All Plants came from dirt, to hydro.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still staying out of that light for ya Kade? If they start burning or something, how about a few well placed strings to kind of 'part the middle'? I don't know that much about scrogs, but I think it might be pretty tough to get a screen in there now. I've heard of quite a few that will 'break a neck' every now and then to slow them down. Just trying to offer a few suggestions....thanks for keeping us updated and for the pics:).

They won't grow into the light... but they'll sure grow around it... there are maybe 2 leaves that have the edges a lil crispy... but nothing serious... I had to put my light up a lil bit today tho.. I was worried the fan might blow a leaf onto the light...

DOES ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH SCROG GROWS!?

Last time I was at the hydro store, about 4 days ago, I had a long conversation about the SCROG approach. the store actually has these things that can clip on to hydro systems that are plastic for the training. As far as the conversation went, you just have to be very hands-on. Every day you have to re-route the direction the growth is going, to keep all of the new growth 'under' the plastic screen. Like when I was training a plant in my last grow to go around the edge of the circle pot I was using.....just train every branch the direction you want it to go, and watch for new secondary growth.

Okay, thas what I figured... so then u just let the bud grow through? or can it stay underneath as well?

KADE said:
Okay, thas what I figured... so then u just let the bud grow through? or can it stay underneath as well?

That would depend on the distance from the light, and I would think that you wouldn't want to mess with the buds themselves after a certain point.

Couple SCROG links I found with good pics...Merry Christmas Kade:)

http://www.mjp.com/ic/showthread.php?t=45257&highlight=scrog
http://www.mjp.com/ic/showthread.php?t=24013

Hey Kade, what's up?

Looking good so far my friend. The stretch you may be stuck with lol.. a certain amount is just going to come. Good luck! You be breathing easier once she starts slowing down.

If you have the horizontal space, training will help you lower that canopy and encourage side branching. While I think SCROG has it's benefits (particularly maximizing use of space), it also has some drawbacks.

(1) Those screens are pretty immobile once the plant is trained into it. If you have to lift up your plants you're in trouble.

(2) Most SCROGS are flat, which is not the way light falls off. If you can imagine light intensity, it's greatest at the center and falls off at the edges. So truly flat by light standards would be a concave pattern (highest at the edges)

That being said, I followed a few of those links and lo and behold saw this;

http://www.mjp.com/gallery/data/500/10160P1170008-thumb.JPG

Suhweet! :banana:

What I've liked doing is using a training stick/dowel method (weighted at the bottom). They're mobile, very adjustable, and the best benefit is you can completely unhook them and rehook up back in about a 1/2 hour. Also you can train your plant in the pattern I described.

BTW, in my experience the time you spend training is minimal in either a SCROG or a LST/Training stick method, you just have to be consistent (give a little every day).

Makes perfect sense, I've also seen the giant full circle, rotating systems that use the light in the center of it all.

Yeah I tried moving my main tops... the smallest one is just under 1/2 inch thick... it isn't happening... LOL I let them go too long... the light can still go up 5-6 more inches... after that the legs on the table will be sawed off...

I chopped the table legs off today... I couldn't take the closeness to the light... hopefully that'll give me enough room or i'm FUBARED... I dunno what i'll do after that.. unless I buy a new bulb and cooltube type reflector or somethin.
Also gave the ladies another dose of monster bloom... they are takin it like a pro! I'm watchin for burn... but so far been almost a day and nothing.

Ok caribbean_smoker_20 here are some pics of a dwc I setup rite quick rite outta the box from walmart.

Here is the air pump - $13
01.jpg

Here just shows the airline going into the container - $3.34... it had a hole in the handle.. so i just fed it through.
08.jpg

Here shows the bubbles the airstones make.. u can see the gangvalve here floating too.. i like to have a couple airstones scattered around the bottom so a gangvalve is a must. Gangvalve+hosing+bendable airstones - $15
03.jpg

Here shows the roots starting out of one block... i transplanted this 3 days ago from a starter cube into the 4" rockwool. Shows how quick lil ones grow in a hydro environment... and for a cheap $30 system.. not bad.
04.jpg

This one shows the top of the container.. i had a 3" hole saw and cut it out.. you could easily use a dremel or a sharp knife to do the same.
05.jpg

Just some lil ones I dont have space for.. but need to be found space soon or risk gettin chucked. Notice the yellowing? I didn't have enough light until recently... they'll use up the energy stored in the leaves.
06.jpg

And for the rest of you picture ppl... my main grow. Just over half done flowering... the next couple weeks are where the pounds pound on.
07.jpg 02.jpg

So I spent the entire day putting some insulation on the walls... then plastic to seal the place 100%, then mylar... I didn't get it completely done... but 3/4... the plants and lighting make the last bit damn near impossible... so I'll wait till the grow is over and put it up during my cleaning week.

Here shows some of the plastic/tape I have under the mylar. Seals the room 100%... besides the intake/exhaust.. which are both active carbon filtered.
01.jpg

Here are a couple of some of the mylar in the new flower room. I went and bought a 50' roll the other day... 2 mil stuff, nice and tough. Instantly saw a dramatic difference in light volume.
04.jpg 05.jpg

Here are some of the budding action. Next couple weeks bring on the real weight.
03.jpg 06.jpg 07.jpg

And here are a couple of one of the girls for you crystal junkies.
02.jpg 08.jpg

Looking very good Kade! Rapid flowering but still looks very green. Good job.

The Skunk#1 I have for some reason gets done at day 50 usually. I might let it go a week longer to see how much more it progresses... in weight and ripeness.

Everything is looking great KADE. How is the smell on that Skunk#1 lady?

Smells nice and fruity... with a touch of a skunky smell.

KADE said:
Here are some updated pics, got their first dose of bloom nutes. Starting to show some good hairs.

View attachment 13887 View attachment 13888
View attachment 13889 View attachment 13890

hey kade, if you could download "The Seeds is Snitches" (i don't know the vid's real name as it was edited out by someone). I got it off of Limewire, utube.com might have it. Anyway it's a video by THC Labs on indoor growing. They have one side of the room with a HPS light and no reflector, and another side with an HPS light and an reflector. The difference was huge. Do you have mylar or something helping to beam down more lumens?

motame said:
hey kade, if you could download "The Seeds is Snitches" (i don't know the vid's real name as it was edited out by someone). I got it off of Limewire, utube.com might have it. Anyway it's a video by THC Labs on indoor growing. They have one side of the room with a HPS light and no reflector, and another side with an HPS light and an reflector. The difference was huge. Do you have mylar or something helping to beam down more lumens?

Well, yeah. I have a 4 foot parabolic reflector. Although I'm thinkin about trading up for a ventable hood after this grow.

Latest posts

Back