Tincture help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rosebud

I have looked all through the site and really can't find a tincture recipe. This is what I am wondering.
Should I bake it on low heat before I put it in the alcohol or double boiler it after it is done?

This is what I did last time but it wasn't strong enough;
Buds and shake, ( lots of tricomes) Ever Clear to cover. Shake daily for two weeks. Strain through cheese cloth. Refrigerate in sealed bottle.
Put a few droppers under tongue...pain goes away, or else I just don't care and can sleep.

The first tincture I purchased I only had to take on dropper. The "caregiver" i got it from can't give me any info about how it was made. Any ideas?

Thank you again.
rosebud

Thank you so much Umbra..A month huh, ok, if you say so. I will get it started now.

umbra...iso oil properly prepared can be eaten, vaped, smoked, just as it is. I was thinking about Simpsons "phoenix tears" when I posted that link.
hXXp://www.phoenixtears.ca/make.php

thanks umbra.. for the clarification ;)

Hey Guys,
Yes, I want to use it under the tongue, sub lingual. Instead of using Everclear I thought about using 151 rum. I don't drink alcohol, so I will cook the alcohol off after the month. I have used glycerin in the past to make tincture but I think the booze extracts the good stuff from the pot better then glycerin.

I just want it to be the quality of the stuff I bought. ( do you hear me whining?)

Thank you.

Hey Umbra,

I started the tincture today. Of course I wish you hadn't told me a month. Don't suppose you'd want to change that do ya?:D I have it stored in a glass jar in the dark and will go swirl it everyday.

Thanks again for your help.

CAn someone clear this up for me. Ive seen the washes be anywhere from Minutes to weeks in different threads. Some say shake for 2 or 3 minutes and pour thru coffee stranier. Others say setup for 2 to 4 weeks,, shaking dailey.
Which is best,,or might I ask,,how long does it really take for the ISO to remove the THC from the trim???

I am so confused about making tincture. I know what you mean there are a lot of different opinions on how long it takes.
I don't use ISO, is that like rubbing alcohol? I use everclear and have been told to use rum, the higher the proof the better.
I know I have made some that was in the alcohol for three weeks. It wasn't that great till I cooked the alcohol off which made the tincture stronger.
You don't have to really stir or swirl that often..because you have ground the pot pretty well. You need to not make it powder as it needs the leave surface big enough to draw out the THC and the rest of the goodies.
It is amazing to me the end product, and what effect it has on pain and as a muscle relaxer.
I have searched the Internet and have found some suggestions. I will let you know, if you want, how this turns out.

tincture should not be made out of ISO. ISO when evaporated leaves behind honey oil.
True tincture or green dragon is made with high proof liquor. ;)
ISO must be completely evapd off before smoking or cooking with.
really after a few hours the THC is dissolved by the everclear or rum or even Jack Daniels if thats your thing. Letting it soak for weeks or months doesn't seem worth it. Well dried and cured trim or buds is a must.
I Got a recipe for home brew beer with herb too. :cool:

Mutt said:
tincture should not be made out of ISO. ISO when evaporated leaves behind honey oil.
True tincture or green dragon is made with high proof liquor. ;)
ISO must be completely evapd off before smoking or cooking with.
really after a few hours the THC is dissolved by the everclear or rum or even Jack Daniels if thats your thing. Letting it soak for weeks or months doesn't seem worth it. Well dried and cured trim or buds is a must.
I Got a recipe for home brew beer with herb too. :cool:

Thank You;)

umbra said:
My understanding of the tincture methods...use iso for a short time for hash oil, and ethanol a longer time for a tincture. The reasons being for hash oil, all you want is delta 9 THC. But for a tincture you want ethanol, and you want it to soak for a while because you want the CBD and CBN to be part of the tincture, and they are not as soluable as the THC. :rolleyes:

perfect!... the solvents extracts "all" essential oils, not 'just' thc(delta9).. the longer it soaks, the more oils it will extract. Wet or dry material, the solvent extracts the same....IMO/E
In medicine[/URL], a tincture is an alcoholicextract[/URL] (e.g. of leaves or other plant material) or]solution[/URL] of a non-volatile[/URL] substance; (e.g. of]iodine[/URL], mercurochrome[/URL]). To qualify as a tincture, the alcoholic extract is to have an ]ethanol[/URL] percentage of at least 40-60% (sometimes a 90% percent pure liquid is even achieved). In herbal medicine, alcoholic tinctures are often made with various concentrations of ethanol, 25% being the most common. Other concentrations include 45% and 90%. Herbal tinctures do not always use ethanol as a solvent, though this is the most frequent. Other solvents include vinegar[/URL], glycerol[/URL],ether[/URL] and ]propylene glycol[/URL], not all of which are used for internal consumption. However, the advantage of ethanol is that being close to neutral ]pH[/URL], it is a good compromise as a solvent of both acidic and alkaline constituents. Glycerine is a poorer solvent generally and vinegar, being acidic, is a better solvent of alkaloids but a poorer solvent of acids, which would result in the alkaloids being more active in the preparation than otherwise. However, for people who do not imbibe alcohol for medical, religious or moral reasons, non-alcoholic tinctures are a possible alternative.
Solutions of volatile substances were calledspirits[/URL], although that name was also given to several other materials obtained by distillation[/URL], even when they did not include alcohol. In chemistry[/URL], a tincture is a solution[/URL] that has alcohol[/URL] as the solvent[/URL].

