Ptsd

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N.E.wguy

Product of my environment
Reaction score
First and foremost Please Share This Info With Others who you may know that do not use this site, or direct them here. This info is highly uplifting and may save someones life... The current average of PTSD suicide rate of returning troops is three a day, up to 5 per day (hxxp://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/01/the-case-for-treating-ptsd-in-veterans-with-medical-marijuana/251466/ here in the United States Information that leads to hope can save lives!)

Currently I (N.E.wguy)suffer from this debilitating syndrome. [from being shot point blank 5 times in arm and chest, heart, lung, on fri 13th was a bad night and relive it non stop with next to no sleep.]

Only recently recognized and even more so just recently begun to really be studied from all I can tell. So with all the new movement on mmj and PTSD I thought a thread was in need. I will post links to any thing I find on currently studies/research and ask others to do the same. pm me the link if you don't want to post it.

PTSD Treatment/Therapy

Okay, to start off I am by no means a doctor of any sort so will not give medical advise.
I have many ask me what therapy/treatment works best for PTSD?

You might not like my answer lol. It will all depend on you!

There are a ton of different treatments, therapy methods, and medications that can help PTSD. But when it boils down to it, each person may respond differently to each one of them. There is not a set formula, there's not one pill, and even though PTSD symptoms are much the same, how they are treated may need to be differently then another person. It's all done on an individual basis.

You might notice I don't talk about which medications Craig is on, that's for a very good reason. What works for him may not work for someone else. I don't talk much about treatment or therapy (besides one on one therapy which I think everyone should have, just my opinion). It's because what works in one case may not work for the next.

Therapy and treatment options can be based around many things such as...

* Where a person is with suicide levels of thought or past attempts.

* What a doctor feels they can handle or can't handle as therapy.

* What medications or combination of medications a person is already on. OR if a person should even be on medications.

* Based on exactly what happened to them and finding which thing will help that "what happened" the best.

* Where a person stands at this time with coping skills.

* The symptoms that are most apparent at this moment.

Those are just a few examples, but shows you there are many things that have to be taken into consideration when making a decision of what to use or what could help per individual.

PTSD does not have a "cure" as of this time... again in my opinion... if there was one there would not be such a long history of PTSD cases as well as new ones. However, there are ways to treat the symptoms! Many different things available. You have to find what is right for you, and by all means talk with your doctors about the options!

There are many people who hear something that worked for someone else and push doctors to use that for them. Be careful with this. If you show an interest in trying something new a doctor will take that as a good sign of you trying and might try it with you, however don't be pushy, make sure you ask your doctor if THEY think this is something that could be used in your case. Your doctor knows you, knows your symptoms, and can in majority of cases give you the best advice of what to try and what not to "at this time". It doesn't mean at some point you may not be able to try it, sometimes it means you just may not be ready for that method.

There is something that I hear a lot from actually many people and I want to address it openly.

“I didn’t go through what so and so did, my PTSD isn’t important.”
Or other comments along those same lines.

Well! I’m here to say something about that. PTSD is PTSD, period! PTSD is caused by many different reasons/traumas, but in the end of it, it is still caused by a trauma that effected you no matter if you view it as something large or not. Everything effects people in different ways, just because one person went through the same thing so to speak and may not have developed PTSD does not mean it is the same for everyone.

PTSD also does NOT mean you are weak, in fact it means you are one of the strong ones. “Best of the best” as I say it. The one that held it together, maybe dealt with your trauma alone and would not open up to others, the one that said no big deal I shouldn’t have issues with what happened, etc. The one that held it all in and kept going to the point your brain said “Hey you! Stop, you’ve had enough, I can’t take anymore in, I’m full.” Oh yes… it effects the strong ones! The ones that are the super heroes of handling stress and keep on going.

Well, yes you are a Hero by all means, but I hate to break the news to you but you are still human and no super powers there to keep PTSD from happening.

PTSD is not something you can keep from happening, and when the brain has reached that limit, you might end up with PTSD. There’s no shame in that though! It’s just a new battle of a different kind.

PTSD can develop from war/military, what a First Responder/police/doctors/nurses have witnessed or experienced, from a severe car accident, sexual trauma/rape, home invasion, an attack, death of someone close to you, a natural disaster, ones death that was out of your control, or even a death that you were in the line of duty to cause, a dog attack/mauling, the list is endless. It all goes back to whatever the cause is for PTSD, it was a trauma that effected you.

There is no trauma that is greater then another. Facts on the table it may seem or feel that way to you, but in reality PTSD is PTSD. No matter what the cause is, the symptoms are pretty much the same… the stories of “why” or "what happened" are just different.

I have come across many that feel shamed by why they have PTSD. There is nothing to be ashamed about, PTSD happens and can happen to anyone that has experienced a severe trauma of whatever magnitude. PTSD does not, as I have always said, does not choose one nation, color, man or woman, young or elder, sick or healthy, rich or poor, and it sure does not care if you are a mother or father, brother or sister, friend or foe, and it sure doesn’t care about what morals you have or don’t have or religious beliefs. PTSD is just PTSD and can affect anyone.

A huge key to battling PTSD is accepting it, accepting it has happened to you, and getting help for it. The reported suicide rate among veterans/military (only the reported numbers and cases) is up to 22 per day, and that's only USA numbers! Only reported cases? Could you even begin to imagine what a true number would really be if all cases military, civilian, world wide were included? I can’t!

None of you are alone in this battle, and no one’s PTSD is greater or less then the next. There is no reason for the suicide numbers we are seeing, reach for help, place the shame you may feel to the side, swallow that pride and help yourself or the one you love. Each of you are extremely important and I don’t take that lightly!

If you have PTSD or think you might, reach out your hand and ask for help, you are worth it!!! And to those of you that do not suffer from PTSD, take the time to learn about it, let others know about it, educate… you might just save a life and sometimes without even knowing. Ones with PTSD need support! And even if it’s just spreading awareness or learning for the day you run into someone who has it, what a change you can make in another person’s life!

PTSD is PTSD my friends. Don’t put yourself down because of why you have it. Do what you can to battle it, and know you are never alone!

hxxp://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Marijuana-May-Cure-PTSD-208900021.html
Marijuana May Cure PTSD
Veterans suffering from post traumatic stress disorder may find help through marijuana.

Post-traumatic stress disorder, which can also affect civilians who undergo a traumatic episode, may be cured by using marijuana, according to an East Bay Express report.

A researcher at Yale University is conducting a long-term study with 120 people -- veterans with "intractable cases of PTSD" -- who he thinks can be cured of their debilitating condition with marijuana. (N.E.guy.. says: I have personally talked to him thru email)

Most people suffering from PTSD go through a regimen of drugs or more-invasive "exposure therapy," in which they dig as deeply as possible into their trauma for 12 weeks. Most drop out in Week 3, according to the report.

The theory of R. Andrew Sewell is that tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, one of the active ingredients in cannabis, can help the brain learn new information. This in turn helps people suffering from PTSD forget the old -- as in bad -- information.

This is called "extinction learning," Sewell says. And such learning is made easier when a "switch" in the brain called CB1 is activated. It turns out cannabis is very good at activating the CB1 receptor.

"We're talking about a cure," said Sewell, who noted that after treatment, no drugs -- not cannabis and not antidepressants -- would be required.
Copyright NBC Owned Television Stations

Maine: Medical Marijuana Program Expanded To Include Patients With PTSD, Other Debilitating Disorders

by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director June 27, 2013

Patients diagnosed with post-traumatic stress, Crohn’s disease, and other debilitating disorders will now be eligible for cannabis therapy, under legislation approved yesterday absent the Governor’s signature.

The new law expands the list of qualifying conditions for which a Maine physician may legally recommend cannabis to include “post-traumatic stress disorder,” “inflammatory bowel disease” (such as Crohn’s and/or ulcerative colitis), and “dyskinetic and spastic movement disorders and other diseases causing severe and persistent muscle spasms” (such as Parkinson’s disease and/or Huntington’s disease). It is the second time that Maine legislators have acted to expand the pool of patients who may have access to medicinal cannabis.

Under state law, qualified patients in Maine may either cultivate their own cannabis or obtain it from one of eight state-licensed dispensaries.

Four states — Connecticut, Delaware, New Mexico, and Oregon — specifically allow for the use of cannabis to treat symptoms of post-traumatic stress. Clinical trial data published in the May issue of the journal Molecular Psychiatry theorized that cannabinoid-based therapies would likely comprise the “next generation of evidence-based treatments for PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder).”

Survey data published in 2011 in the European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology reports the use of cannabis therapy is common among patients with inflammatory bowel disorders. Most recently, researchers at the Meir Medical Center, Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology in Israel reported that inhaling cannabis reduces symptoms of Crohn’s disease compared to placebo in patients non-responsive to traditional therapies. Investigators concluded, “Our data show that 8-weeks treatment with THC-rich cannabis, but not placebo, was associated with a significant decrease of 100 points in CDAI (Crohn’s Disease and activity index) scores.” (The CDIA is a research tool used to quantify the symptoms of Crohn’s disease patients.) Five of the eleven patients in the study group also reported achieving disease remission (defined as a reduction in patient CDAI score by more than 150 points).

- See more at: http://blog.norml.org/2013/06/27/ma...r+Debilitating+Disorders#sthash.fky5MFrf.dpuf

hxxp://www.rockethub.com/projects/26525-veterans-post-traumatic-stress-and-medical-marijuana

Latest Updates
05/25/13: Veterans, Post Traumatic Stress, and Medical Marijuana
View More Updates
05/25/13: Veterans, PTSS and the Alternative or Complementary Use of Cannabis

Research Question: "Do Veterans suffering from Post Traumatic Stress benefit from the Use of Medical Marijuana ?"

The Steering Committee for the project are requesting funding only for Stage 1 of the study as outlined below:

Stage 1 Funding Sought for the Steering Committee (7 members, who have been donating their time and expertise in online meetings for three months) to conclude the Study Pre-Planning phase. Funding will be used for a (Denver) research planning meeting the weekend of June 7th-10th, travel, accommodations, a small per diem for food allowance, technology purchases for the project website, website support resources, implementation of website for study signup, social media news notices, portal for study technology, and costs associated with 501(c)(3). The study's Independent Review Board ("IRB") has been identified as part of Stage 1.

Stage 2 funding of the study will involve recruiting approximately 10,000 study participants ("Veterans") who are currently living in states which authorize the use of Medical Marijuana (MMJ). Study participants will qualify with "PTSD" diagnoses as either the primary or the secondary diagnosis. Participants will receive pro bono symptom/medication usage monitoring services for a period of 12-18 months. (A subsidiary of Enigami Systems, Inc. has pledged in-kind technology services. The Steering Committee members have pledged to donate their time and expertise pro bono for the term of the study also.) We plan to analyze which mixes of the components of MMJ are better at treating certain symptoms, This should reduce the uncertainty of choosing the correct MMJ products and reduce unwanted side effects for all MMJ users. The Stage 2 budget will be outlined as part of the completion of Stage 1.

Stage 3 funding will be for data analysis and costs associated with publication for a tier 1 professional journal. The relationship between diagnostic symptoms and medical marijuana cannabinoids will be established. The projected budget has not been outlined as of yet.

For Veterans in states where medical marijuana states who want to participate in the study, please contact Mary Lynn (ML) Mathre at [email protected] .
Description
For Veterans who want to participate in the study please contact Mary Lynn (ML) Mathre at [email protected]

(The Harvard Link below, was personally emailed to me from Dr. Sewell at Yale, I am yet to follow up with the B.U professor, Terry Keane, a longtime PTSD researcher, Boston University psychiatry professor, and associate chief of staff for research and development at the Veterans Affairs Boston Healthcare System)

hxxp://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2010/03/post-traumatic-stress/

HarvardScience > Health & Medicine >
Post-traumatic stress
It’s a condition both more prevalent and more treatable than previously thought, researcher says

By Alvin Powell
Harvard Staff Writer
Wednesday, March 24, 2010

In the United States, women tend to develop PTSD at higher rates than men, something that is not fully understood but that may be related to the personal nature of violence against women, says Terry Keane, a longtime PTSD researcher, speaking before an audience at the Harvard School of Public Health.

The diagnosis and treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder has come a long way since the 1970s, with research now showing it is both more common and more treatable than once thought.

