180 watt LED lights panel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkpathus

Reaction score
I have been researching the use of a 180 watt, 11 band LED light panel from Advanced Lighting.com With the cost of utilities going up; and very little heat emitted from the panel; that it would be a good buy ($540); and would pay for itself quickly. The core footprint of light is 2.5' x 2.5'. The light panel is supposed to be tweeked for optimum plant growth from veg to flower; however I would like to hear from experienced folks who know what works and what is hype.
I was thinking that if used in a 2.5' x 2.5' x 6' space; that it would produce a good amount of light to support maybe 2-4 plants. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks

Spearchucker did a lot of research on LEDs before buying one...maybe he will chime in here. I wld do a whole helll of a lot of research before buying any LED panel. You can get taken for a bunch of coin by some of these shady LED salesmen.

I think we hve one or two cats growing with LEDs right now...I wld look through the grow journal section and talk to someone who has grown with them and flowered with them. I don't doubt the veg well...it's the flowering part that I am iffy on.

Yea check out Staffy's Grow Journal he grew with 2 180 LED lights and the results were really impresive.

I guess it just comes down to the same argument that shook when CFLs began to harvest this herb. LEDs to me look like something that will become very succuessful in this hobby once the charm and hype settles and prices go down. Lucky for CFL-ers the whole concept of CFL is same output, same size, less usage, less heat. However you must tune into the exact science behind making this light source work. Ask growers from separate styles and they will all have a different technique based solely upon light source used.

JustAnotherAntMarching said:
If you go LED I would suggest goin SOG and flowering clones once they root...

Only that

AlkaloidContent said:
I guess it just comes down to the same argument that shook when CFLs began to harvest this herb. LEDs to me look like something that will become very succuessful in this hobby once the charm and hype settles and prices go down. Lucky for CFL-ers the whole concept of CFL is same output, same size, less usage, less heat. However you must tune into the exact science behind making this light source work. Ask growers from separate styles and they will all have a different technique based solely upon light source used.

Welcome to MP. I saw your GJ. I think you are really misinformed about CFL's.

nouvellechef said:
Welcome to MP. I saw your GJ. I think you are really misinformed about CFL's.

LOL well I appreciate your honesty. Im sure you are using HIDs and thats all fine and everything. However friend, we have both seen the same grow logs and journals online concerning CFLs and we have seen what they do. So why start this argument on this guys thread? I would use HIDs too if I could exhaust to the outdoors but I cant so I have to focus on another technique. Dont Hate! lol :cool:

I have grown with tube flouros before and harvested. CFL just puts it into a more condensed space. However this will be my first grow log recorded and first website joined to do so. So Ill just show you what CFL is about. I dont know yet but after I post this Ill check to see if you have any logs I am curious. Cheers!

Hell perhaps Ill even look into some LED supplementation light. Instead of going full on CFL I mean LEDs seem to output some lower temp, although with any light source the more light, more heat. Period.

AlkaloidContent said:
LOL well I appreciate your honesty. Im sure you are using HIDs and thats all fine and everything. However friend, we have both seen the same grow logs and journals online concerning CFLs and we have seen what they do. So why start this argument on this guys thread? I would use HIDs too if I could exhaust to the outdoors but I cant so I have to focus on another technique. Dont Hate! lol :cool:

If your not exhausting using any grow method(minus running real CO2), you are even more mis informed about this little growing thing. Not trying to argue. Just being honest. Ask around. I know my ganja. In volume.

nouvellechef said:
If your not exhausting using any grow method(minus running real CO2), you are even more mis informed about this little growing thing. Not trying to argue. Just being honest. Ask around. I know my ganja. In volume.

I think you should re-read my grow I know its alot to read because I am excited to actually show off what I can do.

I JUST WANT TO SAY I HAVE SEEN EVIDENCE OF YOUR SENIORITY IN THIS MATTER. OKAY I HAVE.

I looked at a few of your indoor grows. You do know your ****. However I wont allow you to substandardize my knowledge because you are "Senior Member" and have over 1,700 posts. You have proven yourself. Why belittle others you obviously don tneed to worry.

BTW I am exhausting from my grow room. :D Re read the grow log I posted. And take an interest this time. Cheers!

AlkaloidContent said:
I think you should re-read my grow I know its alot to read because I am excited to actually show off what I can do.

I JUST WANT TO SAY I HAVE SEEN EVIDENCE OF YOUR SENIORITY IN THIS MATTER. OKAY I HAVE.

