Electrical question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazmaine420

Reaction score
So I'm planning on building a flowering room in my basement and have 3
1000 watt HPS lights in there. I will have to have an electrician wire the space. Can anyone tell me how many AMPs I would need to run these lights? Can I do it on 1 20 amp circuit breaker?

volts x amps = watts

1000w / 120v = 8.3 amps

8.3 amps x 150% (resistive load sizing) = 15a breaker and atleast 14 gauge wire.

I would go with a 20A breaker and 12 gauge wire so you have plenty of extra fans and stuff wired into the same circuit.

You can easily do this for about 50$ with a trip to lowes...just sayin.

Budz--he has 3 1000W lights plus what ever else the grow room needs--fans, pumps, etc. Isn't he going to want a 30 amp breaker and maybe 10 gauge wire?

The Hemp Goddess said:
Budz--he has 3 1000W lights plus what ever else the grow room needs--fans, pumps, etc. Isn't he going to want a 30 amp breaker and maybe 10 gauge wire?
He'd have to have a sub panel and more breakers in the basement. You can't safely put standard wall plugs behind a 30 amp breaker.

I'd go with 3-20 amp circuits. One light and its associated cooling equipment per circuit. If a circuit trips, the light and its fans go off together. You wouldn't want a fan circuit to trip and have the light still burning.

IMO 1 circuit per light like Classic said is best and safest.

Classic said:
He'd have to have a sub panel and more breakers in the basement. You can't safely put standard wall plugs behind a 30 amp breaker.

I'd go with 3-20 amp circuits. One light and its associated cooling equipment per circuit. If a circuit trips, the light and its fans go off together. You wouldn't want a fan circuit to trip and have the light still burning.

WOW, i missed the 3 at the end there.....THG is correct

I would run multiple circuits in that case.

Yeah I agree, run 3 20amp circuits and separate the lights and equip so that if there is a small problem in one thing, you don't lose everything when a single breaker trips.

If you don't have enough room in the main box to do that, you can actually run some 8g wire from a single 60amp breaker down to the room to a sub panel and then connect the 3 20amp circuits there. Its so not hard to do :)

Thanks for the help guys. So with 3 20 amp breakers I can run this on standard 120v plugs? Or do I need to go with 220?

And From what your saying I should run each light on a seperate breaker? Besides that I'd have an inline fan for exhaust, 3 tower fans for air movement and a dehumidifier. These could be divided between the three circuits and be fine?

Yep Yep and just split all of your fans and pumps up among the 3 breakers. If you have 3 lights and one exhaust fan, put the exhaust fan with one light, put the oscillating fans with the other light, and any pumps or other accessories with the 3rd light. :)

Latest posts

Back