Growing Marijuana Forum Bud Pic of the Month!

sawhse
Dalahaze
Bud Pic of the Month!

JustAnotherAntMarching
DNA's Lemon Skunk
Old 02-26-2012, 04:35 AM   #1
ston-loc

ston-loc ston-loc ston-loc ston-loc ston-loc ston-loc ston-loc ston-loc ston-loc ston-loc ston-loc
Default Starting seeds

I've read through a ton of threads of all the different methods some of you use. I am going to pop seeds for the first time soon, and have a few questions. I've only gone from clone so this is new to me. I don't want to screw up from the get go.
Out of the different methods, I'm thinking either to plant in rapid rooters, or a soil, but have yet to find what kind of soil I should plant in. Have seen FFOC mentioned but not sure what that is. I grew last season in FFOF, and remember reading that its too hot for seedlings. Also seen MG seed starter. What do you guys use?
Thanks
ston-loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:44 AM   #2
PuffinNugs
♪♫♪

PuffinNugs PuffinNugs PuffinNugs PuffinNugs PuffinNugs PuffinNugs PuffinNugs PuffinNugs PuffinNugs PuffinNugs PuffinNugs

miracle grow seed starting mix is great.

me personally germ right in the soil itll get its whole life. everything i have now was germed right in MG prenuted soil with no issues what so ever.

i have also germed right in FFOF it seems hotter than the MG and a couple plants showed slight burn.

i am switching to a custom happy frog mix that ill be making, but ill germ right in plain Happy Frog.

no paper towels or soaking for me either, jsut right into the soil.
PuffinNugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:53 AM   #3
WeedHopper

WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper

Plugs or soil,,eather one works fine.
WeedHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
BackWoodsDrifter

BackWoodsDrifter BackWoodsDrifter BackWoodsDrifter BackWoodsDrifter BackWoodsDrifter BackWoodsDrifter BackWoodsDrifter BackWoodsDrifter BackWoodsDrifter BackWoodsDrifter BackWoodsDrifter

Be doin mine in wet paper towel between to plates left in warm dark place couple turns of the sun and there she be all cracked read to soil. Much luck my friend hope yual find the perfect way to make yur way. Enjoy the trails yual walk.

BWD
BackWoodsDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #5
Markers
asdf;lkj

Markers Markers Markers Markers Markers Markers Markers Markers Markers Markers Markers

wet paper towel in a baggy set on a heat pad, Usually pop in less than 3 days. Had one pop today in less than 20 hours. After they pop I put em in Jiffy peat pots. Good Luck

Last edited by Markers; 02-27-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Markers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #6
Rosebud

Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud

Hi Ston-loc, have enough opinions yet?

I read Mandalaseeds.com on planting seeds and have had 100 % success. They make sense to me.

Grow journals: :Current grow
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...ad.php?t=67420

Rick Simpson oil thread: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...ad.php?t=66245
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:42 AM   #7
ozzydiodude

ozzydiodude ozzydiodude ozzydiodude ozzydiodude ozzydiodude ozzydiodude ozzydiodude ozzydiodude ozzydiodude ozzydiodude ozzydiodude

luckiest seeds to be germed

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...ad.php?t=55329
ozzydiodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:23 AM   #8
ston-loc

ston-loc ston-loc ston-loc ston-loc ston-loc ston-loc ston-loc ston-loc ston-loc ston-loc ston-loc

Bwahahahahaha, I joined the site just a few months after that and never ran upon it. That's awesome.

Rose, thanks. That was a great read. Didn't think to scroll around their site for that info. So I'm going straight into soil. No rappid rooters, no paper towels. Just not decided on what kind of soil yet. I'm going to grow them out in FFOF, but they dont recommend that for their seedlings. Not sure if i wanna drop $ on a whole bag of FFLW for just the 10 seedlings. Hmm... I guess I wasnt too clear with my question initially. Not asking methods really. Mainly if you grow straight from soil, what soil do you use? And is FFOF too hot for seeds? I remember reading that, but now cant seem to find it. Only seeing its not on the list of recommended on the mandala site
Old 02-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
drfting07
Don't panic it's Organic!

drfting07 drfting07 drfting07 drfting07 drfting07 drfting07 drfting07 drfting07 drfting07 drfting07 drfting07

Hey Ston-loc!

I too go by Mandala's site and plant straight into soil. The soil i germed in this go round is pro-mix bx with added dolomite lime, ratio is 1 cup per CF. There are some slightly larger chunks in this mix and i was careful to move them out of the way so the seedlings could break thru. When i get my seed order, im going to screen it out to a lighter mix for seedlings so i dont run into this problem again.