While early doubters dismissed the condition as a Western phenomenon that arose because researchers pathologized a nonmedical condition, subsequent research identified physiological changes to the brain because of extreme trauma and led to the development of a consistent ability to diagnose the condition, both in Western and other nations.

In fact, while surveys show that 7.8 percent of Americans have experienced post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), the numbers are far higher in some other nations, particularly those that have experienced intense violence. In Algeria and Cambodia, for example, which suffered through long civil wars, 37 percent and 28 percent of their populations, respectively, have experienced PTSD, studies say.

Terry Keane, a longtime PTSD researcher, Boston University psychiatry professor, and associate chief of staff for research and development at the Veterans Affairs Boston Healthcare System, described progress in recent decades in understanding PTSD during a talk at the Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) Tuesday (March 23). Keane delivered his remarks as part of the Barry R. Bloom Public Health Practice Leadership Speaker Series, sponsored by the HSPH Division of Public Health Practice.

Though rates of PTSD are not as high in the United States as in some war-torn nations, Keane said surveys show that PTSD is nonetheless a significant problem. Further, he said, studies show that the numbers and the levels of disability of those suffering from PTSD are higher than those of conditions such as major depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

In the United States, women tend to develop PTSD at higher rates than men, something Keane said is not fully understood but that may be related to the personal nature of violence against women. About 60.7 percent of men experience trauma severe enough to potentially trigger PTSD during their lifetimes, with 8.1 percent of them developing PTSD. For women, 51.2 percent experience trauma, with 20.4 percent developing PTSD.

PTSD is caused by an extreme trauma, which Keane described as a “massively disturbing event” that sparks intense alarm, anger, or distress. The condition is marked by apprehension and avoidance behaviors.

PTSD also imposes an economic burden on society, Keane said, with its sufferers missing 3.6 days a month from work, costing an estimated $3 billion in lost productivity annually.

“Can you imagine trying to hold down a job when you miss one day a week?” Keane asked.

The biggest cause of PTSD is the sudden and unexpected death of a loved one, Keane said. In that case, PTSD is different from the normal grieving that such a loss would cause and is triggered by particularly horrific or difficult conditions surrounding the death. Other major causes of the ailment are wartime combat, sexual violence, and community violence.

Those suffering PTSD can feel its effects for decades, Keane said. Progress in treating the condition has resulted in several therapeutic approaches and medicines that can help. Keane said he is very hopeful about the prospects of identifying and treating patients. One of the biggest challenges, though, is education to raise awareness.

“I am so hopeful,” Keane said. “[We can] turn around a devastating condition, a costly condition … if we can just get this [information] out.”

-----------------
hxxp://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/06/19/study-stroke-ptsd/2417697/

5:03 p.m. EDT June 19, 2013

About one in nine stroke or mini-stroke patients have chronic PTSD more than a year later, a new study finds.

1371137633000-YL-brain-stroke-19-1306191559_4_3_rx404_c534x401.jpg

[*]PTSD may hinder recovery after a stroke or mini-stroke
[*]Stroke is the fourth-leading cause of death in the USA
[*]Stroke is a leading cause of serious long-term disability

A stroke may leave some survivors with post-traumatic stress disorder, which may hinder their recovery, according to a study released today.
About 23% of patients who survive a stroke or transient ischemic attack, a brief interruption of blood flow to the brain, have PTSD symptoms within a year, the study finds. About 11% have chronic PTSD, in which symptoms last three months or longer, more than a year later. The study, led by Columbia University Medical Center researchers, was published online today in the journal PLOS ONE.
"Strokes are among the most terrifying life-threatening events," says lead author Donald Edmondson.
People think about PTSD in relation to external events like war or sexual assault, says Edmondson, assistant professor of behavioral medicine at Columbia's Center for Behavioral Cardiovascular Health. "There is something different about PTSD after a stroke because the threat is inside your body," he adds.
The analysis looked at nine studies of PTSD induced by a stroke or TIA, sometimes called a mini-stroke. The studies included 1,138 stroke or TIA survivors in France, Norway, Switzerland, United Kingdom and the United States. The average age of participants was 64.5 and 47.5% were men.
PTSD can develop after an event involving physical harm or the threat of physical harm, according to the National Institute of Mental Health. Symptoms include having nightmares, avoiding reminders of the event and feeling tense. Treatments are psychotherapy, medications or a combination.
Stroke is the fourth-leading cause of death in the USA, according to the American Stroke Association. It is a leading cause of serious long-term disability.
Ralph Sacco, an American Heart Association spokesman who was not involved in the study, says Edmondson's research looks at an under-recognized condition. "This is one of the first studies that investigates what's in the literature about PTSD after a stroke or TIA," he adds. "We often think of PTSD as coming on after other kinds of stressful events — wars or other emotional events.
"A stroke or TIA can be an emotionally charged event — some strokes can be life-threatening or potentially disabling," says Sacco, chairman of neurology at the Miller School of Medicine at the University of Miami.
Edmondson says, "Our current results show that PTSD in stroke and TIA survivors may increase their risk for recurrent stroke and other cardiovascular events."
The concern is that PTSD may threaten recovery. Previous research has shown that PTSD is associated with patients not adhering to their schedule for taking medications.
Sacco recommends that stroke patients who suspect that they have PTSD symptoms get medical attention.
Edmondson says there are good PTSD treatments. "But first, physicians and patients have to be aware that this is a problem," he says. "Family members can also help. We know that social support is a good protective factor against PTSD due to any type of traumatic event."
He adds, "The next step is further research to assess whether mental health treatment can reduce stroke- or TIA-induced PTSD symptoms and help these patients regain a feeling of normalcy and calm as soon as possible after their health scare."

Props for posting. I am thinking of copy-pasting it (as well as 7greeneyes' post) for my shrink. I want to start a blog on it eventually.

YYZ Skinhead said:
Props for posting. I am thinking of copy-pasting it (as well as 7greeneyes' post) for my shrink. I want to start a blog on it eventually.
Do it information is power the more who know the better it is.

I did print it all out for mine it's just not the same trying to explain all this, to them.

Also Props goes to JustAnotherAntMarching here at MP has contributed and inspired me to start this thread was him who started the wheels turning so props to him to.

Thanks for posting also all and any input such as yours is relavent, may make some one else do the same..:)

7GE's 7greeneyes
MJ-like Compound Could Lead to First Ever PTSD Medication
url: hMPp://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/05/14/marijuana-like-compound-could-lead-to-first-ever-medication-for-ptsd/

MJ-like Compound Could Lead to First Ever PTSD Medication

The life of an individual suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is often a debilitating one, as patients are frequently plagued by intense nightmares, flashbacks and emotional instability.

There are a number of psychotherapeutic treatments and cognitive behavioral therapy options to aid sufferers of PTSD, but these interventions are not always available to patients. And while medications tend to be the first line of defense for these individuals, no pharmaceutical treatments have been developed yet to specifically target PTSD.

But now, new research may help dramatically change the course of treatment for PTSD patients. In the first study of its kind, researchers at New York University Langone Medical Center have utilized brain imaging technology to highlight a connection between the number of cannabinoid receptors in the brain and PTSD. Cannabinoid receptors, known as CB1 receptors, are activated in the brain when a person uses cannabis, which can lead to impaired memory and reduced anxiety.

The researchers’ findings pave the way for the development of the first every medication designed explicitly to treat trauma – something, they say, is desperately needed.

“The first line of treatment (for PTSD patients) is selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, which is a class of medication generally used with good effects in people with depression,” lead author Dr. Alexander Neumeister, director of the molecular imaging program in the departments of psychiatry and radiology at NYU School of Medicine, told FoxNews.com.

“These medications do not really do the job for people with PTSD, so clinicians use anything else that is legally available on the market. They often use different classes of medications developed for things like depression, schizophrenia, or bipolar disorder, and overall there’s consensus that these do not work.”

Affecting nearly 8 million Americans each year, PTSD is an anxiety disorder that is developed after an individual experiences a dangerous or painful life event – such as a sexual assault, a tragic accident, surviving an act of extreme violence or the experience of fighting in a war. Of the 1.7 million American men and women in the military who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan, approximately 20 percent have been diagnosed with PTSD.

During the past decade, Neumeister and his team have studied the impact PTSD has on the brain’s physiology and have found that exposure to severe trauma can considerably alter how the brain functions. With this knowledge in mind, the researchers decided to examine CB1 receptors in the brain due to a common trend observed among PTSD patients: Marijuana use. In an attempt to cope with their symptoms, many PTSD patients end up using and abusing cannabis, which helps to temporarily relieve them of their incapacitating episodes.

According to Neumeister, PTSD patients often report that smoking marijuana works better for them than any other legal medication, leading the researchers to believe that the manipulation of CB1 receptors in the brain may have a beneficial impact on trauma symptoms.

“About 8 years ago, the first animal study was published showing that everybody has endogenous cannabinoids, or endocannabinoids, in the brain – meaning this substance is in the brain of every person,”
Neumeister said, noting that endocannabinoids act like cannabis, binding to CB1 receptors to help extinguish traumatic memories. “Animal studies have suggested that increasing cannabinoids in the brain helps them to forget painful events and form new memories, so they start to learn to digest what they went through and get over it. We thought this may be relevant to PTSD.”

To test this idea, the researchers performed positron emission tomography (PET) imaging on the brains of 60 participants who had been divided into three groups – those with PTSD, those with a history of trauma, but no PTSD, and those with no history of trauma or PTSD. Each participant was injected with a harmless radioactive tracer, which was designed to travel to the CB1 receptors in the brain and illuminate them under the PET scan.
The images revealed what the researchers had expected. The individuals with PTSD had higher levels of CB1 receptors in areas of the brain associated with fear and anxiety than the volunteers without PTSD.

Those with PTSD also had lower levels of the neurotransmitter anandamide, an endocannabinoid that binds to CB1. Neumeister explained that lower levels of anandamide prompts the brain to compensate by increasing the number of CB1 receptors, resulting in an imbalanced endocannibinoid system.

Because CB1 receptors help regulate mood and anxiety, the scientists advised against creating medications to destroy them in the brain, as that would lead to depression. Instead, Neumeister said their PTSD medication would rely on promoting CB1 equilibrium.

“We want to increase the concentration of these endocannabinoids,” Neumeister said. “So we are currently working on the methods to do this, and we have developed a compound that is able to increase the concentration of endocannabioniods without attacking the receptors. It helps restore a normal balance of this chemical in the brains of those with PTSD.”

Neumeister claims the compound is very safe and does not come with the added health problems caused by chronic marijuana use.

“Very soon, we will be able to start clinical trial of this medication in people,” Neumeister said. “It’s the first medication developed for people with PTSD, so I hope that it will open up a new generation of treatment for people.”

The study, funded by the National Institutes of Health, was published in the journal Molecular Psychiatry.

Thanks Hal. as well as others for removing non topic posts ty again.

Marijuana's march toward mainstream confounds feds
NANCY BENAC, Associated Press, By NANCY BENAC and ALICIA A. CALDWELL, Associated Press
Updated 2:54 am, Monday, July 1, 2013

WASHINGTON (AP) — It took 50 years for American attitudes about marijuana to zigzag from the paranoia of "Reefer Madness" to the excesses of Woodstock back to the hard line of "Just Say No."