Main Entry: 1tinc·ture
Pronunciation: \ˈtiŋ(k)-chər\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin tinctura act of dyeing, from tinctus, past participle of tingere to tinge
Date: 14th century

1 a archaic : a substance that colors, dyes, or stains b : color, tint
2 a : a characteristic quality : cast b : a slight admixture : trace <a tincture of doubt>
3 obsolete : an active principle or extract
4 : a heraldic metal, color, or fur
5 : a solution of a medicinal substance in an alcoholic solvent

Wet or dry material, the solvent extracts the same....IMO/E
wet never worked out well for me. might be something I'm doing, but dry gave me a much better end product.

umbra said:
. But for a tincture you want ethanol, and you want it to soak for a while because you want the CBD and CBN to be part of the tincture, and they are not as soluable as the THC. :rolleyes:

That is exactly right. The CBD and CBN is what I am looking for. It is also my understanding and I don't know if this is true, that the leaves have more of those then buds?
Thank you all.

Myself, I am not really into tincture myself at all.
BUT, my main partner in crime is all about it. He is a Vendor for a few clubs and they all love his Tincture.
I know he makes it from Veg oil. Puts A trim (A trim being the trimming closest to the bud, with the most THC) and the oil into a Mason Jar. He will "churn" this jar every other day for 2, yes TWO months minimum. He is all crazy with it, has the jars labled and dated and everything.

After that, they "press" the oil out and fill the little bottles with the droppers.

I have yet to hear a bad reveiw from anyone. I guess the longer oil method is alot better then usuing alcohol or other things, but the oil takes the longest.
It is REALLY taking off as far as folks wanting that tincture, because most folks use the alcohol method, and he is the only one that does the oil method, and for most folks, they feel that the oil is "healthier".

I am pretty sure that he got the recipe from a Subcool article in West Coast Cannabis magazine. Maybe you can google it.

I saw that article at "that other site", when I googled it, but I know that he did an entire how to in a mag article. I am pretty sure he changed it to Veg oil...not 100% tho, I'll have to ask my partner.
I think it was in treating yourself Mag too.

You are correct Umbra, it's a glycerin, but to me it looked like Veg oil...lol. I just called and woke him up!

UMBRA, will you be starting a thread on your 'tincture'? shure hope so.
we had been looking at getting a vape. my wife is smoke sensitive. this tincture meathod mite be the way for her to take her meds.
thanx $$

NorCalHal said:
I saw that article at "that other site", when I googled it, but I know that he did an entire how to in a mag article. I am pretty sure he changed it to Veg oil...not 100% tho, I'll have to ask my partner.
I think it was in treating yourself Mag too.

Yes there was an article in treating yourself, not too long ago within the last 6 issues or so, I don't remember if it was from subcool or not. I had origianly PM'd rosebud to tell her I had a recipe somewhere in a magazine. I guess since I opened my mouth before finding the magazine, that had to be the issue that I can't find anywhere! I know I have it in this mess somewhere, I just have to find it....Thank you all for posting this info, I felt like a fool after telling someone I had a recipe somewhere, and then was not able to provide it. If ever I find it I will be sure to post it. Again, I'm sorry rose!

Hey Legalize, please don't worry about it.

I have made tincture twice. The first time with an ounce of shake and a few buds ( lots of tricomes) and glycerine to cover. Let it set only three weeks. I used the shake as I thought it had more of the pain properites in it. It was not as potent as the gylcerine tincture I had pruchased. That was amazing, it got me off my perscription pain killers. Thank you!

Next i made one with everclear, half bud, half shake. Let the everclear tincture for two weeks . Mixed the two tinctures together..it was just ok. Then i double boiler cooked it and watched the alcohal evaprate.. Now it is good. I just would like a real recipe.. trial and error may be how we figure it out.
I know one of my problems was I didn't keep it going long enough I guess.

Umbra your's should be wonderful.

I know there are lots of reciepes on the net, and that is what I went by, but didn't get the results I wanted.

Thanks you guys, I love this place:D

Latest posts

Back