My Apples, an apt post

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HippyInEngland

Smoke Free Zone.
Reaction score
Apple
Malus domestica Discovery

Discovery apple was raised about 1949 by a farm worker called Dummer of Langham, Essex, UK from a Worcester Pearmain crossed possibly with a Beauty of Bath. The story is that Dummer had raised a number of Worcester Pearmain seedlings and chose the best one to plant in his garden. As he only had one arm, he needed assistance from his wife. But she broke her ankle and as a result the seedling was left for weeks simply covered by sacking. However, it survived and grew into a tree which produced good quality fruit which kept longer than most very early apples and unlike others did not drop. The tree came to the attention of the nurseryman Jack Matthews of Thurston, Suffolk who bought grafts and marketed the variety under the name Thurston August. It was renamed Discovery in 1962. It has now become the main early commercial variety in the UK.

Medium sized, flat-round fruit. Bright scarlet flush over a pale greenish yellow skin speckled with small russet dots. Attractive looking. Creamy white flesh often stained pink under the skin. Crisp and juicy. Quite good, distinctive, slightly sharp flavour. Keeps very well for such an early variety. As with all apples, one bad apple at the top of the pile will ruin all apples below it if not removed.

Moderately vigorous tree. Partial tip bearer. Good disease and frost resistance. Slow to come into bearing but crops heavily once mature.

This apple originated from where my grandparents grew up.

Hippy

Discovery.jpg

Its kinds neat to get some info on the apple. or should I say history. Thats how we all learn. Good post

i little history good story apples are the bomb of the fruit world , untill these .. LOL lmao cool history of that appletree and grandparents :D :D :D :D

Look in the background to the left top, do you see her?

Hippy

Latest posts

Back