need som info on rewiring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donkey942

Reaction score
ok so here goes ive got 2 175w mh lights with self contained ballast and i was wondering if just mounting the lights in the grow room would give off to much heat?, and if so can i just disconnect the wires to the socket and use wire to extend the socket into the box and mount the ballast outside and what would i need to mount the socket and would i really need a reflector hood for each light if my room is 65" long by 48" wide by 58" tall and with the 2 lights i get 20000 lumens will this be enough for this space? thax and i know this is alot of questions in a short post and thanks for all the help.

I think you need way more light, your space is roughly 20sq/ft you should have 5000 lumens per sq/ft so I would say you need at least 100000 lumens if I read your info right! I'm really stoned!

donkey942 said:
ok so here goes ive got 2 175w mh lights with self contained ballast and i was wondering if just mounting the lights in the grow room would give off to much heat?, and if so can i just disconnect the wires to the socket and use wire to extend the socket into the box and mount the ballast outside and what would i need to mount the socket and would i really need a reflector hood for each light if my room is 65" long by 48" wide by 58" tall and with the 2 lights i get 20000 lumens will this be enough for this space? thax and i know this is alot of questions in a short post and thanks for all the help.

Yes you can separate your ballast and lengthen your cord from ballast to bulb.....

That being said, You might (probably not though) might have enough light to veg your plants in this space (IF you use the whole space)... HOWEVER, you have NO WHERE near enough light to effectively flower your gals. For that space, I would go with a MINIMUM of 2 - 400 watt HPS's for flowering, and that is pushing it with the 4 ft width. A 400 watt light will effectively light about a 3'x3' area.

well ive got 2-4 ft floros and 2-2ft blus spectrum floros if i added these would they help in reaching my needed light and could i safely run both my 175w mh on they same socket and not worry about it poping sorry im full of quetions and need answers ive also got a squirral cage fan without a housing how could i use it or build a housing for it?

donkey942 said:
well ive got 2-4 ft floros and 2-2ft blus spectrum floros if i added these would they help in reaching my needed light and could i safely run both my 175w mh on they same socket and not worry about it poping sorry im full of quetions and need answers ive also got a squirral cage fan without a housing how could i use it or build a housing for it?

No, adding the fluoros still isn't going to be nearly enough light. IMO, you can generally veg okay with 3000 lumens per sq ft--you have 1400 now and the fluoros won't add many lumens--but you will need a minimum of 5000 to flower. Fluoros also have to be within inches of the canopy to be effective. This would probably block the light from the MH lights.

It is impossible for us to answer your question about the electricity. There is just too many unknowns. If this is a bedroom, it is most likely a 15 amp circuit. This will handle the lights and squirrel cage fan...however, whether the breaker will trip depends on what else is on the same circuit. I strongly recommend a GFI for all grow spaces.

well i built this room in my basement and can section it off to make it smaller will this be ok for say a 4ft by 3ft section and the wiring is on its own breaker already gfi due to bein in basement and thx for all the help goddess ill post some pics of the light ballasts later so youll see what i mean.

also how many plants should i be able to grow with these lights?

well these are the pics of lights and fan also room under construction

grow room 001.jpg

grow room 003.jpg

The room is looking good. With 28000 lumens you can light a space 5.6 sq ft or a space about 2' x 2.8'. For 12 sq ft., you are going to need a 600W and more ventilation. There is no set amount of plants for any given space. You can flower fewer larger plants or more smaller plants. Yield is more a factor of your lighting than the number of plants you have.

well i just ordered a set of 400w hps from a refurbisher they come along with some grow bulbs that are new and i picked up the 2 for around $100 with lights im going to split the room in 2 and set a mh and hps on each side and ill veg both rooms till i find females and then convert 1 to a flowering room and start taking cutting as long as the seeds i have dont auto flower. thx for all the help

Latest posts

Back