Raising Awareness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snuggles

I was there...he inhaled
Reaction score
OK just wanted to start this thread. The purpose is too brainstorm on how we can safely raise awareness for MM. I want to hear what kind of ideas you guys have and then maybe we can start to work on some of them.

I'll go first, flyers, though not completely legal and you probably won't get permission if you do ask but good old fashioned flyers on telephone poles. I did this with a friend recently, not the smartest idea I ever had but check this out. The flyers were removed and a local county rag talked about it in their Police Beat section. Here's the catch, they printed in the paper exactly what the flyers said...they helped spread the message. Maybe whoever wrote it is pro MM or maybe they just messed up.

BTW the flyers didn't link to any site or give out any personal info...they simply stated " I am medicine please let me do my job" with a pic of the MM leaf and cross.

Any college students? You guys could do a lot and still earn your grades. Let's say you get a project, like we all did, to write a paper, as long as MM fits into the criteria for the paper write it. Also you guys know who smokes up there, get involved get them involved. In my mind awareness is one of the keys to decriminalization.

If we educate people and make sure it's in their face, not shoved of course, people tend to pay attention whether they realize it or not.....ignorance is what we are fighting. If we educate the ignorant the gov't lost one of it's weapons.....they can only lie for so long.

Also everyone has a job and or hobbies, think what could you do with these....nothing to get you fired though. But as an example I do branding and design for the web and print. I own a canvas printer, which means I can print off banners and signage WITHOUT anyone else knowing. Also I could build a web site to raise awareness. I could make Tee shirts, flyers, bumper stickers, anything really. Point is to put it out there.

Once again I'm not asking or advising anyone to do anything that would endanger themselves or others we need to respect people, this also goes along way towards the cause. Imagine for a moment your grand mother (I know but it's just an example of someone from a different generation), now if someone like me tried to approach her she might not like me or what I have to say. But imagine a clean cut lawyer, doctor, a sweet college girl, a CEO or just anyone who seems not threatening and speaks nicely and properly, dresses respectfully and shows respect you're gonna have some people listen.

Also tell people about norml.org, but don't act like you are working for them, that would be wrong, also don't attach their name to anything you may print up without their permission that's also wrong.

If you do talk to people approach them in a nice way and don't harass them just say thank you and have a nice day.

Come on you guys have to have some ideas, not trying to be condesending but we need more activity here in the MM section, it's important.

Hasn't anyone every heard that ignorance kills or the pen is mightier than the sword or knowledge is power.

I would also be curious to see if there are any forums where anti and pro MM can get together and debate. Just imagine if they did hold public debates, people with knowledge would blow the establishment right out of the water, the gov't doesn't lie very well and the it's bad for you and it's addictive is only go to fly for so long. It's about time the establishment changes up their lies BTW they're getting stale LOL.

And don't be afraid to pipe up, I don't care how dumb you think the idea is POST IT, you never know.

I forgot one of the most important things talk to your friends and if you can your family, just keep in mind they might not agree but I talked to my family and I have like a half half reaction but still awareness like many many things starts at home.

* A little off topic but my friend has a 12 year old, she has informed the school that her son is not to sit in or participate in any DARE events AT ALL. She told them she will talk to her son about drugs and the drug war, she thinks teaching kids the dangers of drugs is good but not their whole message...which is pot is bad, people who use are bad/criminal. She said she took a lot of heat for it but I can respect her decision. She is right, the propaganda starts in school, we all know that. In fact I have been told that at certain DARE assemblies there have even been speakers who encourage children to tell them if they know someone using or selling drugs, IMO this is wrong you can't use children like this, they don't understand the consequences and it's dangerous. JUST END THE WAR...you guys started it, and all the violence and crime that goes with it not us the citizen but you the powers that be, you have the power to make things safer for us all even LEO, and to change the way people look at this plant, it's medicine for god's sake...don't you guys have family, don't you love your mom's, change the laws and do it soon, THE DRUG WAR is killing people and messing kids up. It's something we all need to promote at all times. END THE WAR ON DRUGS it doesn't work and it's causing a war to be waged on the very citizens that are part of your country. Everytime a kid gets killed due to random drug violence of course the shooter is guilty but so is the gov't. THEY NEED TO BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR EVERY VIOLENT DEATH. MJ has never killed anyone but the enforcement of the MJ laws has, I ask you this. Is this what we call protection? Is this what we call compassion? Know this is what I call a dirty greedy lie that kills and ruins the social fabric of our country.

Yo Ho there snuggles,

I can very well understand your passion for change, and I agree. There are many that would take a stand, but fear to do so simply cause it points a finger right back at the one making the stand. Once you start drawing attention, then you have done yourself a mischief. Like the old saying, "The squeeky wheel usually gets greased". That saying has a lot more to it than what you might think.

Consider this, You wear a bold t-shirt downtown that has pot all over it in pics or words. Everyone see's you wearing it. Now if you could get everyone that saw you to admit honestly if they thought that you smoked pot, the over whelming majority would say, "Yeah, I think he is a smoker". That will include everyone and even Leo's, next thing you know is it's a surprise visit to your home, and someone is looking too close. You just threw your privacy out the window.

