Growing Marijuana Forum Bud Pic of the Month!

sawhse
Dalahaze
Bud Pic of the Month!

JustAnotherAntMarching
DNA's Lemon Skunk
Old 03-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Ridgerunner Ridgerunner Ridgerunner Ridgerunner Ridgerunner Ridgerunner Ridgerunner Ridgerunner Ridgerunner Ridgerunner
Default Damascus Earth

I had a major termite issue last year on my outdoor grow. How much damascus earth should you put in a 3 x 3 hole . and should it only be placed in the top 6 inches of the soil.
Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
The Hemp Goddess
Granny Mod

The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess

I'm thinking that maybe you are talking about Diatomaceous Earth. I do not grow in soil, but I believe that most just layer it on the top when using it for insects in the soil.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...ad.php?t=30891 <-- DIY 150 watt cool tubes

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...ighlight=scrog <-- DIY SCROG
The Hemp Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
Iron Emmett
Closet Farmer

Iron Emmett Iron Emmett Iron Emmett Iron Emmett Iron Emmett Iron Emmett Iron Emmett Iron Emmett Iron Emmett Iron Emmett Iron Emmett

THG is correct, if its Diatomaceous Earth, put it on top about an inch deep, but dont water through it or it is much less effective.

"A man should never plant a garden larger than his wife can take care of."
T. H. Everett
Iron Emmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
Old_SSSC_Guy
incorrigible reprobate

Old_SSSC_Guy Old_SSSC_Guy Old_SSSC_Guy Old_SSSC_Guy Old_SSSC_Guy Old_SSSC_Guy Old_SSSC_Guy Old_SSSC_Guy Old_SSSC_Guy Old_SSSC_Guy Old_SSSC_Guy

Water 'washes away' diatomaceous earth. It works great as a barrier outside your house to stop ants and other crawlies from coming in. But its rendered useless by rain.

An inch deep though? Wow - I've never used THAT much DE. Only really takes a real thin layer -- as long as the bugs have to crawl thru it will work. It shreds their tiny bodies like razor blades.
Translation: When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults
Old_SSSC_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
orangesunshine
Drama Free

orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine

it also contains cal/mag---how much---i would like to know???---imo i believe the plant will benefit from a dose of cal/mag while it breaks down and cycles thru during watering---top dress for gnats---water in for cal/mag

BHC #448
orangesunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
Wetdog
Old Droopy Dog

Wetdog Wetdog Wetdog Wetdog Wetdog Wetdog Wetdog Wetdog Wetdog Wetdog Wetdog

How much? Try none. DE is 80-90% silica, no cal or mag.

Either you are thinking of something else, or someone gave you some very wonky information.

Wet
Old 03-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
orangesunshine
Drama Free

orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine

this is from ghorganics

What is Diatomaceous Earth?
Diatomaceous earth is a remarkable, all-natural product made from tiny fossilized water plants. Diatomaceous Earth is a naturally occurring siliceous sedimentary mineral compound from microscopic skeletal remains of unicellular algae-like plants called diatoms. These plants have been part of the earth's ecology since prehistoric times. It is believed that 30 million years ago the diatoms built up into deep, chalky deposits of diatomite. The diatoms are mined and ground up to render a powder that looks and feels like talcum powder to us. It is a mineral based pesticide. DE is approximately 3% magnesium, 33% silicon, 19% calcium, 5% sodium, 2% iron and many other trace minerals such as titanium, boron, manganese, copper and zirconium. Diatomaceous Earth is a natural (not calcined or flux calcined) compound. Diatomaceous Earth is a natural grade diatomite. However, the continual breathing of any dust should he absolutely avoided.

BHC #448
Old 03-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
orangesunshine
Drama Free

arbico-organics

Because of the pumice-like quality of fossil shell flour, it has been used to deter insect pests. If you are bothered by any of the following pests, DE is a good way to fight them: ants, bedbugs, box elder bugs, carpet beetles, centipedes, crickets, cockroaches, earwigs, fleas, grasshoppers, millipedes, slugs and silverfish.

Indoor and Outdoor Application: Sprinkle a light layer of Diatomaceous Earth in areas where pests frequent, including under stoves, cabinets, sinks, garbage cans, window and door frames and sills, entrance ways, sewer pipes and drains, and in cracks and crevices. Repeat treatment as needed.

Since this is food grade Diatomaceous Earth, it can be taken internally. Internal and external pests and parasites tend to be worse in animals with mineral deficiencies or other health issues. DE may be fed on a continuous basis to larger livestock for both parasite control and mineralization. DE is an excellent source of organic silica and a few trace minerals. The animal’s digestive system is not harmed by its passage; in fact, it has been proven to aid in the absorption of calcium and magnesium. Both calcium and magnesium are used in the body to build bones, teeth, connective tissue, and regulate muscle and blood flow. Since low Magnesium can lead to Grass Tetany in cattle, DE may be an added option for prevention, along with other prophylactic measures. DE can be part of any balanced mineral program in livestock.

BHC #448
Old 03-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
Wetdog
Old Droopy Dog

Wetdog Wetdog Wetdog Wetdog Wetdog Wetdog Wetdog Wetdog Wetdog Wetdog Wetdog

Go with the Arbico def, " DE is an excellent source of organic silica and a few trace minerals ... it has been proven to aid in the absorption of calcium and magnesium." Emphasis is mine. Done business with Arbico before and they generally know their stuff.

The ghorganics with the 33% silica thing sounds like no DE that I've ever heard of in all the years I've been using it. Never seen an analysis that compares. Not for pure DE. Have no experience with this company.

Not to say it can't be so, but all the diatom skeletons I'm familiar with are almost pure silica, like the 80-90% that I mentioned before. Check wikipedia (yeah, I know), for a quick confirmation.

In any event, it's not worth getting into a pi$$ing contest over, but I wouldn't depend on it for your cal/mag needs. Dolomite lime for that. LOL

Wet
Old 03-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #10
orangesunshine
Drama Free

no pi$$ing contest here wet---i too am of the thought that it is primarily a silica and used against creepy crawlies---was not inferring that this was a primary source of cal/mag in my post---and just saying washing it thru in a watering is a good thing---there are a number of other sites that talk about the de analysis and they all list it as having ca/mag---

BHC #448
Old 03-17-2012, 03:34 AM   #11
OGKushman
Needs More Cowbell

OGKushman OGKushman OGKushman OGKushman OGKushman OGKushman OGKushman OGKushman OGKushman OGKushman OGKushman

all this talk about little ol diatoms... I studied these in depth in school.

This is how I'm used to seeing them
google.com/search?tbm=isch&source=mog&hl=en&gl=us&client=safa ri&tab=wi&q=diatoms&sa=N&biw=480&bih=268#p=0

BHC MEMBER #
s54b32

VHC MEMBER # 007

Man has the right to make a fool of himself when he is not on his own hunting grounds.

Always; uh, Never forget to check your lighter.

OGKushman is offline   Reply With Quote