Marijuana surveillance helicopter suffers engine failure, damaged in forced landing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
A helicopter used by local officials for aerial surveillance of illegal marijuana gardens was damaged in a forced landing last week after it had an engine failure during a training flight.

Capt. James Bauman of the Lake County Sheriff's Office reported Tuesday that no one was injured when the helicopter landed in an open meadow on Cow Mountain – about seven miles northwest of Lakeport – at about 3 p.m. June 25.

The Robinson R-44, owned by Cutting Edge Helicopters out of Sacramento, is used in ongoing aerial surveillance of illegal marijuana grows. Bauman said the helicopter was “substantially damaged” in the landing.

The helicopter crew – including Lt. Dave Garzoli of the sheriff’s Major Crimes Unit, who was undergoing flight instruction, and a company pilot who also is a certified flight instructor – had spent the morning conducting aerial surveillance over Lake County and were returning to Lakeport on a training flight after refueling in Ukiah, Bauman said.

During the training flight, the crew was simulating an emergency 180-degree autorotation and power recovery procedure at an altitude of about 500 feet over Cow Mountain when Bauman said they experienced an engine failure.

When attempts to recover engine power failed, the crew committed to a forced landing and, due to the lack of RPMs, the main rotor blades impacted the helicopter’s tail boom as the craft touched the ground, which Bauman said caused the damage.

Bauman said there was no property damage other than to the helicopter. The cause of the engine failure is being investigated by the National Transportation Safety Board and Cutting Edge Helicopters.

In April the Board of Supervisors unanimously approved an agreement with Cutting Edge Helicopters to rent its equipment for marijuana surveillance activities.

In the agreement, Cutting Edge receives $490 an hour, according to minutes from the April 14 Board of Supervisors meeting.

At that time the board also approved helicopter lease agreements with PJ Helicopters and A&P Helicopters for rates of $700 and $750, respectively, as Lake County News has reported.

hxxp://shuurl.com/K5533

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they find a bullet hole in that thing. Some big time guerilla growers don't play nice when leo cruises over their cash crop.

i guess the doughnuts falling out acted like an airbag

420benny said:
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they find a bullet hole in that thing. Some big time guerilla growers don't play nice when leo cruises over their cash crop.

now that would be funny if an update was made an that was it man., lol
but honestly i highly doubt they'd make that public knowledge if it were the case. if i wer them i'd be too embarrased if i got shot at by a grower an went down while tryin to look for grows. LMAO

$750 an hour? Boys, were all in the wrong line of business. Good thing there's plenty of dough in the state coffers to cover such a lavish expence.:hubba:

During the training flight, the crew was simulating an emergency 180-degree autorotation and power recovery procedure at an altitude of about 500 feet over Cow Mountain when Bauman said they experienced an engine failure.

But truthfully they were unaware of the drunken long haired country boys out pheasant huntin...."$50 bucks to the one that bags that one"

and as paul harvey would say "thats the rest of the story" :p

maybe some voodoo magic to the helicopter =) who knows

Good thing there's plenty of dough in the state coffers to cover such a lavish expence
..here here!...

nvthis said:
$750 an hour? Boys, were all in the wrong line of business. Good thing there's plenty of dough in the state coffers to cover such a lavish expence.:hubba:

That'd be turbine for sure. R44's are piston helo's, and don't actually fly; they are so ugly the earth repels them; especially full of bacon.

I hope no innocent squirrels eagles bears or beavers were murdered

I can just see it now. Your a deer grazing ... making love with your favorite deer girlfriend and suddenly ... you look up just before you... r .. head is sliced off from falling helicopter blades.. you have 6 seconds as your antlered head begins to spin....

The last thing, after the blades, to go through your fading mind is

"I'M JUST AN INNOCENT BYSTANDER!"

im glad noone got hurt but it sounds like a pilot error. they crashed while doing a simulated power loss where they have to autorotate to soften the landing. doing this at 500ft doesnt leave much room for mistakes and the pilot screwed up and let his rps get to low which lead to a crash on cow mountian.

i guess they thought it was Cash Cow mountian.

speaking of piloting a falling aircraft with no engine down from 2,00o feet or pedaling a non responding with not any oil pressure tail rotor starts spinning and you slam that right rudder around but it don't go and you continue to spin.

Latest posts

Back