The next 25 years took the nation from Bill Clinton, who famously "didn't inhale," to Barack Obama, who most emphatically did.
And now, in just a few short years, public opinion has moved so dramatically toward general acceptance that even those who champion legalization are surprised at how quickly attitudes are changing and states are moving to approve the drug — for medical use and just for fun.
It is a moment in America that is rife with contradictions:
—People are looking more kindly on marijuana even as science reveals more about the drug's potential dangers, particularly for young people.
—States are giving the green light to the drug in direct defiance of a federal prohibition on its use.
—Exploration of the potential medical benefit is limited by high federal hurdles to research.
Washington policymakers seem reluctant to deal with any of it.
Richard Bonnie, a University of Virginia law professor who worked for a national commission that recommended decriminalizing marijuana in 1972, sees the public taking a big leap from prohibition to a more laissez-faire approach without full deliberation.
"It's a remarkable story historically," he says. "But as a matter of public policy, it's a little worrisome. It's intriguing, it's interesting, it's good that liberalization is occurring, but it is a little worrisome."
More than a little worrisome to those in the anti-drug movement.
"We're on this hundred-mile-an-hour freight train to legalizing a third addictive substance," says Kevin Sabet, a former drug policy adviser in the Obama administration, lumping marijuana with tobacco and alcohol.
Legalization strategist Ethan Nadelmann, executive director of the Drug Policy Alliance, likes the direction the marijuana smoke is wafting. But he knows his side has considerable work yet to do.
"I'm constantly reminding my allies that marijuana is not going to legalize itself," he says
___
By the numbers:
Eighteen states and the District of Columbia have legalized the use of marijuana for medical purposes since California voters made the first move in 1996. Voters in Colorado and Washington state took the next step last year and approved pot for recreational use. Alaska is likely to vote on the same question in 2014, and a few other states are expected to put recreational use on the ballot in 2016.
Nearly half of adults have tried marijuana, 12 percent of them in the past year, according to a survey by the Pew Research Center. More teenagers now say they smoke marijuana than ordinary cigarettes.
Fifty-two percent of adults favor legalizing marijuana, up 11 percentage points just since 2010, according to Pew. Sixty percent think Washington shouldn't enforce federal laws against marijuana in states that have approved its use. Seventy-two percent think government efforts to enforce marijuana laws cost more than they're worth.
"By Election Day 2016, we expect to see at least seven states where marijuana is legal and being regulated like alcohol," says Mason Tvert, a spokesman for the Marijuana Policy Project, a national legalization group.

Where California led the charge on medical marijuana, the next chapter in this story is being written in Colorado and Washington state.

Policymakers there are struggling with all sorts of sticky issues revolving around one central question: How do you legally regulate the production, distribution, sale and use of marijuana for recreational purposes when federal law bans all of the above?

How do you tax it? What quality control standards do you set? How do you protect children while giving grown-ups the go-ahead to light up? What about driving under the influence? Can growers take business tax deductions? Who can grow pot, and how much? Where can you use it? Can cities opt out? Can workers be fired for smoking marijuana when they're off duty? What about taking pot out of state? The list goes on.

The overarching question has big national implications. How do you do all of this without inviting the wrath of the federal government, which has been largely silent so far on how it will respond to a gaping conflict between U.S. and state law?

The Justice Department began reviewing the matter after last November's election and repeatedly has promised to respond soon. But seven months later, states still are on their own, left to parse every passing comment from the department and President Obama.

In December, Obama said in an interview that "it does not make sense, from a prioritization point of view, for us to focus on recreational drug users in a state that has already said that under state law that's legal."

In April, Attorney General Eric Holder said to Congress, "We are certainly going to enforce federal law. ... When it comes to these marijuana initiatives, I think among the kinds of things we will have to consider is the impact on children." He also mentioned violence related to drug trafficking and organized crime.

In May, Obama told reporters: "I honestly do not believe that legalizing drugs is the answer. But I do believe that a comprehensive approach — not just law enforcement, but prevention and education and treatment — that's what we have to do."

Rep. Jared Polis, a Colorado Democrat who favors legalization, predicts Washington will take a hands-off approach, based on Obama's comments about setting law enforcement priorities.

"We would like to see that in writing," Polis says. "But we believe, given the verbal assurances of the president, that we are moving forward in Colorado and Washington in implementing the will of the voters."

The federal government has taken a similar approach toward users in states that have approved marijuana for medical use. It doesn't go after pot-smoking cancer patients or grandmas with glaucoma. But it also has warned that people who are in the business of growing, selling and distributing marijuana on a large scale are subject to potential prosecution for violations of the Controlled Substances Act — even in states that have legalized medical use.

Federal agents in recent years have raided storefront dispensaries in California and Washington, seizing cash and pot. In April, the Justice Department targeted 63 dispensaries in Santa Ana, Calif., and filed three asset forfeiture lawsuits against properties housing seven pot shops. Prosecutors also sent letters to property owners and operators of 56 other marijuana dispensaries warning that they could face similar lawsuits.

University of Denver law professor Sam Kamin says if the administration doesn't act soon to sort out the federal-state conflict, it may be too late to do much.

"At some point, it becomes so prevalent and so many citizens will be engaged in it that it's hard to recriminalize something that's become commonplace," he says.

___

There's a political calculus for the president, or any other politician, in all of this.

Younger people, who tend to vote more Democratic, are more supportive of legalizing marijuana, as are people in the West, where the libertarian streak runs strong. In Colorado, for example, last November more people voted for legalized pot (55 percent) than voted for Obama (51 percent), which could help explain why the president was silent on marijuana before the election.

"We're going to get a cultural divide here pretty quickly," says Greg Strimple, a Republican pollster based in Boise, Idaho, who predicts Obama will duck the issue as long as possible.

Despite increasing public acceptance of marijuana, and growing interest in its potential therapeutic uses, politicians know there are complications that could come with commercializing an addictive substance, some of them already evident in medical marijuana states. Opponents of pot are particularly worried that legalization will result in increased adolescent use as young people's estimations of the drug's dangers decline.

"There's no real win on this from a political perspective," says Sabet. "Do you want to be the president that stops a popular cause, especially a cause that's popular within your own party? Or do you want to be the president that enables youth drug use that will have ramifications down the road?"

Marijuana legalization advocates offer politicians a rosier scenario, in which legitimate pot businesses eager to keep their operating licenses make sure not to sell to minors.

"Having a regulated system is the only way to ensure that we're not ceding control of this popular substance to the criminal market and to black marketeers," says Aaron Smith, executive director of the National Cannabis Industry Association, a trade group for legal pot businesses in the U.S.

See Change Research, which analyzes the marijuana business, has estimated the national market for medical marijuana alone at $1.7 billion for 2011 and has projected it could reach $8.9 billion in five years. Overall, marijuana users spend tens of billions of dollars a year on pot, experts believe.

Ultimately, marijuana advocates say, it's Congress that needs to budge, aligning federal laws with those of states moving to legalization. But that doesn't appear likely anytime soon.

The administration appears uncertain how to proceed.

"The executive branch is in a pickle," Rep. Ed Perlmutter, D-Colo., said at a recent news conference outside the Capitol with pot growers visiting town to lobby for changes. "Twenty-one states have a different view of the use of marijuana than the laws on the books for the federal government."
___

While the federal government hunkers down, Colorado and Washington state are moving forward on their own.

Colorado's governor in May signed a set of bills to regulate legal use of the drug, and the state's November ballot will ask voters to approve special sales and excise taxes on pot. In Washington state, the Liquor Control Board is drawing up rules covering everything from how plants will be grown to how many stores will be allowed. It expects to issue licenses for growers and processors in December, and impose 25 percent taxes three times over — when pot is grown, processed and sold to consumers.

"What we're beginning to see is the unraveling of the criminal approach to marijuana policy," says Tim Lynch, director of the libertarian Cato Institute's Project on Criminal Justice. But, Lynch adds, "the next few years are going to be messy. There are going to be policy battles" as states work to bring a black market industry into the sunshine, and Washington wrestles with how to respond.

Already, a federal judge has struck down a Colorado requirement that pot magazines such as High Times be kept behind store counters, like pornography.

Marijuana advocates in Washington state, where officials have projected the legal pot market could bring the state a half-billion a year in revenue, are complaining that state regulators are still banning sales of hash or hash oil, a marijuana extract.

Pot growers in medical marijuana states are chafing at federal laws that deny them access to the banking system, tax deductions and other opportunities that other businesses take for granted. Many dispensaries are forced to operate on a cash-only basis, which can be an invitation to organized crime.

It's already legal for adults in Colorado and Washington to light up at will, as long as they do so in private.

That creates all kinds of new challenges for law enforcement.

Pat Slack, a commander with the Snohomish County Regional Drug Taskforce in Washington state, said local police are receiving calls about smokers flouting regulations against lighting up in public. In at least one instance, Slack said, that included a complaint about a smoker whose haze was wafting over a backyard fence and into the middle of a child's birthday party. But with many other problems confronting local officers, scofflaws are largely being ignored.

"There's not much we can do to help," Slack says. "A lot of people have to get accustomed to what the change is."

In Colorado, Tom Gorman, director of the federal Rocky Mountain High Intensity Drug Taskforce, takes a tougher stance on his state's decision to legalize pot.

"This is against the law, I don't care what Colorado says," Gorman said. "It puts us in a position, where you book a guy or gal and they have marijuana, do you give it back? Do you destroy it? What in effect I am doing by giving it back is I am committing a felony. If the court orders me to return it, the court is giving me an illegal order."

More than 30 pot growers and distributors, going all-out to present a buttoned-down image in suits and sensible pumps rather than ponytails and weed T-shirts, spent two days on Capitol Hill in June lobbying for equal treatment under tax and banking laws and seeking an end to federal property seizures.

"It's truly unfortunate that the Justice Department can't find a way to respect the will of the people," says Sean Luse of the 13-year-old Berkeley Patients Group in California, a multimillion-dollar pot collective whose landlord is facing the threat of property forfeiture.

___

As Colorado and Washington state press on, California's experience with medical marijuana offers a window into potential pitfalls that can come with wider availability of pot.

Dispensaries for medical marijuana have proliferated in the state. Regulation has been lax, leading some overwhelmed communities to complain about too-easy access from illegal storefront pot shops and related problems such as loitering and unsavory characters. That prompted cities around the state to say enough already and ban dispensaries. Pot advocates sued.

In May, the California Supreme Court ruled unanimously that cities and counties can ban medical marijuana dispensaries. A few weeks later, Los Angeles voters approved a ballot measure that limits the number of pot shops in the city to 135, down from an estimated high of about 1,000. By contrast, whitepages.com lists 112 Starbucks in the city.

This isn't full-scale buyer's remorse, but more a course correction before the inevitable next push to full-on legalization in the state.

Baker Montgomery, a member of the Eagle Rock neighborhood council in Los Angeles, where pot shops were prevalent, said May's vote to limit the number of shops was all about ridding the city of illicit dispensaries.

"They're just not following what small amounts of rules there are on the books," Montgomery said.

In 2010, California voters opted against legalizing marijuana for recreational use, drawing the line at medical use.

But Jeffrey Dunn, a Southern California attorney who represented cities in the Supreme Court case, says that in reality the state's dispensaries have been operating so loosely that already "it's really all-access."

At the Venice Beach Care Center, one of the dispensaries that will be allowed to stay open in Los Angeles, founding director Brennan Thicke believes there still is widespread support for medical marijuana in California. But he says the state isn't ready for more just yet.

"We have to get (medical) right first," Thicke said.

Dunn doubts that's possible.

"What we've learned is, it is very difficult if not impossible to regulate these facilities," he said.

___

Other states, Colorado among them, have had their own bumps in the road with medical marijuana.

A Denver-area hospital, for example, saw children getting sick after eating treats and other foods made with marijuana in the two years after a 2009 federal policy change led to a surge in medical marijuana use, according to a study in JAMA Pediatrics in May. In the preceding four years, the hospital had no such cases.

The Colorado Education Department reported a sharp rise in drug-related suspensions and expulsions after medical marijuana took off. An audit of the state's medical marijuana system found the state had failed to adequately track the growth and distribution of pot or to fully check out the backgrounds of pot dealers.

"What we're doing is not working," says Dr. Christian Thurstone, a psychiatrist whose Denver youth substance abuse treatment center has seen referrals for marijuana double since September. In addition, he sees young people becoming increasingly reluctant to be treated, arguing that it can't be bad for them if it's legal.

Yet Daniel Rees, a researcher at the University of Colorado Denver, analyzed data from 16 states that have approved medical marijuana and found no evidence that legalization had increased pot use among high school students.

In looking at young people, Rees concludes: "Should we be worried that marijuana use nationally is going up? Yes. Is legalization of medical marijuana the culprit? No."

___

Growing support for legalization doesn't mean everybody wants to light up: Barely one in 10 Americans used pot in the past year.

Those who do want to see marijuana legalized range from libertarians who oppose much government intervention to people who want to see an activist government aggressively regulate marijuana production and sales.

Safer-than-alcohol was "the message that won the day" with voters in Colorado, says Tvert.

For others, money talks: Why let drug cartels rake in untaxed profits when a cut of that money could go into government coffers?

There are other threads in the growing acceptance of pot.

