Super-Simple cloning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzydiodude

Reaction score
In the April 2009 "High Times" a article titled "super-simple cloning" by Jef Tek gave this way to clone
Fill 20 oz cup with Pro-Mix HP or any other peat-based soilless mix(like sam's Club potting soil)Holes in the bottom of the cup are up to you (I cut holes in my cups)
rooting hormone of your choice(I used Schultz TakeRoot)
Cut a long-stemmed clone from your mother plant. take a whole lower branch-these are chronlogically the oldest and will root the fastest. trim off all the lowerbranches on a steam at least 6 inches long but preferably 9 inches or longer.As long as you have a growing top and two fan leaves the clone will prosper.
Use a pencil to make a hole in the soil to insert the cutting after you have dipped it in rooting hormone.
Simply water it with 4 oz of 1/2 strength vegetative ferts water each cup evenly and then place it a few inches beneath a fluorescent light.
In a week or two the cutting(clone) will have started to root. Fertilize the plants lightly, when theystart to grow bigger, you can give them a full strength fertilization before transplanting.
If you cut or drill holes you can water from the bottom for even better root growth.
No Humidity Domes are needed with a minimum of 5 inches of stem touching moist soil, the little plant will just about continue growing while busting roots. the plant is still pulling moisture from the stem so the leaves aren't trying to suck water from the air(thereby delaying proper root formation)

15 days ago I took these 4 cutting to just try this way all 4 rooted That does make it a easy way to clone just make sure the soil stays moist.
Pictures 5 & 6 are of the root as they looked today when I checked them They are ready to transplant this week some time

clones.jpg

clones1.jpg

green clone.jpg

blue clone.jpg

clone roots.jpg

clone roots2.jpg

Try and see I just tried this way to see if it worked like the article said and it did this time. I plan to try it again when I have the time to take clones again.

Very nice thanks for shareing with us..Newbud..I use coco for my clones..so i say it will work for this just fine

Take care and be safe:bong:

I was just gonna ask about a simple, but effective method. I have two, Ginger and Mary-Ann, that are just screaming at me to let them have children.
Thanks the timing was perfect.

:watchplant::bolt::smoke1: Later.

This method rocks!! I have done this before several years ago and it worked but not as well as this time!! I got excellent results, clones were dipped in hormone liquid then put into small pots of 50/40/10 Peat Moss, Co-Co coir, pearlite and watered with 1/4 strength nutes. I used a humidity dome ... The pics is what happend 14 days later...

clones.jpg

ww mother.jpg

roots .jpg

roots 2.jpg

roots 3.jpg

Thanks MindzEye for letting us know that this way work for other and not just me. Nice looking clones.

ozzydiodude said:
take a whole lower branch-these are chronlogically the oldest and will root the fastest.

Here is a fun fact.

The reason lower branches are more apt to root faster is lower branches have less N in them. The less N you have in your mother plant, the faster the cuttings will root. Also smaller diameter stalks root faster.

Nice easy method.

NorCalHal said:
Here is a fun fact.

The reason lower branches are more apt to root faster is lower branches have less N in them. The less N you have in your mother plant, the faster the cuttings will root. Also smaller diameter stalks root faster.

Nice easy method.

sorry to get off topic, but Hal, im sure you are familiar with the 6 pack cloning method in 4" rockwool cubes like they use at Oaksterdam Nursery. Their clones always seem to have thick stems and huge fans leaves, as if they took a whole branch off the plant. Do you think their clones take a lot longer? I am about to try the 6 pack method, once the clones start to show roots in my DIY EZ-Cloner ill put them in 4" cubes on a heatmat until they blast roots. Those guys at Coffeshop Blue Sky bring in 300-700 clones a day so they must have this method perfected!

I do something similar. i use 2x2 square pots i recycled from squash starts. i pack them with a lightly nuted and microfungi promix mixture, use my pencil to poke a hole. i use smaller clones because ive been taking them off of small sog plants in flower. they are about 6" total. i guess this is why i have to mist them but i only do that with a dome for about a week on 24hr light under a flouro. i cut them at a 45* then stick them in water. once i have all my cuts and soil preped i scarify the portion of the stem that will be under the dirt then cut the bottom again at a 45* angle about .5" up from the orig cut. i read that this prevents against air getting up the stem. they then go from thew water, into root powder then into the hole. i make sure the dirt is moist when i prep it but i also give them a couple oz of water after poking them right in. ive taken 2 crops of clones now and haven't killed one(even a couple 2" long cuttings i took!!!). this sounds real similar! im deff going to try larger clones with 5" under dirt and test ti out. id love to not need a 90% environment!

