12-1 light cycle what do you think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Runbyhemp said:
Here is article quoted for benefit of readers:

Never heard of this. Cannot say it is not true, based on fact that I have never tried it, however am very skeptical as a lot of misinformation in article.
Have highlighted misinformation above. 18/6 does not stress a plant. In summertime here in Ireland we get 17/18 hours daylight mid summer. The further North you move the more daylight you get, all the way up to 24 hours light. He says to mimic conditions of outdoor plants. What if I want to mimic the conditions of a plant grown "naturally" outside here in Ireland. Then I use 18 hours light, right ? How is giving them one hour of light in their dark period mimicing natural conditions outside ? I wonder what percentage of hermaphrodites he gets.

Once again, not saying Reinhard Delp's method doesn't work, but whoever wrote this article does not have a clue.

Yeah, I've not seen nature turn the sun on for an hour every night.....

Those of us on 24/0 must really be messing up!

The 12-1 lighting schedule is as follows 12 hours lights on, 5.5 lights off, 1-hour lights on, 5.5 lights off, and repeat schedule. The 1 hour on in between off period fools the plants that stay in vegetative growth state!

While this is actually true (it's how photperiodism was actually discovered), I can't imagine how this would not be a stress factor. But certainly would contribute to stretch I would think.

the last weeks of flower you should be at 9 hours on and 15 hours off. You’ll get bigger and better buds by copying the way the sun light works on cannabis outdoors

This actually runs contrary to RC Clarke's findings, at least as far as thc production is concerned, or doesn't that matter?

. Cannabis needs only 13 hours to stay in the vegetative growth stage.
wrong... most outdoor plants are in the finishing stage before 12/12 is reached outdoors. OD plants along the 38 parallel begin flowering in late July, early August when light hours exceed 14 p/day.
Growing indoors you should copy how it grows outdoors.
... mimicking specific outdoor conditions may aid in the expression of certain phenotypes/strains, but.. it has long been indoor growers claims, that their product is superior because they can provide a "more" ideal, perfect environment. (eg.. no bugs, no stress, ability to control every aspect)
In the flowering stage, never use 12-12, start your flowering period at 11 hours on 13 hours off. When your are growing outdoors each day you get less and less sun light, you should copy the way the sun acts naturally in your indoor grow. So first 2 weeks of flower you go 11 on 13 off, the next 2 weeks you go down to 10.5 on 13.5 off, next 2 weeks 10 on 14 off, next two weeks 9.5 on 14.5 off and the last weeks of flower you should be at 9 hours on and 15 hours off. You’ll get bigger and better buds by copying the way the sun light works on cannabis outdoors.
In addition to studies that reveal nearlly twice as much thc is produced under 12 hours of light than under 10, there a very few places on this rock that will still support plant growth when light hours reach 9. Frost, soil temps, won't allow it.
Even equatorial strains don’t get 18 hours of sun a day.
'equatorial' strains receive 12/12 nearly ALL of the time. there is very little fluctuation on the equator.
The 18-6 lighting schedule in vegetation, actually stress your plants,
Obviously this guy has never seen the giant fruits and veggies produced in Alaska's Matanuska valley and it's midsummer 20 hours of light p/day.

"[Light poisoning/light stress" (interrupting the dark cycle) IS. "IMO/E" the most predominate reason/method of inducing hermaphrodites.
I'm with runby on this one for sure, there seems to be significant 'misinformation'.

Thanks for posting the article Runbyhemp.

After reading the article I have to agree with you and Hick.

:bong:

Wow....why the hell wld you want to do that? So much info in that article is just plain wrong.

I have heard of this...

I brought it up with a breeder friend, he said he uses 12-1 to create hermies for back crossing...

I'd stray away from it..

I'm with the others--there is so much that is wrong with that info that it is hard to know where to start.

Indoor growers are not trying to mimic the outdoors--we are trying to optimize conditions with the manipulation of light. Wasn't it Clarke that showed that you get about 50% less bud with a 10-14 flowering schedule than a 12/12 one?

Once again.....thanks High times for all your useful information...I've seen it there and in weed world im pretty sure...I'm not about to try this...

When i started growing about 5 years ago, I vegged under 18 hours of light...then i heard conflicting stories about a 24/0 schedule...

I had to try the 24 hour schedule...Glad i did. i saw faster growth strait up. no effects when i switched to 12/12...

Save yourself the science experiment and dont try this.

I run 24/0 during veg and 12/12 during flower for photo strains and 24/0 for the first month and 20/4 remainder for autos. Ive got a few grows under my belt and the only things thats ever stressed my plants is too much heat or over nuting them. I think Ill stick with whats been working and working well thanks.

Good points... It was more of a joke, seeing as he does mostly regular crosses :rofl: Inside joke I guess!

Hey--420 Osborn--I kind of take exception to your sig--not the breast part (although that is probably true, I don't know), the hydro part.

I got this article in the mail today from my cuz. I think they are doing it this way. I will tell them what you-all have to say, which I agree with, btw.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Hey--420 Osborn--I kind of take exception to your sig--not the breast part (although that is probably true, I don't know), the hydro part.

I just think it's funny...I dont necessarily agree with it. Saw it somewhere on this forum I think ...or maybe somewhere else? I dunno. .

Latest posts

Back