People think it's not as dangerous as once believed; some reflect back on what they see as their own harmless experience in their youth. They worry about high school kids getting an arrest record that will haunt them for life. They see racial inequity in the way marijuana laws are enforced. They're weary of the "war on drugs," and want law enforcement to focus on other areas.

"I don't plan to use marijuana, but it just seemed we waste a lot of time and energy trying to enforce something when there are other things we should be focused on," says Sherri Georges, who works at a Colorado Springs, Colo., saddle shop. "I think that alcohol is a way bigger problem than marijuana, especially for kids."

Opponents have retorts at the ready.

They point to a 2012 study finding that regular use of marijuana during teen years can lead to a long-term drop in IQ, and a different study indicating marijuana use can induce and exacerbate psychotic illness in susceptible people. They question the idea that regulating pot will bring in big money, saying revenue estimates are grossly exaggerated.

They counter the claim that prisons are bulging with people convicted of simple possession by citing federal statistics showing only a small percentage of federal and state inmates are behind bars for that alone. Slack said the vast majority of people jailed for marijuana possession were originally charged with dealing drugs and accepted plea bargains for possession. The average possession charge for those in jail is 115 pounds, Slack says, which he calls enough for "personal use for a small city."

Over and over, marijuana opponents warn that baby boomers who are drawing on their own innocuous experiences with pot are overlooking the much higher potency of the marijuana now in circulation.

In 2009, concentrations of THC, the psychoactive ingredient in pot, averaged close to 10 percent in marijuana, compared with about 4 percent in the 1980s, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse. An estimated 9 percent of people who try marijuana eventually become addicted, and the numbers are higher for those who start using pot when they are young. That's less than the addiction rates for nicotine or alcohol, but still significant.

"If marijuana legalization was about my old buddies at Berkeley smoking in People's Park once a week I don't think many of us would care that much," says Sabet, who helped to found Smart Approaches to Marijuana, a group that opposes legalization. "But it's not about that. It's really about creating a new industry that's going to target kids and target minorities and our vulnerable populations just like our legal industries do today."

___

So how bad, or good, is pot?

There are studies that set off medical alarm bells but also studies that support the safer-than-alcohol crowd and suggest promising therapeutic uses.

J. Michael Bostwick, a psychiatrist at the Mayo Clinic, set out to sort through more than 100 sometimes conflicting studies after his teenage son became addicted to pot. In a 22-page article for Mayo Clinic Proceedings in 2012, he laid out the contradictions in U.S. policy and declared that "little about cannabis is straightforward."

"Anybody can find data to support almost any position," Bostwick says now.

For all of the talk that smoking pot is no big deal, Bostwick says, he determined that "it was a very big deal. There were addiction issues. There were psychosis issues. But there was also this very large body of literature suggesting that it could potentially have very valuable pharmaceutical applications but the research was stymied" by federal barriers.

Marijuana is a Schedule I drug under 1970 law, meaning the government deems it to have "no currently accepted medical use" and a "high potential for abuse." The only federally authorized source of marijuana for research is grown at the University of Mississippi, and the government tightly regulates its use. The National Institute on Drug Abuse says plenty of work with cannabis is ongoing, but Bostwick says federal restrictions have caused a "near-cessation of scientific research."

The American Medical Association opposes legalizing pot, calling it a "dangerous drug" and a public health concern. But it also is urging the government to review marijuana's status as a Schedule 1 drug in the interest of promoting more research.

"The evidence is pretty clear that in 1970 the decision to make the drug illegal, or put it on Schedule I, was a political decision," says Bostwick. "And it seems pretty obvious in 2013 that states, making their decisions the way they are, are making political decisions. Science is not present in either situation to the degree that it needs to be."

The National Institute on Drug Abuse's director, Dr. Nora Volkow, says that for all the potential dangers of marijuana, "cannabinoids are just amazing compounds, and understanding how to use them properly could be actually very beneficial therapeutically." But she worries that legalizing pot will result in increased use of marijuana by young people, and impair their brain development.

"You cannot mess around with the cognitive capacity of your young people because you are going to rely on them," she says. "Think about it: Do you want a nation where your young people are stoned?"

___

As state after state moves toward a more liberal approach to marijuana, the turnaround is drawing comparisons to shifting attitudes on gay marriage, for which polls find rapidly growing acceptance, especially among younger voters. That could point toward durable majority support as this population ages. Gay marriage is now legal in 12 states and Washington, D.C.

On marijuana, "we're having a hard time almost believing how fast public opinion is changing in our direction," says Nadelmann of the Drug Policy Alliance.

But William Galston and E.J. Dionne, who co-wrote a paper on the new politics of marijuana for the Brookings Institution, believe marijuana legalization hasn't achieved a deep enough level of support to suggest a tipping point, with attitudes toward legalization marked by ambivalence and uncertainty.

"Compared with attitudes toward same-sex marriage, support for marijuana legalization is much less driven by moral conviction and much more by the belief that it is not a moral issue at all," they wrote.

No one expects Congress to change federal law anytime soon.

Partisans on both sides think people in other states will keep a close eye on the precedent-setting experiment underway in Colorado and Washington as they decide whether to give the green light to marijuana elsewhere.

"It will happen very suddenly," predicts the Cato Institute's Lynch. "In 10-15 years, it will be hard to find a politician who will say they were ever against legalization."

Sabet worries that things will move so fast that the negative effects of legalization won't yet be fully apparent when other states start giving the go-ahead to pot. He's hoping for a different outcome.

"I actually think that this is going to wake a lot of people up who might have looked the other way during the medical marijuana debate," he says. "In many ways, it actually might be the catalyst to turn things around."

Past predictions on pot have been wildly off-base, in both directions.

The 1972 commission that recommended decriminalizing marijuana speculated pot might be nothing more than a fad.

Then there's "Reefer Madness," the 1936 propaganda movie that pot fans rediscovered and turned into a cult classic in the 1970s. It labeled pot "The Real Public Enemy Number One!"

The movie spins a tale of dire consequences "leading finally to acts of shocking violence ... ending often in incurable insanity."

___

Associated Press writers Kristen Wyatt in Denver, Gene Johnson in Seattle, Lauran Neergaard in Washington and AP researcher Monika Mathur in Washington contributed to this report.

hxxp://www.hightimes.com/read/ptsd-included-qualifying-condition-maine-medical-pot-law

hxxp://blog.norml.org/2013/06/27/maine-medical-marijuana-program-expanded-to-include-patients-with-ptsd-other-debilitating-disorders/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=Maine:+Medical+Marijuana+Program+Expanded+To+Include+Patients+With+PTSD,+Other+Debilitating+Disorders

**PTSD Included as Qualifying Condition in Maine Medical Pot Law
By Mark Miller · Tue Jul 02, 2013

Last week the Maine legislature added post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) to the list of conditions that qualify to be treated legally with medical marijuana. Both the Senate and the House of Representatives approved the bill amending the Maine Medical Use of Marijuana Act. The law passed without requiring the signature of Governor Paul LePage.

In addition to PTSD, inflammatory bowel disease, dyskinetic and spastic movement disorders, and other diseases causing severe and persistent muscle spasms may now be treated with medical cannabis.

Maine first legalized marijuana as medicine in 1999. And in 2009 the voter-approved Maine Medical Marijuana Act expanded the original law.

Rep Elizabeth Dickerson (D-Rockland) sponsored the new bill, aptly named “An Act To Add Conditions That Qualify for Medical Marijuana Use,” at the request of numerous U.S. military veterans. It will take effect this September.

The original version of the bill proposed marijuana as treatment for a very wide range of conditions including opioid dependence. However, the Maine Medical Association objected and the bill was changed.

More @ bangordailynews.com

hxxps://www.facebook.com/ASpousesStoryPTSD

Do you know the signs of suicide?

Suicide and suicidal thoughts are something that are very real to those with PTSD, and many times their loved ones as well. We all know PTSD is a struggle, a huge struggle, but it does not have to be the end of life.

The number of suicides linked to PTSD per day are off the charts. Many do not realize it is a battle that you CAN find help for and through. When you have these thoughts, reach out to someone, and as the other person recognize the signs that someone is reaching for help, the signs are there.

Suicidal thoughts bring many warning signs, in a lot of cases many words. They are not something to brush off until later, they are not something to take lightly, and all seriousness is much needed. I can not begin to tell you the grief and guilt one suffers when they “didn’t recognize the signs”. The “If I had…” I have heard from ones who have lost a loved one to suicide. It’s heartbreaking! It’s the “if I had known then what I know now”.

Anyone that lives life with someone who has PTSD, rather the person has experienced suicidal thoughts/actions or not to your knowledge, needs to be aware of the signs. With PTSD, you never know when those thoughts will show up, be prepared for them. I personally do not know of many with PTSD that has not at least had the thought, it’s something that comes with suffering from PTSD.

Warning signs:

* Talking about death a lot or outright stating they want to die.

* Mentioning they have thought about dieing or would rather be dead.

* Stating they feel unwanted or asking why they are even here.

* Feeling unworthy.

* Stating there is nothing left worth living for.

* Attempting suicide in the past brings greater risk to those thoughts or actions happening again.

* Telling everyone close to them “good-bye”

* Alcohol or drug abuse can be a sign, it shows there is a struggle that they are having to rely on something else and having a difficult time being able to cope.

* Discarding their favorite possessions.

* Leaving notes for loved ones “in case I’m not around…”

* Tempting fate with high risk actions that could lead to death. Things out of their norm they are now doing, presenting lack of cautious to serious situations.

* Stating “I can’t do this anymore”.

* Putting financials, wills, etc in order more then normal.

* Extreme voicing or acting of hating themselves.

* Depression signs worse then normal.

* Constant weighing on guilt they feel to the point it’s hard for them to function.

* Caring for one who is suicidal can also cause the carer to feel hopeless and sometimes suicidal.

There are many signs of suicidal thoughts/actions. These are just a few of the many. Many people who suffer from different forms of mental disorders/injuries as well as overwhelming stress will show some type of signs when suicide starts haunting them. Recognize the signs and reach out for help, and be there to help them. PTSD and other illnesses can make you feel very alone. Make sure others know you are there for them, there are so many things that can help them through these times an thoughts, use them.

If you are one who has suicidal thoughts, I know this battle within you is hard, the most difficult thing you have ever experienced, I know you feel alone, feel that no one cares, and/or feel that you would be better off not here on this earth. But I’m here to tell you, you are wrong! Even through the most loneliest hours, there is someone who cares, there is someone that you mean the world to, and there is a reason to live! Don’t give up on yourself. You are worth way more then that! Even if right now you don’t see it, there is life still and there is life with PTSD. Don’t stop fighting, never stop fighting!

Know there are people who do care, this is not something you have to go through alone. Talk to someone, reach your hand out for help, and know YOU are worth fighting this and life IS worth living!

My heart goes out to all of you! YOU ARE WORTH THE FIGHT! Don’t forget that!

~Bec
“A Spouse’s Story…PTSD”

When you are not located in the same area as one with PTSD

This is a very emotionally difficult one, and many are or have gone through this. It could be you live in a different location, or one with PTSD or maybe even PTSD symptoms are deployed. The distance can be very difficult when you are trying to be there for someone, or as the one with PTSD, need someone. So let's go over a few different things concerning this.

How to know if someone may be suffering from a distance.

The signs will be there! You just have to have the knowledge of what to look for. One that might have PTSD or one that does, may break lines of communication at times. This is the most frightening thing to a loved one. You aren't sure if they are okay, you aren't sure if they need you, you can't get in touch with them no matter how hard you try, and you could easily go into a panic yourself.

Breaks in communication are actually normal for one with PTSD. Not that it's a great thing for either of you, but it can or does happen. One with PTSD sometimes just want their space and want to be left alone. It can be due to them trying to cope by themselves, not wanting to be a burden on others, or just don't want you to see what they might be going through. The largest time this can happen is normally around anniversary date(s) of when their trauma happened. Sometimes, they may not even know these dates themselves, but you can very well figure them out by the quietness or lack of communication. It can also occur around holidays, especially if they experience survivor's guilt.

This is one of those stuck between a rock and a hard place situations. With knowing what PTSD can bring, and knowing the suicide rate is high, you want to know they are safe.

It's okay during this time to send them a text message or email, it's okay to call and leave them a message. But you can't be harassing while doing this or they could very well pull away from you. Sending some form of communication will allow one to know you are there for them, and if they are having a hard time it reminds them you are there. And most of all, don't let your emotions of worry turn into anger. When they do finally contact you back you don't want to show anger towards them.

