LED Light Test

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

100percent

Hey all, this is my first post in this forum (not counting the intro).

I have five plants in my closet. I live in sunny CA and it's summer, and I don't pay the power bill so I can't use high wattage lights. So for the time being I'm restricted to fluorescent bulbs and LEDs.

You all might know that the colored LEDs emit within a small range of wavelengths, that NASA uses them to grow lettuce, etc etc. But they're also expensive relative to the fluorescent bulbs. If money isn't necessarily your limiting factor but you have to keep your wattage and heat down, and you're running a relatively small operation, then LEDs are worth it.

I have a few fluorescent bulbs in my closet and I decided to buy one of those 1'x1' red/blue LED assemblages to see how well they work. I spread out my bulbs relatively evenly and put the LEDs above some flowers. Conclusion: The flowers underneath the LED panel are bigger, bulkier, and seem to have more THC on them than the other flowers. Some of them are probably heavier than the colas.

But to really see how effective they are I slanted my LEDs about a week ago. The flower situated right in between a fluorescent and the LED panel is what I was watching. In about one week, give or take a couple days, I was able to see differential growth rates. That is, the side that got red/blue light grew out a little more than the fluorescent side.

This isn't scientific at all because there are probably numerous reasons that someone can object to why one side got a little fatter. At the very least, one can say that LEDs (as long as you also have fluorescents) act as another good light/energy source that's on par with fluorescents. At the very most, one can say that LEDs have a noticeable impact on growth, yielding bigger flowers.

Maybe this isn't news to anyone but I've often wondered how much of an effect LEDs have and if they're worth it. I think they are. Maybe if I find time I'll post up pictures comparing flowers, only-fluorescent vs mostly-LED with ambient fluorescent light.

I've attached four pictures. The first one puts things in context. You can sort of see the fluorescent bulb. The second is a close-up of the flower. The part that bulges out is the lower, right-hand side. The third is the same one but I've added vertical lines. I feel like I should move the lines a bit to the right, either because I haven't centered it correctly or because my flower really is assymetric (which shows the LEDs' effect). The last is just another shot from a slightly different angle to show the bulge a little better.

Once again, this isn't scientific and I've only shown you one flower. Don't take too much from this. ENJOY! :D

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

100percent said:
At the very least, one can say that LEDs (as long as you also have fluorescents) act as another good light/energy source that's on par with fluorescents.

That's the key....using ONLY the Red and Blue LEDs will lead to disappointment.

By the way, how many watts is the LED panel?

Another question: What would be the results if you added another CFL instead of the LED panel?

One thing I noticed with LEDs is that the buds have more trichs, BUT they are less potent.....

Damn, I need to get my experiments going again. Unfortunately, I can't grow for the rest of the year. :eek:

im suprised if thats true for nasa to grow lettec. with just light leds i see u got big light leds lol but what makes u to have the needs to use flo lights? u know hps is high press sod. so thats what plants needs why dont u smoke it and if it taste bad oh well u know why u got to have hps 400 to 600 i understand u on restriction, then use outside!!! greenhouse is perfect

Latest posts

Back