those fans of yours are capable of providing.

You would be better off and cheaper just having a passive intake.

Ok, I'm just trying to understand this correctly. I'm not sure I understand where the back pressure from the exhaust is coming from though if the air is being replenished at the same rate it's being exhausted. Are you meaning pressure coming from outside the room trying to push into the exhaust port?

Here's how I understand air pressure;

If I have an exhaust port and not enough intake for air there will be negative air pressure in the room because more air is being sucked out than is being replenished. This is the type of action that would for instance cause a door to be more difficult to open.

If I have only an intake and not enough exhaust, there will be positive air pressure, causing a flurry of air to escape when a door/window is opened.

If I have equal intake and exhaust pressure the pressure inside the room would be neutral.

What kind of CFM do the carbon filters require? Once I test everything out as it is I'll let everyone know the results, but i'm keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that it does work well enough.

Back pressure comes from the length of the run, how many bends are in that run, the materials used. Anytime you connect anything to a fan back pressure can be created.

Carbon filters requirements are all different. But a fan must have enough pulling power(psi) to get the air moving.

An example of pulling power(psi) would be like a 6" desk fan can hold a piece of paper up against its back if placed there, but a 6" centrifugal fan can suck that same piece of paper from 4' away and suck it up against its back, even if they are rated at the same cfm.

Ok I understand where the back pressure is coming from now. anything causing the fan to "work" harder is going to lower the cfm and therefore cause an imbalance in pressure.

But now adding psi into it seems a bit more confusing. Couldn't cfm and psi be converted to one another? I mean as in there's got to be a calculation as to how many psi a fan would create based on it's cfm and the size of the space it's exhausting from.

I do understand that a centrifugal fan has a more concentrated port to pull from, creating a stronger suction of air, whereas a desk fan has a very broad back area to pull air from which is why the suction coming from the back of it in comparison to a cent. fan is nothing.

I mean, I don't want to have something in my room that isn't going to work for what I need. I'm just gonna have to run some ducting and test them.

You mentioned that maybe i should just have a passive intake. I was thinking some about this, and since you guys are saying these fans are probably not gonna cut it as is, would it maybe work more to my advantage to use both the fans on the same exhaust line and go with a passive intake? That way I can maybe boost the exhaust enough to use a carbon filter without spending any extra money.

psi/intake pressure and cfm is totally different. You can fill a 500 cubic space with either a 5psi 500cfm fan/pump or you can fill the space with a 50psi cfm fan/pump, the 50psi fills it quite faster

The bottom line is that the fans you have are not going to work (I actually sent HTG a nasty E-mail about them selling booster fans and filters together). Those fans are booster fans are are not meant to be stand alone fans. They are manufactured to be used in conjunction with larger fans on long ducting runs. They will not take any resistance at all--just putting ducting on them really slows them down--there is no way they are going to work with a filter. Most of us spend $100 or more for a fan. And no CFM and psi are way different things.

In addition, your 2 lights are going to put out substantial heat--I do not see these 2 fans keeping your space cool enough either.

Yea, i understand that psi and cfm are different, but what i'm saying is that since the psi is a measurement of air pressure in a given space, the rate the air is moving in and out of the room should determine the psi inside the room right?

I'm not sure psi is really applicable to a fan unless you apply it to the room the fan is venting from/into, or the suction the fan is creating at it's intake end. A pump yes because it requires the negative pressure or positive pressure to suck or pump the liquid, but a pump requires some sort of pressure vessel.

I'm not sure i'm understanding what you're saying correctly but if this isn't what you mean please correct me. From what you're saying I'm gathering this; The higher the psi the fan creates the faster it will replenish the air it's drawing and the cfm doesn't really matter?

But the way i look at things that doesn't seem to make sense to me. Lets throw out all attachments and work just based off of literal numbers.

If a fan/pump moves 500cfm of air at 5psi, it's still only moving 500 cubic feet per minute of air. If a fan or pump is rated at the same 500cfm but 50psi, It's still only moving 500 cubic feet per minute of air. The psi to me would indicate the size of the port the fan has for connecting to ducting or drawing from an air source, not the speed at which a fan will work. Otherwise that would kind of make having cfm ratings entirely useless.

Edit: THG posted while i was making this post and i didnt see what she had said :p

Those 2 fans aren't all I have to keep the room cool. I have 2 other fans to circulate air mounted on the walls at either side of the room as well as a standalone air conditioning unit :) I just haven't moved everything into the room yet. It doesn't get super hot up here where I'm at in the PNW but it gets hot enough in the summer that I'll have to use the air con. During the winter months though it gets VERY cold inside that room because of the window, as well you can see in one of the pictures, above the cabinet there's a black exhaust for what used to be an old wood burning heater that used to be in there so a lot of cold air is still coming in.

I really don't want to HAVE to buy another fan but by the sounds of things it looks like i'm gonna probably have to, in which case i suppose I can use the boosters to do just that , boost. I will test what I have tonight in hopes I am lucky since i've already got it set up, if it doesn't work, i'll just add more suitable fans to the ends of the ducting and let the boosters do their real job.

2nd edit;

After a bit of digging for information I found something I probably should have looked for before purchasing these fans. According to the mfg website, each one of these fans is rated to only pull 210cfm without being used in conjunction with already existing ventilation systems. And obviously 210 x 2 is still not adequate enough before adding a filter etc. to the line.

Now I won't bother testing it out... Next week I'll go pick up a cent. fan or something that isn't a booster. It's times like these i'm glad i post here, I'd have never figured this all out for myself if no one had mentioned anything about it. Thanks you 2! I suppose I could always use at them to cool the lights :S (i feel like an idiot for wasting the money on them now)

Latest posts

Back