Now, to the ones with PTSD, it's okay to reply back and simply say "I just need to be alone right now, I'll get back to you." That let's them know you are okay but at the same time can give you the room you need. And if you are indeed thinking of self harm, grab their hand when they reach out to you and let them help!!

What if you are concerned that someone may have PTSD.

This is tough, you are not physically there but just have that gut feeling. What are the signs to look for?

* Lack of communication

* Change in personality when you talk to them

* Not remembering something you have talked about before, beyond normal forgetfulness.

* Being argumentative more then normal.

* Seeming depressed beyond what a person would experience just from a bad day.

* Seeming paranoid about everything

* Personality or the way they talk seems to bounce all over the place and not an even personality, without outside influence.

* Sounding of more anxiety or stressed beyond what a situation would normally have.

* Complaining of headaches more then the normal.

* Talking about financial issues beyond what they should be experiencing, even spending money when they normally wouldn't.

* Being angry at the world one second then okay the next, which seems to become routine.

* Talking a lot about the past or something that happened that seems to be weighing on them.

* Talk of self harm or how they should not be alive or should not have lived. (Refer to my posting, knowing the signs of suicide)

* Asking you "what should I do...", decrease in decision making.

* Physical health issues. There are many physical issues that can co-occur with PTSD. If you notice these starting it could very well be another sign of PTSD being at hand.

* They stop going out like they use to or even put off going to the store when they need to.

These are just a few examples, but it gives you an idea of things you can see without actually being there with them. These things can be picked up on in conversations, text messages, emails, they are still signs that can be noticed even with physical distance between you.

Another thing that can greatly help when there is distance is video call/chat. Technology can work to both of your advantages when it comes to this. It doesn't matter if you are the one needing the support or the one offering it, both can use this and make the physical distance feel a little closer.

One with PTSD or may have PTSD needs your support! The first thing you need to do is learn about PTSD and what comes with it. By doing this it will help keep miscommunication and arguments down, or them shutting you out... and teach you what you can do to help instead of hinder. You don't have to be living with the person or in their local area to notice signs or offer help. The bottom line is, no matter what the distance may be, one with PTSD needs your support and a support system. And it may be you that convince them to get the professional help they need.

~Bec
"A Spouse's Story...PTSD"
Story...P

PTSD and Things you might not think about.

We know the text book definition and symptoms of PTSD, but what about the other things? What else can come (co-occur) with PTSD?

* Depression

* Habit forming behaviors (such as checking locks, windows, doors, biting fingernails, shaking of the legs...)

* Cognitive functioning/ Memory problems

* Addiction (such as alcohol, drugs, pornography, video games)

* Physical Health problems. (listed individually)

* Heart disease

* Weight gain

* Heart palpitations

* Diabetes

* Physical Reactions/damage from medications

* Bed wetting

* Low self-esteem/self worth

* Hallucinations

* Trouble finding or keeping a job

* Relationship issues

* Difficulty concentrating and/or making decisions

* Upset stomach/Digestive problems

* Headaches

* Tightness in chest

* Rapid breathing

* Feeling jittery/agitated

* Sexual issues (reduced sex drive and/or lack of wanting or enjoying. Both men and women)

* Physical aches/pains

* Guilt, shame, or self-blame

* Feeling hopeless or helpless

* Lack of trusting or feeling betrayal

* Loss of interest in things that use to be important to you

* Isolating one's self from others, even loved ones

* Sleep Apnea

* Reproductive related problems

* Dissociative symptoms

* Self-harm

* Physical or verbal/mental abuse to others

WOW! And that's sure not a complete list. There are many things that can come with or from PTSD. Learning what those things are and information about each symptom, physical or mental, one with PTSD can or does have can help you cope better and handle things to the best possible level. Even if one does have one or many of these symptoms, there is hope and things can be done to help.

Getting help for PTSD at early stages can greatly help in preventing many things from happening or starting. If one has already had PTSD for some time, you still need to get help so the days that follow can be better then what you may be experiencing right now.

This is your life! Reach for the help you need, lean on others, use your support system, seek professional help, and know that life IS worth living, even with PTSD! You are the "best of the best", don't allow PTSD to take that away from you.

~Bec
"A Spouse's

Learning about Triggers.

Many when they hear the word "trigger" automatically think of sights and sounds to which one with PTSD responds to.

Fact is, triggers don't stop there! Triggers can be set off by any of the body's sensory system. Sight, sound, smell, taste, touch. Anything that is from the physical world transferred to the mind.

So when you are focusing on what triggers someone, never stop with sight and sounds. Triggers can come from anything which was experienced at the time of "what happened" that caused PTSD.

Examples:

* Weather conditions.

This could be storms, heat, cold, humidity...

* The taste of a food.

This is something I have found common with the Vietnam era. Certain taste of foods can be linked to triggers.

* Vibrations.

These can be related to accidents... cars, trains, planes, military such as helicopters and flight decks of ships and ships themselves, storms...

* Smell.

The smell of fuels, fireworks can be linked to combat smells, smell of certain foods or places that were present at the time of the trauma...

*Sound.

Sounds can have an endless list also... clicking, radio noises such as from headsets, car backfire, crackling from a fireplace...

* Touch.

The feel of a fabric, or certain fluids, a physical touch from another person, a breeze on your face or sun...

So when trying to pin down what triggers a person in order for them to learn techniques to cope the best they can with their triggers, you have to think about all of the senses involved with the mind. You might just notice things you never realized before. A trigger is caused by "something", they don't just come out of the blue with no meaning behind them. When you find the meanings or what triggers are, you can find ways of getting through them better then before.

~Bec

PTSD vs Outside Negative Influence

This is huge! Anyone that has PTSD probably has heard their doctor say “Try to avoid additional stress.” Or something along those lines. Keeping a calm, stable environment is pretty important when it comes to PTSD and coping with it.

Hard one to do isn’t it? I mean, this is real life which comes with stressful situations.

There are many situations in life where it is just not possible. Sometimes you are put in a position where you have to face it and handle it accordingly. Lay the facts on the table and do what you have to in order to get the situation handled/solved and move on. Don’t hold on to negative situations… when you do they are just going to eat at you and bring you down, flair up your PTSD symptoms, as well as depression if you also suffer from it. Don’t let them run your life.

Work with the facts.

What can you do right now this minute?

If there is nothing you can do right now this minute then try not to dwell on it. When the time comes to handle it, then be prepared for it but don’t allow it to run your life every second of every day. Pace yourself and don’t get ahead of yourself with the what if’s and but’s. When you allow this to happen, many times your mind thought process will leave from the facts at hand and everything will start to consume you and your life. Don’t allow this to happen!

Then there are others who like to push your buttons so to speak… which is nothing less then cruel! Especially when they know there is a disability at hand.

But I hate to say this happens oh too often. Some people are going to try to break you, weigh you down, try to put you in a worse condition then you are already battling… normally for their own personal gain or due to their own issues in life. A bully, that’s really all they are. Someone who is not happy with their own life so they pick on someone else.

Don’t let them! Life already has enough that comes with it without you allowing other people to get at you. When these times come, and sooner or later they will come, focus on who you are and don’t let their words or actions tear you down. You are better then that and obviously a better person then they are!

So what do you do?

* Stick with the facts of the situation.

* Don’t let the “what could happen” weigh you down.

* Handle things accordingly as they come and don’t let them consume you and your life.

* Don’t allow negative people over rule who you really are or cause you to question yourself.

* Use coping skills in stressful situations.

* Make a plan of action for situations you know are coming. Set a pace and timeline for you to do things to prepare for it so it does not consume your life every second of every day.

* Don’t allow a situation to take over your time you need to focus on yourself and take care of yourself.

* Talk to someone close to you or your doctor when stressful things are weighing on you. Just talking to someone can help.

* Seek professional help in situations where a professional can take added stress off of you rather it is a financial adviser, a lawyer, a doctor, or even a housekeeper or lawn maintenance person.

* Avoid negative people if you have to.

PTSD can be stressful by itself, then adding stress that comes with everyday life to it is at times difficult. Do what you know is best in or for your situation and most of all for YOU! You spend a lot of time and energy being the best you can be with living life with PTSD, don’t allow additional things damage how far you have come!

~Bec
“A Spouse’s Story…PTSD”

PTSD and Dissociation (Dissociative Symptoms)

I will be right up front on this one, if your loved one with PTSD does experience these symptoms, this is going to be the hardest part of PTSD to wrap your head around! You NEED to learn about this.

As I mentioned the other day, the DSM-5 has now included dissociative symptoms to PTSD. These are something that you may see in many cases of PTSD and it is important to understand them.

I want to start by saying right up front, dissociation/symptoms does not mean a person experiences the symptoms of it ALL of the time. It does NOT mean they are a bad person. It means there is indeed a "why" to things which may be happening.

Many times with PTSD people act in ways that “are not themselves” AT TIMES. Things that don't add up from the basic symptoms of PTSD. This is one of the hardest things to get your head around, so to speak. Especially when you knew that person before PTSD and what they were like, how they acted or didn’t act, their morals, etc. in comparison to now. AGAIN, this is not something that is experienced 24/7, this can happen to the most loving, caring, respected people there are, and can happen from a trigger or when they are overwhelmed, rhyme and reasons to when this may happen do not always fit with this so to speak.. it seems to normal happen during high stress situations but not limited to those times.

In all my years being around PTSD, I have heard the term “dissociated” used once in awhile and even seen it in medical reports, “dissociative symptoms”, however it’s never been explained to us and never pointed out as something to really think about or look into, it’s been one of those “just another term” used.

So I started doing more research into it. I’m by no means an expert on the topic but found it may bring a lot of understanding to others by having/knowing this information. If it was not explained to us, I’m sure there are many others that might be in the same boat.

Now, mind you, there is a lot to this and many different levels, also not everyone with PTSD may suffer with this as well. But it might be a huge light bulb to many. Again, I’m not a doctor or in any medical field… I’m just another spouse of one with PTSD. So I do advise you to do your research and talk with your doctor on this subject if you or a loved one feels this might be something you may be experiencing.

Let’s start with what “dissociation” is.

“Your sense of reality and who you are depend on your feelings, thoughts, sensations, perceptions and memories. If these become ‘disconnected’ from each other, or don’t register in your conscious mind, your sense of identity, your memories, and the way you see things around you will change. This is what happens during dissociation.” -mind.org.uk

Everyone can experience dissociation to one extreme or another. It could be something as simple as getting "lost" within a movie where you feel you are there experiencing it yourself for example, daydreaming, while driving a common route not realizing how far you have gone or what was along the way to where you are now. So this is common with everyone to some extent.

However there are more serious cases which involve one who has suffered a trauma rather it’s child abuse, a natural disaster, combat, assault, etc. All the traumas linked to PTSD.

Dissociation is a psychological term used when one suffers a mental absence from reality. Even though dissociation is not considered a mental disorder in every case, ones with PTSD as well as acute stress disorder, and conversion disorder (what Craig was originally diagnosed with) can have the symptoms of dissociation.

The human brain stores traumatic events/memories in a different way then normal memories in some cases. With dissociation, the memories are what they refer to as “split off” and can surface from time to time or triggered into consciousness without warning. Over time there are two sets of memories, normal and trauma, which parallel each other without coming together, and the person does not have control over them or when they surface. In extreme dissociation cases it can lead to multiple personalities (DID: Dissociative Identity Disorder), however again, there are different levels of dissociation and not all are to that extreme even though this seems to be very commonly related to traumatic events. And, just to note, dissociation does not mean you are crazy! It means your brain is handling things in a different way. In a way that it is “protecting” you.

Now I will say, a lot of research has been based off of childhood development (some type of trauma that happened normally before the age of 9 years old) however, there have been newer studies (2012) showing that dissociation can very well form as an adult not related to the development stage of one’s youth, due to a trauma as an adult such as combat.

Let’s jump to some of the largest subjects I see and to examples of dissociation. You know when you say "he/she isn't acting like themselves" or "why did they do that, they would have never done that"...

