100W CFL for 10 bux

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fleshstain

I noticed a lot of people on here, including myself, are using the spiral CFL's found pretty frequently at Wally's....I was at Home Depot about an hour ago and noticed they've got up to 100W CFL's in cool and warm for less than 10 bux....just thought i'd share....

do you know how many lumens the 100watt has i know the 42's i got at wal mart are 2700

I was at homedepot and saw those 100watt cfls. However they do not fit in a standard lamp socket ballast (such as a lamp, or shop fixture). Make sure you buy the ballast that fits it. Also, the box it comes in does not show the lumen count :(

ive got a question about the cfls. Are they 100watt equivilent (20-30watt actual) or are they 100 watt actual usage?

Yeah man. When the cfl packages say 100watt, it means that it produces the equivalent of an old regular light bulb but actually uses like 65 watts.

I bought a General Purpose soft white compact floro at Wally-mart. It uses 45watts and at the same time it produces the amount of light a 150watt regular bulb produces. (2900 lumens and last 10 times longer, saving 84 dollars a year just using this bulb over the old fashioned bulbs of the past)

The package will usally advertise the amount of wattage your saving.

i am drunk right now so do not look at speling haha. you are right the cfl are rated as the equal amount of incondents < i dont know. but I think the person who posted the trend is saying that they offer 100 acual watts of cfl. lattter lol

sicnarf said:
Yeah man. When the cfl packages say 100watt, it means that it produces the equivalent of an old regular light bulb but actually uses like 65 watts.

I bought a General Purpose soft white compact floro at Wally-mart. It uses 45watts and at the same time it produces the amount of light a 150watt regular bulb produces. (2900 lumens and last 10 times longer, saving 84 dollars a year just using this bulb over the old fashioned bulbs of the past)

Right, i know that is how they are advertised, but I was wondering how people here are refering to them. When someone says they got a 100w cfl, does it mean that they really have a 30watt cfl? Or is there some giant cfl at the store that I just havnt found yet?

I usally see people refere back to the actual bulb watts. Most know that when you mention floro and watts you usally are talking about actual bulb wattage.

cratos said:
ive got a question about the cfls. Are they 100watt equivilent (20-30watt actual) or are they 100 watt actual usage?

they're not 100W incandescent equivalents....they use 100W power....and the package didn't have anything about lumen output....i forgot to mention they were mogul base....but they did have 50 & 75 watters in standard socket....

...i forgot to mention they were mogul base
a mogul base with a ballast I believe. I don't think that the 100 watt cfl's have the "built in" ballast.

Hick said:
a mogul base with a ballast I believe. I don't think that the 100 watt cfl's have the "built in" ballast.

just curious....does anyone know why some of CFL's have a built in ballast and some don't....i've got one that's 44 watts that has a built in ballast and a couple that are 24 watts that don't have it....the 24 watters fire up in a standard socket....just curious why some seem to need them and others don't....

All flourecent lights have to have a ballast. The larger teh power usage, the larger the wattage. That is why the bigger bulbs must have an external balast, because it cant be fit inside the base of the bulb. If you compare the 24 watt bulb to a standard incandecent bulb youll see that the base where it screws in has a larger bulge. That is where the balast is.

i got 150watt CFL at home depote and it say it output 2600 lumen, life hour of 10,000 and energy watt usage of 42watt. This light costed me $9.89. This bulb was a hassel for me!!! because this bulb is a medium base.
So i had to go to another hardware store and buy all the things i need to build a lamp kit. I bought socket, cord and all that stuff. So it all ended up costing me 65 bucks for 4 150watt CFL, and the lamp kit. (Lamp kit took me 2 hours to assemble. but it was worth it)

Chicken said:
i got 150watt CFL at home depote and it say it output 2600 lumen, life hour of 10,000 and energy watt usage of 42watt.

Just for a note: its a 42 watt CFL. That 150W is the incadescent equivilent. It don't mean shit except for little old ladies trying to find a lamp light. but for growing it is 42W output. Its just marketing propaganda IMO.

cratos said:
All flourecent lights have to have a ballast. The larger teh power usage, the larger the wattage. That is why the bigger bulbs must have an external balast, because it cant be fit inside the base of the bulb. If you compare the 24 watt bulb to a standard incandecent bulb youll see that the base where it screws in has a larger bulge. That is where the balast is.
I use a twin CFL 125 watt lights in a fixture. The setup cost me about 300 bucks. It puts out an outragous amount of light. I grow two mothers under it.

The lights are 125 Watt, 6400K, full spectrum daylight FLC125D's.
http://www.hydroponicgarden.com/shopexd.asp?id=1027

The fixture is made so that the lights screw into each end. It's rectangular and is vented on the ends.

The ballast is in the base of this light.

Right now, I've got three Snow White seedlings under it bushing out nicely.

costing me 65 bucks for 4 150watt CFL,
...actually "4 @ 42 watts" = 168 watts
for about another 20-25 $, you could have had a 400 watt HID. Which, BTW, is more effecient, less cost per lumen than flourescents.

Stoney Bud said:
The lights are 125 Watt, 6400K, full spectrum daylight FLC125D's.
hey Stoney....any idea on the lumen output on those 125 watters?

Latest posts

Back