Drug companies and Marijuana?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir_Tokie

Reaction score
Something I have always wondered about is what if Marijuana were to become legal for medical use world wide? How could we as the consumer control the cost of our meds? I mean come on the drug companies would jack the price for an OZ of weed up so high you would never be able to afford it. People complain now over the price of weed just think if the drug companies controlled it...take care..

untill its fully legal the black market will keep it down or if its legal for you to have it should be legal to grow

It depends what you mean by legal. If you mean for medical uses then we would have to hope to avoid a monopoly, but if you look at how dispensaries are currently handled, the prices are no more outrageous than what some pay on the streets, the more companies growing and distributing would result in competitive prices. If it were to every truly become legal it would not be grown by drug or pharmaceutical companies, it would then be more comparable to (alcohol)brewing companies. Different companies offering similar but still different products for a competitive price. Obviously this is all speculation on my part, and regardless of who sells what and when, I think I'll still just grow my own. Even if I could go to the local gas station and pick up bud, I wouldn't. I grow my own vegetables, no reason pot should be any different, legal or not.

I have pondered this myself. If marijuana wer'e to become legal, the amount of tax that will be piled upon would be ridiculous to the point where A) People will continue growing their own, and B) There would still be a "Black Market" for home grown weed which will be cheaper and stronger.

If marijuana becomes legal it will need to be tested by the FDA or equivelent agency to find standardised levels of THC etc. The level of THC in "Legal" marijuana will be regulated and chances are, it will be nothing stronger than mids.

What I think anyway.

-Trippy

i dont think they could regulate thc
its a plant that ranges in thc please help me understand how they would regulate

My guess would be that pharmaceutical companies wouldn't offer it in plant form at all. It will come as pills, inhalers, patches etc. Perfectly regulatable. Once this is accomplished they would then again, as before, buy the governments attention to prosecuting those that grow or possess marijuana in plant form as they would any 'controlled' substance like oxycontin only worse most likely. Once there is an established delivery system there would be no need to leave it up to the population at large to provide (grow or buy) for themselves. Our goverment is very thoughtful that way.

That is my point exactly nvthis. So my thought is ( and I hope I don't upset anyone) which do you think would be better. Make Legal Medical Marijuana or Decriminalize the Laws (should have added that question along with the first one i asked) My opinion is decriminalize then it would keep it in our hands instead of the governments and drug companies who would just turn it into a profit scheme and to which they could impose more laws to try and control even more of our lives. Just my thoughts...take care..

i JUST had this conversation with a friend last night. i personally think that the market is still going to be competative because:
A) think of how many commercial grows there are now. if they legalized it they'd just expand on current ops.
B) i think it will forever be: homegrown vs. commercial. like the farmer's market, or the grocery store
C) you'll still have to regulate the maximum growing amount. BECAUSE Joe AgFarmer and his neighbor with a quatrillion acres in the midwest are still going to need to grow FOOD.

LONG LIVE THE HOMEGROWN!!

It would be far easier for legalization to follow decriminalization or Medical Marijuana. You state concerns with MMJ and it being in the hands of our government and drug companies, that really isn't the case. Look at how California has handled the distribution of Medical Marijuana, but they almost seem like a separate country when you look deeper into their laws. Even if it was decriminalized it would still not be in our(USA) government's hands. The Gov't will not fund or back grow ops until it is fully legal and exploitable by them. I more than likely would qualify for MMJ if it came to my state, so that would be incredibly beneficial to me. I would like to see it decriminalized and eventually legalized, especially when I think about the positive impact it would have on our economy. I could care less about the ability to buy pot, i just want to be able to grow my own, but for those who can't or won't grow their own, I'm sure they would appreciate being able to go to the store and buy pot. The only people that would have any negative effects from decriminalization/legalization would be the black market dealers.

I would rather take my chances with all that with it Legal,, rather then go to Jail or Prison because its aint.;)

IMO, I believe MMJ will be handled like all other forms of "alternitive medicne".
Your on your own.

This will pretty much leave MMJ as it stands. Distributed by Collectives and grown by the average joe.

I am actually surprised that tobacco companies are not rallying for legalization of MJ. IMO, they would be the logical companies to grow, package, and distribute it if legal (not just MMJ legal).

I believe that legalization would bring the prices down, even with the obscene (sin) taxes that the US levies. It would not doubt be taxed and regulated much like alcohol is. You would most likely be able to grow x number of ounces, just as you can distill x number of ounces of alcohol for your own use.

The economic impact if legalized is staggering...

I agree with HG. Would be good for the economy.
There are Counties in Cali that would go under without the MMJ economic boost. Can you emagine the boost to places that have no MMJ? It would be a great for the economy,,,Anywhere.

Look at what the situation is with the legal equivelent - alcohol. A few companies dominate the market and the product is expensive. The ATF vigorously pursue anyone found producing their own alcohol. The same would occur with weed; it would be "20 Acapulcos please". Alcohol is easy enough to make and distil, in fact it's easier than growing bud, but I don't notice ppl buying and selling moonshine on the streets.

leafminer said:
Look at what the situation is with the legal equivelent - alcohol. A few companies dominate the market and the product is expensive. The ATF vigorously pursue anyone found producing their own alcohol. The same would occur with weed; it would be "20 Acapulcos please". Alcohol is easy enough to make and distil, in fact it's easier than growing bud, but I don't notice ppl buying and selling moonshine on the streets.

It is not legal for just anyone to distill and sell alcohol--and it shouldn't be. Unlike mj, alcohol can be made out of many nasty things that can kill you. It is perfectly legal for you to make x number of ounces of alcohol for your own personal use. And IMO, alcohol is not that expensive.

I personally believe that legalization would bring the "street prices" down.

Latest posts

Back