One thing I hear from others a lot... “He/She’s a pathological liar”

Oh there’s one of the largest misconceptions with PTSD! Which could in a lot of cases be linked to dissociation. I commonly refer to it as “filling in the blanks” when one with PTSD does not recall the truth or what really happened. So, many times will “fill in the blanks” with what they believe is real or facts. Again, this does NOT happen all of the time, it only occurs when dissociation occurs which can be random or triggered by something.

Here is what actually happens.

The difference between one that lies, because we all know there are ones that do just lie out there, and one that dissociates, is ones that dissociate believe what they are saying as the truth, the “lies” are emotionally accurate to them based on what they are feeling rather there are accurate facts involved or not.

The one that dissociates sometimes believe feelings over the actual facts, what they feel at that very moment becomes facts to them. Then when their mood changes they might very well rearrange facts to be more consistent with the way they feel. Thus leading to others viewing them as “the liar who’s story changed.”

One that truly lies, knows they lied, they know and understand what actually happened or why they lied. See the difference now?

Then comes the confrontation! When one that dissociates is faced with hard evidence of what actually took place. This relates to my saying “they will fight to their death they didn’t lie.” In truth, because to them, they didn’t! Their “truth” is based on their feelings of what they feel is real, and not always to the hard facts.

However, there is hope in these situations. If the hard evidence is enough, one can adjust their opinions and views to see the facts before them. I hate to say, with PTSD this can very well bring on the fight or flight, so watch how this is handled and handle it as calmly as possible. An example of the “twisted truth” could be money they spent and swear they didn’t spend it. But in fact there are bank or credit cards records to prove the hard facts, but in their true belief they did did not spend a dime. In this example the hard evidence might or might not appear as facts to them. If not, save it for later when they are not in a dissociative state.

I hate to say, dissociation can be very destructive to those who suffer from it as well as those close to them. Dissociation goes beyond the common errors, self-indulgent denial, or fantasy. It can be very pervasive without a logical explanation or conclusion and can harm your quality of life in many ways. Dissociation can make one appear very irrational, illogical, and cause them to shrug off important things as if they don’t exist as well as have a false reality to things that don’t exist. False memories can form, be altered, or even rearranged at any given time, dissociation also comes with memory lapses or gaps in the memory forming a sense of memory issues to appear and they can also have amnesia where nothing is remembered at all.

Some examples include:

* Telling a story multiple times, but the facts in the story changes.

* They might mirror someone’s else’s story or experience as if were their own.

* Opposite, they might view their own story or experience as if it were someone else’s.

* When confronted with facts they may ignore them or swear they are not true or real. (Such as spending money)

* They might commit an immoral or unethical act and refuse to believe they did it. (Such as cheating) When in fact it is not something in their character to do.

* They might not remember an important event which happened or other times recall/speak of something that didn’t really take place.

This all can be very frustrating or frightening to someone who lives with a person who dissociates… can you imagine how the one who does experience it feels??? I can imagine the word “lost” comes to mind.

When one is dissociating, it is hard for a loved one to have a logical argument, persuasion and reasoning will very rarely come into play. And it’s not something that they are going to just “snap out of”, just like with PTSD itself. If you refer to your loved one with the “Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde” theory, you might just have a little more then PTSD at hand. So it’s something to really think about and look into, because it is very real. In other words, they are not making this up!

Dissociation can also be a part of why people walk away from you or your loved one. It goes back to one believing you are telling lies. Stories can change and people can start not trusting what you say. They normally won’t confront you on things, they just simply stop coming around. One of the hardest things in life when in reality you both need a support system. If dissociation does come along with your PTSD, it might be best to explain it to others so your support system stays in place. It is something very difficult to understand, but very much a need to know situation.

One important thing to keep in mind. Remember that the person who experiences dissociation does not realize what they are doing when these episodes happen. As a loved one, don’t try to get back at them for what they did or said, when they are in this state don’t argue with them… agree to disagree and talk about it another time. It goes back to what we are taught… will that effect me 5 years from now, 10 years from now, is there really an urgency to discuss it right now this moment when they are not going to be able to be rational about the conversation? Sometimes you are going to be better off to address a topic later when they are not dissociative, or if not urgent just let it go!

You may also struggle with memory lapses or fragmented memory. This can play a huge toll on everyday life, work, school, and relationships. You might forget something you studied, a learned skill, appointments, etc. and also leads and adds to feelings of being disconnected form others. It can bring that feeling of floating outside of yourself wondering who that person is you are looking at, the “this is not reality” feeling. It can cause you to be confused, and can even cause you to become unsure about boundaries between yourself and others.

Like I said there is a lot more that goes with this then I could possibly write here, but this will give you a bases to start learning from and let you know that this might be a possibility in your situation. There are many different levels of dissociation from minor, even normal, to severe, and many more details.

Now, there is something different here then with PTSD itself, there have been reports showing that dissociation is or can be “curable” in many cases. So if this is something that you feel has become a part of your life, please contact your doctor and see what they feel or what they feel will help.

The whole key to me writing this boils down to “don’t jump to conclusions”! If your loved one is not acting like themselves, the person you know, then find out why! PTSD is caused by a trauma and affects one in many ways, but with that trauma might come other things as well. Dissociation is a form of “guarding” one’s self, survival so to speak, which is not controlled by them, and may very well come with PTSD.

Living with a person who has a Mental Illness/Disorder

You know everything I post has a true meaning behind it. And this one, well, this one hits the heart strings for me more then you can begin to imagine.

I am seeing a huge problem in families. I'm seeing fingers pointed and blame being placed, I'm seeing families falling apart or have huge struggles, I'm seeing things that will tear your heart to pieces.

I hope EVERY single one of you will take the time to read this, you don't have to like it, you don't have to share it... unless you choose to, but I ask that you just simply read it and really think deeply and with your heart about what I am saying.

I have some sort of communication with literally thousands of people every day. I am posting this with a great deal of knowledge, understanding, and I don't take sides... I say it with "facts on the table".

I want you to ask yourself an honest question...
"I'm I being fair with my judgments I am doing or have made?"

I know that's a very hard question to swallow. I know the tears it can bring and the hurt that can be included in facing that question, but I also know that until you face it, there's a chance you are going to cause your world and your family's world to turn upside down and then some.

There are many people, and I'm not judging anyone, facts on the table here... there are many people that are being harshly quick to judge or point fingers at their family member that suffers from a mental illness. Why? Because they do not understand it therefore do not know how to cope and live life beside it.

And I am not only referring to PTSD here. I'm talking about ANY mental disorder/illness. Bipolar, Depression, Anxiety, OCD, Dissociative Disorder, etc etc etc. ( I being N.E.guy, have PTSD, Agoraphobia, Bipolar 1, Depression, Anxiety, Mania and honestly that's just to date..)

Living beside someone who suffers from any mental disorder is hard, I will be the first one to tell you that. It's not going to be easy. There's not a quick fix or a pill to solve the problem. It's not just going to go away either. But things can get better then they are right now.

But I also know that your loved one who suffers from whatever the disorder might be, also did not ask for it! It might be something they inherited, it might be due to a trauma that happened to them, and so on. But they did not ask for it. Just as a person who fights cancer or a person who is blind or a person who has no arms or legs did not ask for that to be a part of their life, neither did one who suffers mentally.

When you chose for them to be a part of your life, didn't you choose them for a good reason? That reason has not changed. They are still that same person. You accepted them for who they are, the characteristics they have, the connection and love between the two of you...

Just because someone has a mental illness does not mean those things are lost. There are too many that are jumping to saying "this is not fair to me" or "I can't handle this anymore" or "I've been unhappy for way too long", etc. Sometimes that is a fair statement, so I won't disrespect that. However in many cases it is simply a statement because you do not understand how to cope or live life beside and with someone who suffers.

It is real easy to blame the one with the mental condition for all of the problems. I see it happen every day.

So I have to ask an honest question. Have you taken the time to look at yourself? Look in the mirror and really ask yourself "Have I REALLY tried everything?" Very rarely is an issue a one sided problem. You really have to look at the big picture and accept when you yourself might be wrong. I guarantee you the one with the mental illness is not always the one that is wrong. No one is perfect, and if you think you are then you are living in a fantasy world with blinders on.

Think about:

-How are you acting?
-How are you responding to them?
-What are you doing to help?
-Are you actually helping?
-Have you accepted their illness?
-Have you learned about their illness so you know how to live beside it?
-Have you been to therapy yourself?
-Have you yourself learned coping skills so you can handle things mental illness can bring?
-Have you received counseling together?
-Are you giving them a fair, and I mean honestly fair chance?
-Are you noticing and excepting when your loved one does or is trying to better themselves?
-Are you the one that's angry and not coping with it well?

There's a long list of questions you can ask yourself, what I said is a very short list of things to think about in honesty.

Have you stopped placing blame on the person you love and realized it's not them to place blame on? It's not them that you can blame, they did not ask for this, it's again something that happened to them. Something that was out of their control.

Have you honestly looked at yourself and said "Hey, I know they have this illness but what am I doing or maybe I'm the one not acting right or may have something wrong... or maybe I'm the one that is wrong this time."

Maybe you are overwhelmed with their illness, maybe you do suffer from anxiety, walking on eggshells, caregiver stress, and you might have developed your own symptoms from what the two of you have been through. But have you faced that might be a possibility and have you faced how to get through it... and together?

Life is yours to choose. You decide what happens to you and your family. You choose if you will stay or walk away. And those things are not things I will sit here and tell you to do or not to do. That's your choice to make. But I will ask you to look at the big picture first and make sure whatever decision you make is the right one for your situation, and there is still no guarantee it will be the right one. Life does not come with us knowing the whole story up front, there's no flipping to the end of a book to read what the ending is going to be. But I will tell you that life is not perfect and it's not a fairy tale story of white picket fences and happy everythings. Life comes with trials and errors. It's what you choose to do with them when they come that will make the difference.

Just really think about this please.

There IS still life with PTSD!

You know, each and every one of you is important! I know PTSD does not always allow you to see it, but you are. PTSD can and does make you feel worthless, a burden, like you are not a good person, like you don’t deserve love or family or friends, it can make you feel like for some reason you are being punished, like you would be better off just being alone. But you know what? That’s just PTSD talking and wanting you to believe that.

I know PTSD is not fair, you feel that it takes your life away from you… and in many ways it does. But it’s not the end. Each and every one of you that suffers from PTSD has something very special to offer the world… knowledge, understanding, humbleness, compassion, respect… the list is endless.

PTSD does indeed change you, but what can you do with that change? A lot! You just have to recognize it, see the good in things, and make the good out of it.

I know I’ve said this before, and I’m sure I will say it a thousand more times. If it were not for ALL of you, I don’t know personally where I would be. I don’t know if I would have made it through life... I don’t know if my my children would have grown the way they have secure, healthy, balanced, as well as educated on unseen disabilities… which in turn helps the future. There are many things that all of you have helped with understanding.

Each story and life that comes adds a little more education, knowledge to everything else. Different circumstances, situations, and ways of life. Nothing here is based around one single person or one situation, but instead is the big picture.

We lean on each other, help each other, turn to each other, share with each other… and the end result? Life is worth living and making it through, there’s “family” here even through the loneliest feeling times PTSD brings.

So today, focus on the good. Focus on how YOU have indeed helped someone, so if you did not know you did… then I just told you… which means you ARE worth something. Look for the good as I say it, it’s there, somewhere hidden in the shadows of PTSD, but it’s there… find it. I truly believe that everyone has a purpose in life, it might not have gone like you wanted it to, but there’s still a purpose there, don’t lose sight of that. Because we ALL need you!

Secondary PTSD

Just to note upfront, secondary PTSD is very controversial. There are many doctors who have different opinions on this topic and many people view “what” secondary PTSD is differently. I’m not a doctor or in the medical field and the following comes from my research on the subject. Secondary PTSD is a form of PTSD itself. Also, one living with a person with PTSD can also develop PTSD.

Many have asked about this, many believe they suffer from this, but… many are misdiagnosed.

Secondary PTSD has a specific set of symptoms, that many times become confused with other things which leads to a misdiagnoses. There are also things such as caregiver stress and stress related to the person’s own traumatic events which may play a huge role in this, causing one to believe or think they are experiencing secondary PTSD when in reality they may have their own PTSD.

Secondary PTSD contains many of the same symptoms as PTSD does, however, a person with secondary PTSD has not experienced the trauma their loved one did. Here’s where the difference comes with secondary PTSD.