This is all part and parcel with a war bro. This IS a war, and it needs to be fought, But it is the type of war where we do nothing that is outside of the bounds of peace. WE do no harm.

Joining groups such as NORML offers a bit more protection, but it doesn't protect you from coming under scrutiny. The best way to wage this war is to be clean, (nothing to get busted over). That way there is nothing that you risk losing. Do it in your way of doing things, but get it underway right ?
You might consider this also,

Henry David Thoreau wrote this, and it is a good thing to remember when we wish to under take a challenge.

"Why should we be in such desperate haste to succeed and in such desperate enterprises? If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Each person should do what they can even if it amounts to little more than licking a stamp, but be safe and secure.
You should read some Walden my friend, I see a lot that you have in common.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

Good stuff Kahuuna. I agree. Everyone does their own little part in it. Just my thoughts. I applaud you for wanting to make a change. Keep up the great work. Take care and be safe.

Yep and I agree, I'm not saying to wear the shirt when you doing whatever it is to promote the cause. But in my mind this has been going on since a certain president introduced The Drug War, and I'm sure a lot of the younger people don't even know that in the late 60's and early 70's that MJ almost became legal. A majority of his advisors told him there was no reason to keep it illegal, and he turned around and started the DEA. Since the early 70's look at the numbers, the DEA has more power than ever and we are right were we started STILL. I'm also trying to encourage legal things like norml.org, writing papers, wearing shirts, anything to keep the pressure on. Marching in for the cause, which everyone should be doing. At the march I always dress appropriately, no MJ shirts, and I smoke nothing and have nothing on me. I keep my eyes forward and avoid confrontation, it's too send a message that's all. Just send the message, you do have a good point though about them poking around, be discreet and yeah if you aren't growing you are better off but I challenge them to follow me home and find my grow LOL, ahead of you there...they won't find anything here except for some papers not even MJ. I do read a bit KK and I get what you are saying, this is what I was trying to say about respect and not hurting anyone. But if we continue the way we are, nothing is going to change. This is a health issue in my eyes first and foremost, and I think we need to educate and raise awareness not perpetuate or take part in the war, turn the other cheek in a way. Do it the right way which is no violence and no hurting or disrespecting anyone. And I know a lot of people are scared, I am who isn't but learning and trying to spread awareness is OK in my mind, you're lettig them take away your basic rights and they didn't even have to pass a bill to do it. Freedom of speech is a right we have, and we are taking it away from ourselves.....and from the people that need us to stand up for them. There are many people that need our help, it leaves many in a tight spot. If we do nothing what does it say? And I understand the walking to a different drummer, it's all good but the beat they walk to is violent wastes money and is causing the MMers to suffer. Many people look at the drug war like it's a required thing, they don't pay enough attention to know the thruth, which is MJ use has increased 5500% since it was made illegal. The amount of money we waste on the WAR could be used elsewhere, without getting political does anyone realize the latest education statistics, 35% drop out rate and going strong. 14 states have MM, all 14 states have to fear one thing...FED GOV'T. We have to keep the pressure on just like they do. I understand if you have a family I wouldn't do anything then cause of the laws but talking to your friends and family is not bad, you all sit around and talk politics anyway and at the end of the night you're still friends. I got 4 of my friends to become members or norml.org this way, and out of my friends I'm the only stoner.

I agree and disagree with you, that's why I like it here. Everyone is cool, we have guys who speak from the heart and we have wise men like you to make sure we reign ourselves in, we compliment one another whether you believe it or not. And you hit on something without realizing it, the law and them singling us out. Does anyone really know the laws? That's part of awareness. I'm talking a lot about MM and not legaliztaion too I see a difference one is for personal liberty one is for MEDICINE and help with people who suffer. So if you are scared pick a subject like drug laws and make people aware of them, like the conspiracy laws. Compare it from a health standpoint, like MJ vs. alcohol vs. cigs, why is cocaine considered a drug with medicinal qualities and MJ not. What is hemp and how did it help this country, why was it the first billion dollar business in the US. What are cannabinoids, what are Terpenes, stuff like that.

Thanks KK, words of wisdom from the man himself.

In fact can anyone tell me what cannabinids are? or terpenes? If so could you explain them if you had too? This is a way of raisng awareness to.

Look at Mycrene and then tell me if you see where I'm getting. Limonene? Borneol?

Each person should do what they can even if it amounts to little more than licking a stamp, but be safe and secure.
You should read some Walden my friend, I see a lot that you have in common.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

And I agree with this too. And as for norml.org I was mentioning them for protection but to keep them supported in what they do, did you guys know they have a whole section of templated mterial to send to your politicians, and it's safe. They don't spread your data around. Or they have a huge MM section, a huge law section, and a section on being active and what you can do. And KK they give the same advice as you, anything you could do, even lick a stamp is fine. I my mind there are different ways and different people and it's all good. Norml.org is good stuff, they raise awareness and have been around and going strong since 1972, they are doing something right IMO.

And this is a brainstorming thread say what's on your mind whatever it may be, pro or con it's the only way to figure out our differences and go from there you know?

Latest posts

Back