First time grower using ebb and grow system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gooch

Reaction score
I still have everything in packages currently.
I am working with 2 tents, and I would like to create a cycle that can consistently keep me medicated.
I have several hydro units
1- 12 pot ebb and grow system with time controlled feeding, each bucket is 3 gallons i think and my rez is 50 gallon.
1- 6 unit hyndro box which i will likely use for mothers
1 daisy cloner
I have options for nutes also
Floraseries advanced performance nutrient system
Roots organic buddah bloom/buddah grow nutes
Rooting powder
the system will be powered by 2 600 watt digital ballasts
1 240 watt led
1 250 watt floro, and many cfl's(mothers)

i run a perpetual grow with 2x400w flowering, i use 5x36w fluros for veg chamber and a bunch of cfl's only in the cloner to warm it up. i don't really grow mother plants, i just keep the genetics that i want running as clones and flower the bigger plants, this saves a me space and power that i don't really need to be using. the key in running a successful perpetual grow is to have the clones rooted timely at a good rate of success, for that you need to keep healthy moms and a good cloner with right temps and humidity and mediuum. I take clones from the plants as i put them in flowering either the same day or a week into flowering and veg them until i harvest the flowering plants then clone from the previous clones that were vegging and put the veggers in flowering and so on. it becomes quite simple as long as you got your cloning dialed

Pardon my ignorance but wouldnt a clone of a clone loose something genetically?

I have a daisy cloner, do you know anything about it? I have a humidifier, what do you use for a medium? I was looking at sure to grow
Sorry for the barrage just so many questions

i use oasis foam cubes for cloning. i heard conflicting reports of stg medium, i'm sure it is not worth its price, as i get almost 100% with much cheaper oasis foam

can you send me a link for the oasis

i buy it locally from florist shops, you should find it by google search in hydro stores

ok i googled it but i can only but them in bulk for some reason. I dont want a hundred of them lol. I will check the local store see what they have and or offer. I just watched some videos on the sure to grow, but i would like to price all the potential mediums and see whats the most effecient, clean, light, and easy to use.

on nutes for hydro, do you use organic or chemical?
I have GH flora series performance pack which has 10 different bottles and instructions on when to add what.
I think i am going to run a test cycle on Hermie seeds i got to work out the kinks before i grow my bought seeds

start your good seeds. starting with hermies is as if you were expecting to kill your plants. there is no need to assume that. you want chemical hydro ferts

well my reasoning is i spent money on the other seeds and i want to work out any newbie mistakes on something i didnt buy. The hermies were from NYC sour diesel.
I am not trying to kill the hermies i am hoping they are all females and the bud turns out awesome, but again likely running into problems due to newbie syndrom. Just like with my test dirt i am pretty sure she is not doing well i am flushing currently.
I have GH flora series erformance pack which is chemical and that is what i was going to try.

my current concerns are getting the other tent setup with the new ebb and grow system
Making sure it is working properly, getting a good medium that is light. then i will start to germinate and see how everything works out.
Since i bought this system used i think its smart to sterilize/clean it, any recommendations on cleaning supplies? Tent, buckets, drum, controller.
Also water I have town water that is around a 7 ph I was thinking of a reverse osmosis system.

Do not run unknown seeds. Bagseed could be from the plant selfing or it could have been pollinated with some stray ditch weed. This is a 4 month process and it is worth it to get quality seeds. There is also the fact that hermy seeds react very badly to stress, something that happens a lot with new growers. It IS worth it to get quality genetics, even for your first grow.

If you do have hermies and they release pollen, it can be very hard to get rid of completely for subsequent crops. There is no reason that your first crop should not be a success.

ok I will cave into the peer pressure :dancing: and use my purchased seeds which are feminized. But i am not understanding how to take it from a seed into the hydro system, i see alot of plugs for clones, but not alot of seed pods

ok I will cave into the peer pressure :dancing: and use my purchased seeds which are feminized. But i am not understanding how to take it from a seed into the hydro system, i see alot of plugs for clones, but not alot of seed pods

You took the right decision. growing a plant requires patience, and if you did it good, it would suck to not have a decent harvest, only because of bad genetics.
If I understand it correctly, you have and ebb and flow system with what, hydroton as medium? if you are using oasis cubes or stg or rockwool, the cubes can be transplanted straight into hydroton. if you are using something that needs a pot or container to hold, you can seed them in netpots and transplant that. after transplanting, you just need to make sure that the water level reaches the cube or netpot when you flood. I have a couple of pics one for a clone and another for spinach seeds that were started in oasis

View attachment 20150630_212940.jpg

View attachment 20150501_005646.jpg

I have not chosen a medium yet, I looking for lightweight, and clean so I will probably go with STG, and stg makes a clone insert but i did not find a seedling starter. The STG has a 1 1/2" square hole that the clone starter plugs into.

You can use rapid rooters or rockwool cubes to start your seeds and then just put that into your medium.

What is STG?

yeah stg is probably good but pricey, it is white so makes more algae growth, there is no magic medium, if you put stg in cold dry conditions, you would end up in low rates, and if you put soil rockwool oasis peat etc.. in warm humid cloner, you will end with good results jmo

Latest posts

Back