One with secondary PTSD will experience:

* Avoidance of things, people, and places that are related to the one with PTSD’s trauma to the extent it seems like it is their own trauma.

* Have nightmares/terrors related to the one with PTSD’s trauma, but the nightmares/terrors are not from a trauma of their own.

* Anxiety, panic, uneasiness, much the same as one with PTSD but are based around issues related to the one with PTSD’s trauma and triggers, not their own.

* Irritability and mood changes and/or attention.

* Change, increase or decrease, in sleep and/or appetite.

All of these are based off of the one with PTSD’s trauma and not one you personally experienced. Ones who are caregivers or living in a home with one that suffers from PTSD can develop secondary PTSD, OR may develop/reactivate your own PTSD, however ones outside the home are less likely if any to develop it.

Secondary PTSD comes from mirroring the one with PTSD. Kind of like re-experiencing their trauma as your own. You have listened to the one with PTSD, what happened to them, details of the trauma, know their triggers, and in trying to help them avoid things which can trigger their PTSD you in a way start living their trauma as if it were your own. You start experiencing anxiety, panic attacks, etc when, say for example you hear a helicopter. The sound and vibration sets you, yourself off instead of you just being cautious of it possibly setting the one with PTSD off. Same with nightmares, this is a huge sign in my opinion of secondary PTSD, you start dreaming their trauma, you place yourself in that experience as if it were your own. Basically your brain has altered their experience(s) from what you have heard or know about the trauma, and now relates to them as if you were the one who went through the trauma.

See the difference between secondary PTSD and caregiver stress now/or your own PTSD from your own trauma? As a caregiver you can still experience the symptoms of PTSD, however you don’t “own” them, you are more cautious of/to them rather then them becoming your own.

I know someone is going to ask so I will go ahead and say it. What about me? Yes, I have personally had the words “secondary PTSD” said to me, however I do not believe I have secondary PTSD. I am cautious to his triggers and everything else that comes with his PTSD, however his PTSD has not become my own based off of his trauma. I do not experience nightmares of his trauma or get triggered myself by his triggers.

However, I do believe I most likely fall into the category (due to the additional stress that his PTSD brought before we understood what it was), of my own form of PTSD surfacing from my own past traumas (re-activated PTSD). BUT, knowing what I have learned about PTSD since that time, I am fully functioning and can maintain my own symptoms as well as know what I need to do if symptoms start. Some of the events which have happened since his PTSD has added to my own, not his fault by any means, but something that has happened, but are managed. Have I been diagnosed with PTSD, no. If it is PTSD, it's mild in comparison to others and managed.

Being knowledgeable about PTSD myself has given me the skills I need to maintain my own traumas I experienced in the past. So, when I say it’s good to hear and know both sides of the fence of PTSD, it’s pretty literally spoken.

No matter where you sit on the PTSD scale or as a caregiver or loved one to PTSD, make sure you educate yourself, work together, and communicate. I know for a fact that having knowledge can help both of you in the future and very much help you if or when your own symptoms develop… and when/if they do, your ability to manage them.

PTSD and Hyper-vigilance

This can be a VERY difficult one! You are trying to keep up a normal schedule, doing things that PTSD does not want to let you do, trying to keep up with what others expect of you, all of the symptoms that come with it. It can become overwhelming in many cases and can send one into high speed.

Sometimes you have to slow down and make sure you notice what it is doing to you... or even those around you.

But first you have to understand what might be at hand...

You may be experiencing hyper-vigilance.

This is when you may experience an increase in scanning everything around you, an increased feeling of needing to look for threats, scanning of every person, place, sound, site, smell, even human behaviors... it's an increase to the sensory sensitivity and includes behaviors forming for the purpose of detecting threats. It can lead to increased anxiety and that alone can wear you out and cause you to become tired or exhausted.

Hyper-vigilance can cause you to focus so much on possible threats that you lose connection to those around you and/or family members. It can cause you to over react to loud noises or even cause you to have difficulties falling asleep or staying asleep. It can cause you to avoid crowds or even making it out of your home.

Basically it puts you on high alert which leads to high speed.

Now the hard part. If you don't learn to control or cope with this to a certain point, it could become dangerous if the right, or should I say wrong, situation presents itself.

As an example, Driving is a common time this can happen. I'm using this example because it is the one I hear about the most, but by all means not the only time it can be experienced. I'm not saying one that suffers from this can't drive by any means, I'm just saying you have to use more caution then one that does not suffer from it. See, it causes you to watch everything and very well could sway your attention away from your actual driving, it could cause you to drive faster then you should be, or over react to things while driving. This could become dangerous to you, your passengers, as well as others on the road.

So using that example, what can you do to make the situation better?

* Pull off the road and take a few minutes to regroup so you can focus back on how you are driving.

* If you have a passenger that can also drive, consider allowing them to drive until you are in a better position to.

* Use your coping skills!

* Admit when you driving may be more then you can handle at that time. Again, it doesn't mean you can't drive, it just means right now at this moment maybe it's not the best option.

* If you know when you start to leave you are in "overdrive", don't get behind the wheel to begin with. Allow help from someone else.

* Listen and do not dismiss others if they make comments they are not comfortable with your driving at that moment. Don't get upset at them, they are trying to help and point out what you yourself might not be noticing, listen and work through it.

* Pace yourself. Don't take on more then you can handle. And family members, YOU have to let them! Don't overwhelm them with more then they can handle at that moment. Expectations can weigh huge with anything that comes with PTSD, be cautious and don't push too hard to where it increases levels in PTSD symptoms beyond what they can cope with.

Noticing the signs that you are experiencing hyper-vigilance at that moment or what someone else nicely (and I mean do it nicely) is pointing out to you, it can help save you and others from unneeded tension, hurt feelings, or even a serious situation later.

I know we have a rule, if hyper-vigilance is up then you don't get behind the wheel or you pull over and let someone else drive. And it can sure keep you out of getting a speeding ticket too. It seems that in many cases when that feeling of alert or high threat goes up, that peddle gets pushed down more then it should be. Avoiding this or learning to control/cope with this can help tremendously!

It does not make you any less of a person, it makes you a more responsible person when you handle a situation in the best interest of everyone... including yourself. So don't take it harshly. It's going to happen, it does come with PTSD, and it's just another one of those things you have to learn to cope through the best you can.

There are many situations that hypervigilance can become a part of, again my example is just one example and it's by no means limited to only that one.

PTSD vs Verbal (Abuse)

I have had quite a few people come to me lately regarding this and how I personally handle(d) it. So I want to start by reminding you I am in no way a doctor and what worked for us might not be the correct things to do in every situation.

First thing you need to know, your PTSD loved one loves you, if they didn’t they wouldn’t be there. Verbal abuse in most cases is not how they would normally have acted towards you, so they sure are NOT meaning to do this to you now!

During the times of verbal abuse, I did not have anyone to guide me, I kept trying different things and continuing to educate myself on PTSD until I found what worked for us.

Verbal abuse is very common with PTSD. I believe it happens to those closest to the one with PTSD because that is the person they trust the most, the one there with them. The person they know they can turn to, and the person they know cares about them. Also the person that they know they have always been able to be themselves around. Just to say that up front.

My belief is verbal abuse happens when PTSD is what I call “out of control”. When they do not know or understand how to cope with the feelings they are experiencing, what is going on within themselves, not being able to cope with changes, feelings, and emotions or lack of, their medications if they are taking them might be out of balance, they may not know or be using coping skills… or not using them enough when needed, which leads to the anger and frustration PTSD brings being let out on the one(s) closest to them. The fight that PTSD “needs” in order to release those feelings of anger and frustration as I say it. These also seem to be the times when many with PTSD turn to alcohol, porn, or even drugs in some cases. Anything that can “seem” to help them cope. To me, it’s a cry for help.

BUT, there is hope! These things can be controlled with time, effort, self-help, professional help, family support, and a lot of good communication!

To understand why verbal abuse is there, you have to step back and figure out what is causing it, what signs are there? This obviously isn’t the way this person would normally be towards others.

Common signs that help is needed:

* Alcohol, drug, porn increased use or not normal for them to do but they are now.
* Addiction to video games has become very common for many.
* Avoiding a loved one much more then normal.
* Constantly picking the fight.
* Being critical of little things which should not hold huge issues.
* Throwing things or even taking anger out on objects.
* Becoming physically abusive.
* Picking or looking for a fight with other people, strangers.
* Road rage.

Those are just a few examples other then the verbal abuse itself.

Verbal abuse can weigh heavily on one or even on a family. It will bring you down, cause loss of self-esteem, cause emotional issues with the person on the receiving end of it, cause conflict, etc. It can very easily end a relationship.

It took me a long time to figure out, I had to get to the root of things in order for changes to happen. Once I did figure it out, then I started trying different things until something worked for us. He was not able to cope, he wasn’t able to notice what he was doing or how he was acting/speaking, to him all of the negative things that were coming out did not exist. I had to find a way to stop PTSD and what it was bringing to us in it’s tracks so he could focus and learn to cope. I had to accept the fact that he was in a place where he could not help himself and yes, it was on me to help him. All of this was PTSD, not the true him.

Please note again, these things may not work for everyone, or you might not have a situation where you are in a position to use these, and I advise you to seek professional help and NEVER put yourself in harms way!

Our part of the story…

In the beginning I would fight back, I am not one to just take personal attacks lightly, no one I don’t care who they are speaks to me that way. But you know what, that was not working out too well! It was leading to arguments which were totally out of the norm for us. It was causing more chaos, hurt feelings, avoidance of each other, and this could not continue, it was not us!

So I tried something different, when verbal abuse would start I would sit and listen. I would not interrupt and I would not really say anything at all. And I kept in mind and forced myself not to take what was being said personally.

Just to note: This by no means, means verbal abuse is acceptable or you are suppose to just take it, it’s not acceptable and has to stop.

I would sit and honestly listen to what was coming out of his mouth. Always keeping in mind that he had never talked to me this way before, so I knew this was caused by PTSD and not his true self. I would hear the anger, frustration, and most of all I could hear and see the internal pain he was experiencing. I would just listen.

I figured out real fast this was a form of coping, even though not an acceptable way of doing so, but it lead me to knowing that he needed help. This verbal usage was a way to vent, let it all out, and with me sitting there listening and not fighting back to any personal attacks (which I knew were not how he truly felt) it would eventually bring him to a more peaceful place once he had vented, and the apologies and the “what have I done? I’m so sorry.” would start. Out of nowhere he would be “back”. Even if it took hours.

This went on for some time while the doctors worked on finding correct combinations of medications, taught him coping skills and such. He did get therapy through these times as well.

Then I found that once his anger of this had it’s break though and I could see the true him was coming through with each verbal episode, I could calmly and with a stern grip on my own feelings say “I love you, I know this is PTSD and not you. You would never treat me this way. I will not fight with PTSD, but I will talk with you.” And it opened a non attacking or confrontational door for communication to start. And we would sit there and talk for as long as he needed to.

Once this started happening then I was able to add my feelings into the conversations over time. It’s kind of like when you teach a dog something new (by no means referring to him as a dog lol), you don’t and can’t expect a dog to know a command on the first try, it takes time and many steps to teach something correctly, so they learn the command. So in a weird way, I guess I was using my training abilities and applying them to our life. See, you can’t expect a person to just stop doing something and everything change in one second, it takes time, lots of effort, and many steps to get to the outcome you are looking for or is needed.

Then came into play the coping skills. Oh this was a fun one. I heard “Those won’t work for me, that’s silly and I’m not doing them”. Okay, this is a normal reaction from someone who’s PTSD has not found a balance. So what did I do? I can tell you I didn’t fight or argue about it. I started using the coping skills myself, exactly what his doctors were teaching him and sending home worksheets with us on.

One day I was doing breathing exercises, he looked at me and said “What the heck are you doing?” I paused and calmly said “Breathing.” I continued doing the exercises. Then I heard, “Why are you doing that?” My answer again calmly, “Because they help me when I’m stressed, help me relax.” And he walked away and I continued the exercises until I completed them.

It was only a few days later I noticed him away from me and sure enough he was doing those exercises.

See, PTSD causes one to lose direction at times, it causes them to have difficulty in making decisions at times. And sometimes it just takes someone else leading the way and giving an example to follow. And it worked!

