Grow Journal of a Cannabinoid Android

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Green Fang

You don't see me . . .
Reaction score
Ok, I'll update the initial post as needed, if needed along the way... but after a long while of drilling you all with questions, just over $1,800 later and here we are. Seeds are germing in my dark closet and seem to be doing well (all stopped floating). After a little root pops out, directly into my Sunshine mix and in the tent under 400w MH. (600w HPS for flower).

Here's some pics of the journey and take note that I do understand my rectangular hole in the res needs a cover... I have a great one made, it was just off and not on during these pics lol.

Pics will be in 2 posts.

Strain: Barneys Farm - Pineapple Chunk - Attitude Seeds

The Setup:

- 4x4 Sun Hut Grow Tent
- Ultra Sun 400w MH and 600w HPS bulbs
- Sun System Yield Master II Classic 6" Reflector
- Quantum 600 Watt Dimmable Electronic Ballast
- 6" Hurricane Squirrel Cage Fan - 435 CFM - With full inline dimmer for low/med/high
- 6" Phat Filter (This thing is a beast! hah)
- 3.5' x 3.5' Duralastics Ebb and Flo table, with custom PVC 1 1/4' pipe table
- 18 gal (15 being used) res, custom built for obvious reasons.
- Sunshine Advanced Growing Mix #4 Medium
- Xnutrients nute line including: Grow/Micro/Bloom/Amino Blast/Grow Spray/Flushing Solution/Bloom FX
- Other various supplementals: Bloombastic/H2O2
- Other various items: Hanna (cheap-o) PH and PPM pens/digital thermometer/CO2 Bucket (with electronics to help coordinate as best as possible with a bucket.. investing in tank after this)

GrowRoomGDay-19.jpg

GrowRoomGDay-17.jpg

GrowRoomGDay-16.jpg

GrowRoomGDay-15.jpg

GrowRoomGDay-14.jpg

GrowRoomGDay-13.jpg

GrowRoomGDay-12.jpg

GrowRoomGDay-11.jpg

GDayGrowers.jpg

GrowRoomGDay-7.jpg

GrowRoomGDay-6.jpg

GrowRoomGDay-5.jpg

looks like you did your homework---nice job---i always wondered why peeps move beans from a glass of water into a paper towel---why not let them sprout in the water and directly into soil

imo and for safety---get your electrical off the floor---keep it away from spillage

I'd put them in the dirt as soon as they crack open in the water. JMO, but it works for me, and there is less chance of damage to the tender, little root. I never use paper towels.

Peace

Good luck, and GREEN MOJO to your grow -- you seem to have things set up nicely.

Looking nice.

My only advise is not to put them under the 400W MH as soon as they pop. Get a small CFL and let them get a few leaves before putting them under the MH. MH run quite hot (hotter than HPS) and your babies are quite susceptible to heat when that small.

Firstly thanks all for the mojo!! :D

I will get electrical all up and away from ground, and I will just go from water to soil no problem there. Also, I wait until the first 2 leaves start getting yellow before starting my weekly nute regiment yes?

@THG: You wouldn't do 400w MH with dimmer set to 50% raised up a bit? If I need to put them under CFL, I'll have to buy some. Thanks for checking in! :)

mojo!!! i brought my :bong: and beanbag chair. i'm ready for the fun to begin. are you going for sunshine mix flood and drain table?

Hoping THG chimes back in with her thoughts, or even someone else gives there thoughts? 400w MH on digital ballast @ 50% isn't good for veg?? I thought I had that sorted out before I purchased. :(

that will work just fine---what you gonna do for flower---i have never used a MH---HPS will carry you through your whole grow---digital adjust is great---i think you might be surprised how hardy the plant is when you start adjusting that ballast---more light = vigorous growth---imo you be changing that bulb for flower

I'm using 600w HPS for flower. It's a 600w Quantum Digital Ballast and I surely love it already. :)

the quantum is top shelf for sure---you will get lots of grows from it---any problems they are very customer friendly and will swap it out no problem---look forward to your grow journal

Did you buy both a 400W MH and a 600W HPS?

Okay, maybe I should rephrase. I personally would not put newly sprouted seedlings under 200W of MH--especially if I was just starting out--they can get quite hot. When I say to put it under a CFL--I am talking about one of those twirly bulbs that cost under $5, so not a big investment (I use CFLs for household lighting and always have some around for seedlings and clones). And only for a week or 2. The trouble with putting it under a strong light when it is teeny tiny is that the light has to be quite a ways away and it encourages stretch.

Yes, I have both 400W MH and 600W HPS. Sun Systems I believe is the brand.. I'll check later. Sun something.

Hmm yeah it was suggested along the way in my "first grow" thread that 400w MH dimmed would be just fine. I'm getting a T5 in a month or 2 when it's time for clones.

Also, it's quite cold in the state I live in still. I think I'm in the 60's in the tent without the Hurricane fan on, just to try to keep the temps up... with 57% Humidity. I'm actually going to report the numbers in the next post after I head back up into the room.

I could do CFL if really needed.. I mean.. I feel safe with the MH considering I have to get about 12" near the light before I feel anything on my hand. BUT, I sure don't discredit anything you've said along this process.. so I just want to be cautious.

Seeds aren't really doing too much today, still waiting for the right time to plant. Will take a pic and report temps/RH when I get back here soon.

Please, stick around the fire. I'm sure there's a can of gasoline around to kick this up a notch or too....

:D

It's 4x4 with a 3.5 x 3.5 table in it. I believe 600w HPS is more than sufficient for 4-6 plants. At least from all the research I've been doing along the way... which has been extensive, and I've been quite the sponge :D

imo you miss the beauty and flexibility of the digi ballast by not getting the 100k hps

Latest posts

Back