LOL I posted a question elsewhere that your post pretty much answers! Nice one, I was looking for a simple way to do this (my first time using cuttings) and it seems i've found it. :aok:

greenfriend said:
sorry to get off topic, but Hal, im sure you are familiar with the 6 pack cloning method in 4" rockwool cubes like they use at Oaksterdam Nursery. Their clones always seem to have thick stems and huge fans leaves, as if they took a whole branch off the plant. Do you think their clones take a lot longer? I am about to try the 6 pack method, once the clones start to show roots in my DIY EZ-Cloner ill put them in 4" cubes on a heatmat until they blast roots. Those guys at Coffeshop Blue Sky bring in 300-700 clones a day so they must have this method perfected!

It's the hormone they are usuing, and I have been looking for it for a while now. It is pure endo butyric acid, I think that is the spelling. If you look on rooting hormone packs/bottles, they all have this in it, but I know that OakU usues the pure form, and they get roots in 7-10 days in 4 inch blocks.

NorCalHal said:
It's the hormone they are usuing, and I have been looking for it for a while now. It is pure endo butyric acid, I think that is the spelling. If you look on rooting hormone packs/bottles, they all have this in it, but I know that OakU usues the pure form, and they get roots in 7-10 days in 4 inch blocks.

NCH, here is the spelling. indole butyric acid OR Indolyl butyric acid.

im not sure of the difference but ill check into where you can buy raw indolyl butyric acid. i have to leave for rugby practice so ill do some research when i get home

ok, check out this link and see if this is what you are looking for.
Apollo Scientific
5 grams $25 25 gm $77
hXXp://www.apolloscientific.co.uk/display_item.asp

Interchem Technologies

Indole-3-Butyric Acid (IBA) is used in the same manner as IAA and is accepted around the world as a propagating and rooting hormone for ornamental and fruit graftings and cuttings.
Indone-3-Butyric Acid appears to be the most practical of the indole Alkonic Acid Series and is especially effective for initiating roots of both stems and leaves.
IBA is a white or tan powder or crystalline solid which exhibits the reactions characteristic of an organic acid. It is insoluble in water bot soluble in alkali metal hydroxides and carbonates and in common organic solvents. In the agricultueral chemical field Indole-3-Butyric Acid is used to promote the rooting of plant cuttings and the ripening of fruit.ater absorption of the cells. IAA causes a fairly rapid increase in the cell wall extensibility in coleoptiles and young stems.

Interchem Technologies
San Diego Office
1147 Merritt Drive
San Diego (El Cajon), California 92020
USA

Voice: (619) 444-1209
Fax: (619) 444-1376
hXXp://www.interchemtechnologies.com/ic/IBA.htm

Phyto Technology Labs
hXXp://www.phytotechlab.com/detail.aspx?ID=388

Sigma-Aldrich
To get pricing you must register
hXXp://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/ProductDetail.do?N4=I5386%7CSIGMA&N5=SEARCH_CONCAT_PNO%7CBRAND_KEY&F=SPEC

Colonial Scientific
hXXps://www.colonialscientific.com/OScatalog/index.php?products_id=138407&source=googleps

Independent Laboratory Distributors Association
ILDA is an association of independent laboratory product distributors and their suppliers whose purpose is to help members succeed in serving the needs of their customers.
ILDA is committed to providing a forum for networking and educating its members and for promoting the association to the laboratory market.
hXXp://www.ilda.org/

4u2sm0ke said:
Very nice thanks for shareing with us..Newbud..I use coco for my clones..so i say it will work for this just fine

Take care and be safe:bong:

Yup same here ----coco coir mixed with black gold potting soil.

black gold potting mix comes in a couple diff varieties. The Orig. black gold and organic ones i mix for the rich worm casting base. add in coco coir as MASSP buckets and youre off an runnin

NCH, no problem. i followed your stickey on cloning and 3 out of 3 21 + days and they are healthy. this was my first time attempting to clone so i thank you for the info.

please keep us updated on how to use it.

Interchem Technologies

...In the agricultueral chemical field Indole-3-Butyric Acid is used to promote the rooting of plant cuttings and the ripening of fruit...

The Ripening of Fruit is another use for IBA. after reading this i had to ask the expierenced growers if they have ever heard this and now does anyone plan on trying to use IBA for this. im all ears.

Latest posts

Back