7thG's Northern Lights Micro Cabinet Grow!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7thG

Victimless Criminal
Reaction score
Hello fellow MJ enthusiasts! Welcome to my Northern Lights grow journal! This will cover my entire grow, start to smoke.

I ordered 10 regular Northern Lights seeds from Nirvana. They arrived drama free exactly 10 days later. Luckily for me I also received some other things I ordered from HTG supply on the same day. My 150 watt HPS lamp, 8 outlet timed surge protector, couple of flanges and ducting, and three 25 watt CFL's.

I will be using my old 4'' Hydrofarm centrifugal fan for ventilation plus a couple computer fans to move the air inside. I will be using Foxfarm nutes. Grow space measures 18x18x36"

Please feel free to check in on my progress. Questions, comments and advice are all encouraged.

Thanks for stopping by, and now LETS START GROWING CANNABIS!

Im going to try to keep the plant as short and stocky as possible. I will be topping my plant at leasy once and will be getting pretty aggressive with some LST'ing. I'm going to try to spiral the branches around the cabinet and keep any vertical growth redirected. I figure with my light all the way up and a low profile pot I should have a reasonable amount of space. I've seen people grow in computer towers so hopefully I can pull this off.

Finished modifying my lamp and got ready to plant my seeds.

IMAG0472-001.jpg

IMAG0474-001.jpg

IMAG0478-001.jpg

IMAG0483-001.jpg

Both seeds have cracked and are in the soil. Normally I would wait until there is about 1/2" of root coming out but I decided to just plant them today. Hopefully that doesn't cause any problems. Both shells were fully cracked with a little taproot showing. I added the water bottles just as a safety precaution, I don't want my cups drying out. So now its time to sit back and watch MJ do her thing lol. Still have a lot of work to do on the ventilation but that can wait until tomorrow. :icon_smile:

IMAG0484-001.jpg

Keeping an eye on these. So far so good :) I also like to keep my seeds warm fro germing. I start with 80f water and I have a special baking croc that I use and I put it over my stove in the cabinets where it stays about 75-80f. I usually get them cracked and a little root show within 24-48hrs. I wait till they have about 1/4-1/2" tap root before putting them into the soil green grow mojo:)

Yes Hushpuppy hang around I'm gonna need some guidance I'm sure and Thanks for the Mojo I'll need it.

I'll be interested to see how pure NL does under the CFLs. NL is a slow vegger, even under hps. (slow veg kind of wipes out the short finish)

Good luck!

I did a scrog in a space that was 4' tall. I still had room left at the top of the closet. While 3' is going to be tough, it certainly is doable.

Since you started with reg seeds, I think that you should start at least 2 more. I'd hate to see you 6 weeks down the road with 2 males....

Both plants have broke the surface and look good. Added my silent computer fan for some air movement. Once I get into veg I will upgrade the ventilation. Temps seem to be staying around 85 at the top thermostat. I fired up the second bulb now that we have some green. When they get settled I'll raise the plants and put the fan on them.:icon_smile:

@THG I was thinking maybe 2 wasn't enough but I don't really have the space for 4 plants right now and I usually have pretty good luck with getting females.

IMAG0491-001.jpg

IMAG0492-001.jpg

Plants seem to be growing kinda slowly so I turned one light off added a little water and turned the fan down. Temps average 85 up top and 76-80 at the bottom but I think the cups were too cold cause the air blowing in is pretty chilly and its aimed at the cups. Im waiting for some real foliage before I aim the fan at the canopy. Having a little trouble determining when to water. Im glad I went with a 2/1 ratio of soil to perlite cause any more might have been too much the water seems to go right through. I think in about a week I might hit them with a mild solution of Big Bloom. Maybe that will help them take off. Going with 24/0 lighting. Maybe I'm being impatient I would just think at the 5 day mark I should have one set of fully developed fan leaves.

I think I'm going to take THG advice and germ a couple more seeds just in case.

What do you think is my progress ok, or do they seem to be stunted?

IMAG0493-001.jpg

IMAG0494-001.jpg

I'm glad you are starting a couple more. Even if you usually get good odds, there is no guarantee it will continue. It hurts to throw away plants, but, IMO it is worse to get 6-8 weeks down the road and have all males.

I think that they look just fine. I don't think they are stunted. I know that it can be hard to be patient, but try and be patient. I wouldn't give them anything to eat though until the cotyledon leaves start to yellow.

Green Mojo man! Try to relax and let them do their thing. If the fan is blowing cold air onto the lil' ones try putting it on a timer, or changing the flow. For your sized veg chamber sucking air through might be enough to shake the lil growers as they reach towards the light. More light is never bad with CFL's & seeds IMO. Generally hate starting ANYTHING from seed, but shoot for 10% loss rounding up lol, that way you have something to cover premie aborts and if they all go wild, then u got a few girls to train and practice on. Good luck!!

edit: oh the case fan in the box is whats blowing cold air or is there an intake fan to your box??

edit: oh the case fan in the box is whats blowing cold air or is there an intake fan to your box??[/quote]

No I haven't hooked up ventilation yet. I just have the case fan blowing air into the cabinet. Once they really get into veg I'll get serious with the fans. The air the fan is blowing in though gets pretty chilly and I noticed the cup it's aimed at the plant's stem turned purple which I'm guessing is due to the lower temps.

Now that my babies are old enough to handle some light I have them about 1 1/2'' away from the light and they are starting to speed up. They don't appear to be stretching at all anymore seems like all the growth is new green. Probably try to score a socket for my 3rd CFL tomorrow. I have been slacking on the ventilation but I don't think they could take it yet anyway, with my fan on high it drops to 70 at the bottom 80 at the top. Love having two thermometers. Did a test run with the HPS and the temp jumped up to the 90's so I'll def need to hook up my fan when I'm ready for HID's. And, I'll probably wait until then. Having issues with humidity. When I started it hung around 40 now maybe due to the cold its dipping to the 20's. I don't know what problems that could cause really but I guess it will be good in flower.

Anyway, I will be posting an update tomorrow and then after that I'll probably wait a couple weeks between updates.

Hi 7th G, just got caught up on your journal.. Green mojo for a great grow. I love your enthusiasm... It is easy to be enthusiastic for this great plant.

Enjoy your journey.

It sounds like they are beginning to take off :) I wouldn't put the fan blowing directly on the seedlings at this point if air temps are cool. I would face it just a bit above them so that there is fresh air being pulled by them. But 70f breeze won't make them too cold. Plants don't suffer from wind chill. That 70ish breeze is not a problem until it gets down to lower 60s or drops below 60f. For seedlings and developing roots, mid to upper 70s is preferred but not critical. :)

Nothing really to report other then they are moving along nicely. Finally drilled a 4" hole that I will be using to ventilate.

A little brown spot on one of my leaves though:icon_smile:

Melvan was right, NL is a slow vegger. I might look into Hydro for my next grow.

IMG_2762-001.JPG

IMG_2765-001.JPG

IMG_2766-001.JPG

yeah NL is most defently a slow lady, takes her sweet old time vegging, iv had a Sleetstack X Skunk in veg for only 5 days longer then a Northern Lights and the Sleetstack X Skunk is easly 3 times the size, its bushed out so much faster then the NL

Latest posts

Back