Growing Marijuana Forum Bud Pic of the Month!

sawhse
Dalahaze
Bud Pic of the Month!

JustAnotherAntMarching
DNA's Lemon Skunk
Old 10-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
johnnylongjohns
Alfred E. Neuman

johnnylongjohns johnnylongjohns johnnylongjohns johnnylongjohns johnnylongjohns johnnylongjohns johnnylongjohns johnnylongjohns johnnylongjohns johnnylongjohns johnnylongjohns
Default Cloned too many times

I have an old super silver haze strain that has been cloned from a clone, from a clone, from a clone, many times. It seems to be getting weaker root structure and a less of a producer. Is it possible for the strain to become weakened after time? Should i grow a big dense mother plant to try and compensate or bring back that vigor and growth of old? (to clone from) The potency is still there, just not the quanity and growth i am use to seeing.
johnnylongjohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
dman1234

IMO, not a chance, something else is causing the change. how many generations would you estimate its been cloned?
Old 10-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
Hamster Lewis
Furry Moderator

Hamster Lewis Hamster Lewis Hamster Lewis Hamster Lewis Hamster Lewis Hamster Lewis Hamster Lewis Hamster Lewis Hamster Lewis Hamster Lewis Hamster Lewis

There are clone only strains that have been passed around for many years and still have the vigor and potency. Like dman said, I would look elsewhere for a reason. jmo

In the beginning, man created god...

Science can fly you to the moon...religion flies you into buildings

BHC#1313 VHC#69 TGC#135
Hamster Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
Rosebud

Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud

I have had mom's look terrible. They needed a new pot, some root trim and some food. The clones have never degenerated in potency or anything else.

Grow journals: :Current grow
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...ad.php?t=68734

Rick Simpson oil thread: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...ad.php?t=66245
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Old Resin

Old Resin Old Resin Old Resin Old Resin Old Resin Old Resin Old Resin Old Resin Old Resin Old Resin Old Resin

In my own opinion-it's better to take your best one and keep it for a mom. I used to make clones-veg them-then make clones before I flipped the lights on the clones I just vegged-so I didn't have to keep a mom-I noticed the same thing-I attributed it to plant stress-and kept a mom. Healthy mom=healthy clone=healthy plant.
Old Resin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
The Hemp Goddess
Granny Mod

The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess

Rose, I believe he is talking about not keeping mothers, just taking clones from clones. There is no reason a mother should not be fine for many many years.

I had a strain that I took clones from clones from clones.....After about 5 years, I noticed some degradation. I do believe that after x number of years, it is possible for clones to lose their vigor. All the other strains in my closet were doing great, so I really don't think it was anything I was doing wrong. However, 5 years was a good run and since I do not have room to keep mothers, I will continue to take clones from clones from clones from clones......

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...ad.php?t=30891 <-- DIY 150 watt cool tubes

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...ighlight=scrog <-- DIY SCROG

Last edited by The Hemp Goddess; 10-29-2012 at 01:40 PM.
The Hemp Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
7greeneyes
OnTheIslandofLostBowls

7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes

my first foray into growing was with "clone only's" and the 45 day skunk we had did indeed destabiliuze after ten yrs or so.

I read an article where Shantibaba says you have to take a cutting of your favored cultivar and grow it outside, thus strengthening it for the next year, then either taking that plant back inside or taking a cutting from that plant...repeat yearly...
One of the only ways not to lose that hybrid vigor in a much loved strain....

BHC#711
"When injustice becomes law, then resistance becomes duty."
Thomas Jefferson

“I am not the lifestyle police.”- (my new hero) Pitkin County, CO Sheriff Joe DiSalvo
7greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
Roddy

Good read so far.......
Old 11-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
dman1234

a clone is a clone, how can it lose vigor?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #10
7greeneyes
OnTheIslandofLostBowls

7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes 7greeneyes

imagine taking a xerox of a xerox.....

then copy that xerox then copy that xerox etc etc ad infinitum, you begin to lose focus of what ther intial copy looked like, you lose image fidelity so to speak....

the same happens with the genetics locked within a poly/hybrid, eventually weakening it a point it no longer looks like the same strain....hell doesn't even smell the same....

can't really explain it except for an analogy, and yet a half assed one at that...lol...

