Let's make cannamels! (with bonus chocolate ganache recipe)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The heart is most easily accessed via the stomach < 3

Ganache is REALLY easy to make, and IMVHO if you are just getting into medibles, it's about the easiest place to start.

I don't use a traditional double boiler because I have a hard time getting a whisk into the corner of the upper pan. I have a zabaglione pan which is basically a deep round bottom copper mixing bowl with a long handle, and couldn't find it yesterday, so I just used a mixing bowl set over a saucepan of hot water. By hot, I mean just below a simmer.

You can either use green butter or green heavy cream, or both. There are multiple ways to skin this cat.

Ganache ALWAYS contains cream, and SOMETIMES contains butter. The butter is the smallest proportion in any ganache recipe.

Texture depends on the ratio of chocolate : cream : butter.

I will post a chart of ratios as an image later, plus the actual recipe I used, and some notes.

Use bittersweet / dark chocolate if possible. I ran out and only had chocolate chips. But you should look for a minimum of 60% cacao in your chocolate.

The first step is letting all your ingredients come to room temperature. While you wait, get your pan of water to a simmer them turn down the heat til the simmering subsides.

Melt the butter with the cream and whisk together. Don't worry that some of the oil won't fully incorporate.

Put in the chocolate and whisk until smooth.

If you want cubes, line a pan with parchment, pour in, then quickly chill.

If you're making balls (truffles), leave it in the mixing bowl and chill, then scoop out with a melon baller and drop into a bowl of cocoa powder or coconut flakes.

Store in the fridge or freezer.

20191209_145805.jpg
so here we have a collection of ratios for various styles of ganache, and yes there's one for white chocolate for any zombies and vampires and subterranean blind cave fish in the audience.
The more chocolate, and the higher % cacao in the chocolate, the stuffed it will set. The more cream, the softer and more suitable for using as a frosting. The more butter, the harder it is to form into balls without melting from your hot little hands.

I used a ratio of two parts chocolate chips (already off to a bad start!) to one part heavy cream and one part green butter. Usually I use bittersweet or even baking chocolate. I don't like sweets; I'll happily munch on a Bakers Block! And the finished texture is best with the dark stuff.

If I make these again with chocolate chips I'll up that portion to 3 : 1 : 1 instead of 2 : 1 : 1. But i just need to go to the grocery store instead lol.

Ingredients for a batch:
2 cups bittersweet chocolate
1 cup butter
1 cup cream

In your improvised double boiler, melt the butter, whisk in the cream, whisk in the chocolate pieces, whisk briskly until melted and shiny, then add a teaspoon of vanilla or almond extract. Remove from heat.

If you have a pan of brownies or cake that need frosting, just pour the melted ganache over it. This recipe will make about a 1/4" thick layer on at least 3 standard 10" springform pans. Try it on cheesecake. Or a flourless chocolate torte. You can put it in a piping bag and decorate with it. You can make cookie sammiches out of it. You can even eat it with a spoon because you're impatient, like me.

That's literally all there is to it.

As a cube or ball, they are REALLY sticky and need to be coated in something dry like coconut, cocoa powder, smashed nuts, or decorating sugar. Just put the dry powder in a bowl and roll/shake the nuggets around until coated.

Latest posts

Back