DrGreenThumb and The_Riz's Grow Journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

Welcome to our first grow this season. Let me tell you what equipment we are using...

NFT hydroponic system: Link (comes with 5 small and 5 large rockwool blocks, a pump, hose for watering, resevoir and a spreader mat)
6" rotating fan
VitaLink Nutrients: 2 part nutrients for veg and bloom Link
a 400 watt HPS grow light (super deluxe at the bottom of the chart) Link

Next, the seeds we got are from www.nirvana.nl we arent sure about the quality of the seeds but the strain is apparently "California Orange Bud" so i have no idea how these will turn out. Good thing is that its at least not unknown seeds im sticking in for a crop. They arent femanised so i should keep checking them.

Right.. now its time to tell you how our progress is going (pictures coming later on)

Hey guys whats up. Glad to see ya start a grow journal. By the looks and sound of things you guys did your reading. Not much of a hydro guy myself but looks foward to following your journal. Here is some GREEN MOJO to get those babies going. Good luck guys. ;)

GreenMojo.JPG

Thanks for the Mojo TBG, i think it gave our plants a nice good luck boost :D

well, we are preparing pictures of our grow and equipment, hope you like ;)

***Vegetation Equipment:
veg_nuts.jpg

Equipment used for vegetation:

* Vita Link Vegetation Nutrients part A + B

* pH Testing kit (2 Dialation solutions + Test Vile)

* pH Down Solution (Phosphoric Acid)

* Mister (Filled with pH Adjusted water + Spider Mite Solution)

* Mister head on Sparkling Water (Co2 for the plants)

* Root Matting

* Duct Tape (Various Use)

* Scalpal (Trimming, Constructing)

***Flowering Equipment:
grow_nuts.jpg

Equipment use for flowering:

* Vita Link Flowering Nutrients part A + B

* Dr Hornby's Big Bud Nutrient Booster

* Spider Mite Controll

* Jug (Multipurpose)

** Also Pictured Seeds

**VEGETATION**

set_up.jpgcardboard_fortress_low.jpg

* Plants sit on tray covered in 'Root Matting', on a shelf above resovoir, perfect if space and or money is limited..

* Lamp suspended over plants roughly 1 and 1/2 feet above tops.. Lamp was 1 foot above for stem strength, and as now been raised to 1 and 1/2 to promote height

* Small desk fan under chair

Sizolene Screen:

sizolene_screen.jpg

* If money is your issue (as is ours) Cardboard and a reflective material such as 'Mylar' can be used to build a crued box, as refferd to by both of us as the "Cardboard Fortress"

Lamp Set Up:

hooks.jpg

* Although some of you Growing Pro's will probably be discusted, We thought this was a great method of hoisting our HPS lamp. Simply 2 ceeling hooks and some strong postal twine! :cool:

Monitoring:

dials.jpg

* We keep a Thermomitor and a Humidity dial on the back wall of the grow area. This allows us to take accurate readings of the temperature and humidity within the grow space

just so you guys know, this is now week 4 of our vegetative growth.

Let us know what you think of our set up and plants :)

Sexing:
Sex.jpg

* We just cut 3 branches with alternating nodes from the 3 plants.. the clipping were placed in miniture aeroplane whisky bottles filled with pH 6.0 chlorine free water.

The clippings will be placed in the main grow area for 12 hours, and the remaining 12 hours will be spent in a seperate light proof box to induce flowering and hopefully sex determination..

We would appreciate any views anybody has on this method :farm:

riz

Hmmm.... well, never heard o' it. I guess you'll know soon enough mang :p

I need about 10-14 days under the 12/12, so you'll have to ride it out that long. Be interesting to see how it works!

cool were not bothered about flowering there parents yet anyway, nice and big :D

well, the little whiskey bottles didnt really help as a lot of the water evaporated past the stalk, i had to transfer the cuttings to glasses of water and pull off some of the dead leaves. they are looking a little better.

hope they survive just a few days so i can tell what sex each of my babies are :) pics will be coming just before they go back into the box for their 12 hours kip.

On the plus side, the humidity is around 30% and i have used the little bottles to heat up water and evaporate it. bit of a quick fix scheme but i think its working

Good stuff man, hope you have a great crop.:ccc: Never grown Hydro, maybe some day.

its a very efficient way of growing, no soil means no mess. but there is a lot of water involved :p

looking good dr green im also growing nft mainly althou gh have some soil ladies at the mo too drop by my diary if you like

DrGreenThumb said:
its a very efficient way of growing, no soil means no mess. but there is a lot of water involved :p
i read u can add sugar 2 pot. if so at what stage do i add 4 how long.and can u any kind of sugar

I am not sure what you are talking about. i dont have any pots, i use an NFT system that passes water past the roots all day long until the night when it stop for a few hours.

If you got questions that are totally unrelated to our grow pls ask in another area of the forum or even a private message

hahahahahhah that was a question about makin tea :):)

DR.GT can i get some pictures of you system please and tell me about it mybe i would try NFT ??
i got DWC, Stoney helpin me with my Ebb and Flow , why not to try NFT ??

Brouli, scroll up and have a look, me and Doc Green are growing together so my posts are our posts. the pics of the NFT system further up is the one we use.

It has a 20 litre (approx) resivoir (the main tank)

the water is pumped onto a tray at the top, through the root mat, then dropping back down to the resovoir at the end, after running through all the rockwool cubes.

the roots have covered the whole root matting pretty much, so wherever the pump puts the water is good..

thats it!, thats NFT

hope this helps, well get some more pics when we harvest as its hard to see the way the system works now the plants are so big, and cant be moved

riz

can ya help me build one small one like 4 plants ??

Latest posts

Back