BTW, did you get that seed order yet? Im holding off til March 2nd to order. Great promo at Attitude that im going to take advantage of. Still can't wait to do that satori grow-off! Any new details yet?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
ston-loc

Yeah, order finally arrived. Stoked to get started relatively soon.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #11
Rosebud

Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud

ston-loc, this is what I use.

Name:  DSCF1321.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  292.8 KB

Old 02-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #12
drfting07
Don't panic it's Organic!

drfting07 drfting07 drfting07 drfting07 drfting07 drfting07 drfting07 drfting07 drfting07 drfting07 drfting07

I am stoked as well! Got a lot of great genetics on the way!

I will find a way to post pics of "Drfting's Germination Station" and start a thread. Many people built them before the crash, and i lost the sticky for it during that time. Ive upgraded to t5's since then, and the outcome was astounding! Ill have it up by tonite!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
Grower13
a happy grower

Grower13 Grower13 Grower13 Grower13 Grower13 Grower13 Grower13 Grower13 Grower13 Grower13 Grower13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffinNugs
miracle grow seed starting mix is great.

me personally germ right in the soil itll get its whole life. everything i have now was germed right in MG prenuted soil with no issues what so ever.

i have also germed right in FFOF it seems hotter than the MG and a couple plants showed slight burn.

i am switching to a custom happy frog mix that ill be making, but ill germ right in plain Happy Frog.

no paper towels or soaking for me either, jsut right into the soil.

I've not had a failure to pop or a lost seedling for 27 seeds germs in a row over 2 year time period using MG seed starting mix.
Grower13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
7greeneyes
OnTheIslandofLostBowls

7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes

I soak for a night in water then plant straight into BlackGold soil (which works for me everytime). Picked up a bag of MG Seedling starter Mix, since Hammy gives them mad props, will try them and report back. Don't think there will be any problems tho...

EDIT: as of 06/12/2012 all seeds have started using the MG seed starter mix.

BHC#711
"When injustice becomes law, then resistance becomes duty."
Thomas Jefferson

I am not the lifestyle police.- (my new hero) Pitkin County, CO Sheriff Joe DiSalvo

Last edited by 7greeneyes; 06-12-2012 at 07:46 PM.
7greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:51 AM   #15
getnasty

getnasty getnasty getnasty getnasty getnasty getnasty getnasty getnasty getnasty getnasty getnasty
Default Trouble starting seeds in soil

I seem to be having an issue getting the remaining beans to pop. I've repotted 2 of them again tonight, crossing my fingers. Any tips? They all sunk in water and I put them straight into the soil which was watered and warmed.

I noticed one had sprouted. Has a pretty long white growth on it. I assume this is the taproot and it should be pointed down? It was pointed up, so I pointed it downward with tweezers. Question though is, would light being on the tap root cause any damage?

-nasty
getnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:14 AM   #16
Rosebud

Can you sprinkle some soil on top? I would do that.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #17
getnasty

getnasty getnasty getnasty getnasty getnasty getnasty getnasty getnasty getnasty getnasty getnasty

I did, it's covered. =]

-nasty
Old 03-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #18
PuffinNugs
♪♫♪

PuffinNugs PuffinNugs PuffinNugs PuffinNugs PuffinNugs PuffinNugs PuffinNugs PuffinNugs PuffinNugs PuffinNugs PuffinNugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by getnasty
It was pointed up, so I pointed it downward with tweezers.

-nasty
imo that was a mistake, unless over 3/4" or more of taproot but again imo i dont think they should of gotten that long out of the medium anyways (plus its still pointed up, if you notice picture). i like to germ right int he soil and let nature do its thing.

Name:  SeedRight1.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  75.2 KB
Name:  Slide1.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  13.7 KB

Name:  turnaround.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  79.1 KB
PuffinNugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:15 AM   #19
getnasty

It's not too late too turn it back up the way the picture shows. I read that if the taproot is pointed up, it'll bury the seed further into the soil. I guess that was wrong information? The taproot is atleast that long. How long after the taproot grows does the stem begin to grow?
Old 03-01-2012, 05:21 AM   #20
ozzydiodude

ozzydiodude ozzydiodude ozzydiodude ozzydiodude ozzydiodude ozzydiodude ozzydiodude ozzydiodude ozzydiodude ozzydiodude ozzydiodude

leave it be you keep touching the sprouting root and it will die. most the time seeds will straighten up and grow the way they should grow. Their are chemicals in the root tip and the meirstem that dirrect each to grow the dirrection it should.
ozzydiodude is offline   Reply With Quote