Mh/hps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mindtrip

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've finally got my seedlings going and my light set up (THG recommended [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-GLK600GW19-Digital-Dimmable/dp/B004L3AQ1U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425645379&sr=8-1&keywords=apollo+horticulture+600+watt[/ame] so that's what I got).

Everything I've seen recommends using the MH for vegging; I turned it on and it heats up BIG TIME. The HPS puts off a lot less heat. Is there any problem with using just the HPS and totally ignoring the MH bulb?

Noob question, I'm sure. But as I've sought and found help before, so I do again. Thanks in advance, and thanks to everyone for helping me get this far.

Odd, the MH should be slightly "cooler" than the HPS in my experience. Also, you don't have an air cooled hood, so things are certainly going to warm up.

One thing I want to make SURE you take note of. Never get your fingers on the lightbulbs! They literally could heat up the oil from your skin and the bulbs can explode! I use vinyl gloves, and a paper towel to wipe the bulb before and after I put it on.

The MH will give you much better vegging results, so if you have it I would use the MH over the HPS to veg, any day of the week.
:aok:

HPS will provide more lumens per watt but it will also be in a Blooming spectrum and not a Vegging one. Many of us have used HPS for both Veg and Flower but it is not ideal for Veg. IMO HO T5's are your best Veg option.

Yes, MH will run hotter. Tell us about your ventilati0n. HID lights do need a good exhaust system.

I also like T5s, but for a new grower just starting out, the expense of both lights is often a hardship what with everything else one has to buy. So, I do often recommend the MH/HPS package. As both of my T5s are being used, I am running a 400W MH in a 32" x 32" tent now. It all gets down to having the right ventilation set up.

Thank you all, I'll continue with the MH. As far as not touching the bulb, I'm fully aware, but thank you. I work on cars and have seen many a FNG install a headlight bulb without gloves (or proper care) and waste money.

THG, my ventilation could be better. I rent, so I can't modify my building (much). My grow is in a walk-in closet. The door is wide open and I have two fans circulating air - one in the closet, and another near the door.

You need a proper exhaust fan in your space. Two oscillating fans just won't do the job. You need something like this: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Active-Air-inch--Line/dp/B002JQ14F8/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1425744955&sr=8-15&keywords=6%22+exhaust+fan[/ame] I recommend that you either go to a place like Habitat for Humanity Restore and buy a door that you can cut holes in. Or get a tent. Either way you need a good quality exhaust fan. do not get a duct booster fan. They are cheaper, but as they do not work well, it would be money ill spent.

Thanks, THG. The more I look at the long-term, the more I realize that a tent is probably the best way to go. I think I'll be ordering one (and an exhaust fan/filter) today so that it can get here long before flowering time.

Tents work well. I use a 4x4 Secret Jardin.
I would also get a 6" Vortex Fan, carbon filter, speed controller, and an old door for the closet.

pcduck, thank you. Do you think there will be any need for a replacement door if I contain everything in the tent and can keep the closet door open?

Not if you can keep the door always open. But fan noise and bright lights sort of perks ones curiosity when they hear or see it.

A decent tent should be lightproof, correct? I'm looking at an Apollo Horticulture tent. The fan noise is a slight concern, but not too bad. My only real concern is odor (but the carbon filter would address that).

Tents are nearly light proof but not completely.
Plus you do need to open the tent. If I do not close my door the adjoining room gets bathed in light along with any windows.

Thanks for the input. I'll see what I can do.

Alright, I've got these ordered:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/VenTech-IF6CF620-Inline-Virgin-Charcoal/dp/B0052ZPMAG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1425841380&sr=8-8&keywords=ventech+fan[/ame]
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-Hydroponic-Indoor-Growing/dp/B00H9OJHYA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1425841400&sr=8-3&keywords=apollo+grow+tent[/ame]

They ought to be here in about a week. My plants are still seedlings, so I should be fine until then.

Latest posts

Back