I knew that I could not take the verbal abuse, I also knew it was killing Craig that he was treating me that way and couldn’t find a way to control it. So I had to find a solution, and I did. I had to get past the words being yelled and focus on what to do to make a change, and I did. I also had to accept that it was not a quick fix and it was something that had to have a lot of will power and effort put into it, and I did. It also took him putting effort in on his part, and over time he did. It just took time to re-learn, so to speak.

Over time Craig has learned other ways of coping with anger and frustration, all the things that come with PTSD. Those feelings don’t just go away, they are still there, but he battles them and keeps control of them.

He found that when he does have those feelings surface that it helps him if he just focuses and becomes quiet. He and I talked about this as a form of coping, so we are both on the same page of what is going on and no one takes anything personally. If I see he becomes quiet, then I leave him alone and allow him his time to be quiet and cope.

He also found that if that does not work, it helps him if he sleeps, takes a nap, and when he wakes up start over as if it were a new day. And yes, the doctors have even said they approve of this since it does help him to be able to cope with his feelings and emotions.

Communication is urgent! Many have lost their communication skills with each other in all of the anger and hurt. Small steps and work on getting it back. Talk to each other, both really listen to what each other is thinking and feelings. Don’t take everything personally, accept that is how the other person is viewing or feeling right now this moment, rather it is factual or not it’s the way they are feeling or viewing things at that moment… so you can work on finding solutions to it instead of arguing. Know that nothing involving PTSD is going to be solved in one conversation or right there that moment. It is going to take time and effort. Accept the phrase “we are going to work on this” and then each day work on it. Don’t dismiss what each other is feeling, use it to move forward, use it to heal the situation. Also understand that the verbal abuse may not only be coming from the one with PTSD, if one experiences verbal abuse for any extended amount of time, they can very well become a verbal abuser themselves without realizing it. Both parties have to work together to prevent this.

If you take note of everything I’ve said here, what we have been through, and you do something to help your own situation, you might just find the verbal abuse, the arguments, and the space between you gradual heals.

I can say, Craig and I have not experienced any verbal abuse or arguments since we started doing this and had our breakthrough. Every day will continue to need steady work to keep it the way it is now, I mean let’s be real, PTSD is still at hand, but we found what works for us!

We are proof it can be done, and there is hope! Find what works for you and make sure you get professional help along with it. It will save your relationship, your children, your family!

~Bec
“A Spouse’s Story…PTSD”[/font]

We know that verbal abuse can come from one with PTSD. BUT let's put a very real twist in this.

What about the one WITH PTSD being the one verbally abused?

You know, I always say there are two side of the fence.

Don't say it doesn't happen, because I can tell you I hear about it a lot! There are many cases where a family member or one living with the person who suffers from PTSD, becomes the verbal abuser.

The family member becomes overwhelmed, every thing is placed on their shoulders, they are throwing back what has been "thrown" at them, they have reached a level of no longer coping themselves, financial matters become weighing on them, they stop seeing a ray of hope, then they are trying to understand and care for one with PTSD. There is also what many of you know as secondary PTSD, which is another form of actual PTSD itself.

OUCH!

It is urgent that in these situations the carer/family member must seek help! Living with PTSD can become overwhelming, the one with it doesn't mean for it to be, it's just the way it is in some cases or at some times.

The carer/family member has to keep a balance with themselves or it can very well lead to them being the verbal abuser towards the one with PTSD and even other people within the home. It can roll over to work or even road rage, just as it can be with the one with PTSD.

You HAVE to keep a balance! I can not say that enough! In order to care for someone else, you must make sure you are taking care of yourself. You are not going to do anyone any good if you do not try to keep a mental and physical balance within yourself.

No one that cares for one with PTSD likes verbal abuse being towards them, so don't do it back.

Things that can help caregivers/family members:

* Get professional help! There is nothing wrong with you seeking help yourself! Many times it IS needed. It gives you a professional point of view and someone to help you through what you are experiencing and feeling.

* Use the same coping skills the one with PTSD does! You would be shocked at how much they can help.

* Make sure you take "me" time. Even if it's just getting outside for a few minutes, you have to take time to yourself and time to focus off of everything weighing on you.

* Communication. Learn to sit and talk and hear each other out without judgement. You can accomplish a lot and know where each other stands if you will just take time to listen and really hear each other.

* Accept PTSD. Again, the hardest part of PTSD for either side is accepting it is real and life has changed.

* Don't blame! It is really easy when you have the world on your shoulders to turn the blame towards the one with PTSD. DON'T do this! You need to be working with them, not against them! Remember they did not ask for what happened to them!!!

* Make a plan. Making a budget, a priority to-do list, anything that needs to be included and written out so you are not overwhelmed with everything all at one time or any given day is urgent.

* Money. Money seems to be the root of all evil, especially when PTSD is involved. Do not blame or put pressure on the one with PTSD because budgets are tight. All you are doing is making the situation worse and probably causing their PTSD to become worse. Sit and talk civil about what is happening and work together to find solutions. Some people with PTSD honestly can not work, some are on disability which is to make up for them not being able to work, do not toss that fact to the side. Blame games are not going to get you anywhere and neither is the verbal abuse that can come from it.

* Do not place too many expectations on the one with PTSD. In many cases the only outcome you will receive is both of you upset and PTSD could go downhill or backslide from where they have worked hard to move forward.

* If you are overwhelmed or angry, step away from everyone and calm down. Once you are calmed down then go back and discuss whatever the topic at hand is.

* Eat right and exercise. It again goes back to take care of yourself. If you are not eating right or getting some sort of exercise you are not going to feel good, you are going to be grumpy, and anything weighing on you is going to double in size, in your eyes.

* If the one with PTSD points out how you are acting, LISTEN to them! Just because they are the one with PTSD does NOT mean they are always wrong! You might not even realize how you are acting, listen to them if they tell you! And don't lash back when they do!

Verbal abuse is not good for anyone. It causes addition complication to an already complicated situation. Learn to notice when you are overwhelmed, listen to others, and do something to prevent the verbal abuse. You HAVE to work together when PTSD is in your life. That person did not ask for PTSD so don't place blame of hard times or difficult situation on them. Work together to get through things. And bite your tongue when the nastiness of coping or being overwhelmed comes.

~Bec

We know that verbal abuse can come from one with PTSD. BUT let's put a very real twist in this.

What about the one WITH PTSD being the one verbally abused?

You know, I always say there are two side of the fence.

Don't say it doesn't happen, because I can tell you I hear about it a lot! There are many cases where a family member or one living with the person who suffers from PTSD, becomes the verbal abuser.

The family member becomes overwhelmed, every thing is placed on their shoulders, they are throwing back what has been "thrown" at them, they have reached a level of no longer coping themselves, financial matters become weighing on them, they stop seeing a ray of hope, then they are trying to understand and care for one with PTSD. There is also what many of you know as secondary PTSD, which is another form of actual PTSD itself.

OUCH!

It is urgent that in these situations the carer/family member must seek help! Living with PTSD can become overwhelming, the one with it doesn't mean for it to be, it's just the way it is in some cases or at some times.

The carer/family member has to keep a balance with themselves or it can very well lead to them being the verbal abuser towards the one with PTSD and even other people within the home. It can roll over to work or even road rage, just as it can be with the one with PTSD.

You HAVE to keep a balance! I can not say that enough! In order to care for someone else, you must make sure you are taking care of yourself. You are not going to do anyone any good if you do not try to keep a mental and physical balance within yourself.

No one that cares for one with PTSD likes verbal abuse being towards them, so don't do it back.

Things that can help caregivers/family members:

* Get professional help! There is nothing wrong with you seeking help yourself! Many times it IS needed. It gives you a professional point of view and someone to help you through what you are experiencing and feeling.

* Use the same coping skills the one with PTSD does! You would be shocked at how much they can help.

* Make sure you take "me" time. Even if it's just getting outside for a few minutes, you have to take time to yourself and time to focus off of everything weighing on you.

* Communication. Learn to sit and talk and hear each other out without judgement. You can accomplish a lot and know where each other stands if you will just take time to listen and really hear each other.

* Accept PTSD. Again, the hardest part of PTSD for either side is accepting it is real and life has changed.

* Don't blame! It is really easy when you have the world on your shoulders to turn the blame towards the one with PTSD. DON'T do this! You need to be working with them, not against them! Remember they did not ask for what happened to them!!!

* Make a plan. Making a budget, a priority to-do list, anything that needs to be included and written out so you are not overwhelmed with everything all at one time or any given day is urgent.

* Money. Money seems to be the root of all evil, especially when PTSD is involved. Do not blame or put pressure on the one with PTSD because budgets are tight. All you are doing is making the situation worse and probably causing their PTSD to become worse. Sit and talk civil about what is happening and work together to find solutions. Some people with PTSD honestly can not work, some are on disability which is to make up for them not being able to work, do not toss that fact to the side. Blame games are not going to get you anywhere and neither is the verbal abuse that can come from it.

* Do not place too many expectations on the one with PTSD. In many cases the only outcome you will receive is both of you upset and PTSD could go downhill or backslide from where they have worked hard to move forward.

* If you are overwhelmed or angry, step away from everyone and calm down. Once you are calmed down then go back and discuss whatever the topic at hand is.

* Eat right and exercise. It again goes back to take care of yourself. If you are not eating right or getting some sort of exercise you are not going to feel good, you are going to be grumpy, and anything weighing on you is going to double in size, in your eyes.

* If the one with PTSD points out how you are acting, LISTEN to them! Just because they are the one with PTSD does NOT mean they are always wrong! You might not even realize how you are acting, listen to them if they tell you! And don't lash back when they do!

Verbal abuse is not good for anyone. It causes addition complication to an already complicated situation. Learn to notice when you are overwhelmed, listen to others, and do something to prevent the verbal abuse. You HAVE to work together when PTSD is in your life. That person did not ask for PTSD so don't place blame of hard times or difficult situation on them. Work together to get through things. And bite your tongue when the nastiness of coping or being overwhelmed comes.

~Bec

Happiness.

I was asked “how do you find happiness?”

I had to think about that one, see to me, It’s something I do, so to speak. I was told I am happy over my fish (pond), that I get excited about them and smile… and talk a lot to tell about them. I’m happy when I see that something I have said helps someone else and, at times, my words helped save someone’s life. I am happy when my children enjoy life, smile and laugh. I’m happy when Alex does well with something I’ve taught him. I’m happy when I hear from an old friend that I have missed hearing from. Wow, I think I even become happy when I manage to get the yard mowed lol. And one of the largest things, I’m happy when I see Craig have a good day and/or see him smile.

I’ll be honest, I couldn’t answer this question when it was directly asked. Sitting and thinking about what makes me happy just isn’t something I sit and think about, happiness is something that I “do”… to survive.

So, I guess when sitting and thinking about the answer, I find happiness in accomplishing something. I set out to do something, even something simple or meaningless to others in many cases, and when I succeed the least little bit it makes me happy. It shows me I can still move forward, make progress, change something, make something better then it was, experience life.

PTSD changes your feelings and emotions. You battle to feel anything other then the feeling of being numb to everything. But, that doesn’t mean you can’t find your happiness, it just means you have to work harder for it, and the accomplishments you make no matter how tiny or huge, mean something great. You have to re-learn, so to speak, to accept your accomplishments. PTSD in many cases needs you to take small steps, but each step is actually huge and you need to view your accomplishment of that step instead of what you haven’t done or can no longer seem to do.

Don’t allow the negative things in life weigh you down. “Look to the good”, one of my favorite sayings. There is a lot of weight and negative things that comes with PTSD, they can get you in a “bad place” or frame of mind very easily, actually becoming “stuck” in them. But one little thing of positive can outweigh it, you just have to recognize and remember that the good things are there too and use them to find happiness.

It might be something as simple as telling a loved one “I love you”, and seeing them smile. It might be starting a hobby or project and seeing you got part of it done today. It might be something like coming out of your “safe” area a little more then normal. It might be taking a short walk around the yard. Talking to your children. Helping someone out with something, even within your own home. And at times happiness will find you, recognize and accept it when it comes, you deserve it! The list is endless to what can bring or help you find happiness. Use those things as building blocks to a larger place, a happier place.

Sending you a huge smile to start your day. DO something, even if it is a simple giving a smile to someone… you might just see a smile back, an accomplishment to finding happiness.

Latest posts

Back