I use to call it Hybrid Anemia for lack of a better word....I ga ve back the Skunk cutting to the original Dude and he told me I was wrong and somehow mixed upo strains. yet that was indeed the skunk from yrs b4 :sadfaced:

BHC#711
Thomas Jefferson

“I am not the lifestyle police.”- (my new hero) Pitkin County, CO Sheriff Joe DiSalvo

Last edited by 7greeneyes; 11-01-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #11
WeedHopper

WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper

You guys never see the Movie,,Multiplicity? Funny as hell.One of the clones was so dumb he kept pizza in his wallet. He was the 3rd clone.
WeedHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #12
7greeneyes
OnTheIslandofLostBowls

3rd time today I get to one of Weedhopper's posts...lol...

BHC#711
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by 7greeneyes; 11-01-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #13
WeedHopper

WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper

Thanks 7greeneyes.

On the serious side. I have cloned many times and never had a problem I didnt create, but I didnt clone clones for over a yr at a time. I think it was about 4 times. So Im not sure how it would effect the clones after 5 yrs.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #14
7greeneyes
OnTheIslandofLostBowls

we took ours beyond the 10 yr mark then it all went down the poop chute

BHC#711
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #15
johnnylongjohns
Alfred E. Neuman

johnnylongjohns johnnylongjohns johnnylongjohns johnnylongjohns johnnylongjohns johnnylongjohns johnnylongjohns johnnylongjohns johnnylongjohns johnnylongjohns johnnylongjohns

I am at 3 years with this strain. Cloned 5 to 6 times (crops) per year. Do i keep after it? Or, get some fresh strains going to replenish the Haze ?? I have still been hard pressed to find ANYTHING as potent as my Silver Haze.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #16
WeedHopper

If it aint broke ,,dont fix it.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #17
jmansweed

jmansweed jmansweed jmansweed jmansweed jmansweed jmansweed jmansweed jmansweed jmansweed jmansweed jmansweed

The issue of genetic degration has come my way a few times and my only response is my experiences.

I've been cloning my Reclining Buddha since 2001 with no loss to potency or vigor. I also had a pheno of Skywalker I cloned for almost 7 years. At times I had "Moms", one living over 3 years hydroponically, but the majority of the time I clone my clones as well. As most of us, I frequently start new seeds and always put the new strain head to head against Buddha to determine what the most viable strain for my production preferences is. I'm still growing Buddha.

Only a few strains out of the many failures I've had, did I attribute genetic weakness to the problem. Of course there were plenty generally genetically weak phenos that I started and eliminated, however, there were also some interesting plants that simply quite on me.

I grew DJ Shorts Blueberry for example, she continued to provide me with lesser quality clones every cycle until finally she simply fizzled out. I also had an incredible Bubble Chem slowly become a uni-foliate and eventually loose it's productivity. Both these plants reacted this way while the rest of the garden thrived as usual. Both, at one time, provided rich, quality harvests.

So I suppose my long winded point here is that chances are it is fine and I'd continue the effort if you enjoy growing the strain. IMO it's a rare thing to loose genetic vigor. It simply has not happened to me frequently.....

good luck and I hope her vigor returns!
jmansweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
WeedHopper

If ya find a piece of pizza stuck in yur planter,,Stop Clonning.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:07 AM   #19
johnnylongjohns
Alfred E. Neuman

Good stuff Jman ! Weedhopper: Pizza ?? Huh, did i miss somethng ?
Old 11-17-2012, 02:08 AM   #20
WeedHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylongjohns
Good stuff Jman ! Weedhopper: Pizza ?? Huh, did i miss somethng ?
Yeah,,read post#11 above.