I looked at a few of your indoor grows. You do know your ****. However I wont allow you to substandardize my knowledge because you are "Senior Member" and have over 1,700 posts. You have proven yourself. Why belittle others you obviously don tneed to worry.

BTW I am exhausting from my grow room. :D Re read the grow log I posted. And take an interest this time. Cheers!

Chill lax. I only peeked at your GJ. I just saw you say some wrong info on CFL's. So I thought I might correct the info. Then I saw this,

AlkaloidContent said:
I would use HIDs too if I could exhaust to the outdoors but I cant so I have to focus on another technique. Dont Hate! lol :cool:

And thought, ok, maybe he needs some guidance. But apparently not. No biggie. I will be around and cant wait for the CFL nugs. GL

nouvellechef said:
Chill lax. I only peeked at your GJ. I just saw you say some wrong info on CFL's. So I thought I might correct the info. Then I saw this,

And thought, ok, maybe he needs some guidance. But apparently not. No biggie. I will be around and cant wait for the CFL nugs. GL

LMAO prob not but why not dream right. No offense Sir honestly I would love HID but they would build up the heat too quickly for the area, where as CFL I can maneuver the lighting and what not since they plants dont really branch to reach the intense light they just stay nice and bonsai-ish since the lights are right on em. Plus its also like Ive stated before but on a different thread, so you havent seen me say it, the only HID ballasts I can get are 75w and you cant change out between HPS and MH bulbs. And they are about $70 a piece without a bulb and I wont order grow lights online. I just wont.

So just for the record Sir you I can consider you a role model, great grows you got going on. Thank you for your input and hopefully we can put aside our differences, after all we all grow the same plant right?

AlkaloidContent said:
LMAO prob not but why not dream right. No offense Sir honestly I would love HID but they would build up the heat too quickly for the area, where as CFL I can maneuver the lighting and what not since they plants dont really branch to reach the intense light they just stay nice and bonsai-ish since the lights are right on em. Plus its also like Ive stated before but on a different thread, so you havent seen me say it, the only HID ballasts I can get are 75w and you cant change out between HPS and MH bulbs. And they are about $70 a piece without a bulb and I wont order grow lights online. I just wont.

So just for the record Sir you I can consider you a role model, great grows you got going on. Thank you for your input and hopefully we can put aside our differences, after all we all grow the same plant right?

Thanx. I wasnt mad or being mean. I generally am really nice, except in the kitchen at times :) Taming the heat from a HID is easier than one would think. Most here could not believe I could get away with running many 1k's in vertical HID's, 9" from the buds, no heat burn and run at a cool 77 degrees. Set up just needs to be dialed in. CFL's actually cost you more in the long run, produce more heat and since your growing chronic, why not make it the best it can be for all the risk going into it? Well for some at least. All those long months, to produce substantially less bud in the end.

nouvellechef said:
Thanx. I wasnt mad or being mean. I generally am really nice, except in the kitchen at times :) Taming the heat from a HID is easier than one would think. Most here could not believe I could get away with running many 1k's in vertical HID's, 9" from the buds, no heat burn and run at a cool 77 degrees. Set up just needs to be dialed in. CFL's actually cost you more in the long run, produce more heat and since your growing chronic, why not make it the best it can be for all the risk going into it? Well for some at least. All those long months, to produce substantially less bud in the end.

And see your right about all this too. 9" Thats some damn fine tuning lol. You have to have it all in tubes thats the only way that can be possible. I jjst dont have all the room for that. I mean the whole little extra cost isnt realizeable enough that switching the whole house to CFL, which this is a large house. Wouldnt counteract the jump from using the extra wattage. Also you have to understand as well I am not using all these light RIGHT NOW while letting my babies grow into it, I am giving exactly how much light is needed to fulfill the space they are using. Which considering I may only be using full on lighting the last half of my grow. How does that equal things out?

I think thats the main point here...we all have our own fine tuned methods. Tried and True. Of course we will fear what we havent felt. Im sure until you try to use CFLs learn our tactics, solve our problems, you will fear. And until I use more than one of those said 75W and actually do it right with some MH for veg HPS for flower. Use some cool tubes or like technique, I will fear putting my babies through the "locked in the car with no window cracked" feeling. But hey I may just change it up and put a smal HPS in there and see if I can solve the heat issue. Who knows!

However this poor guy wants some LED advice and here we are EDITEDITit all with talk of the exact opposite of lighting. We're a buncha a holes lol.

Sorry Dark!

AlkaloidContent said:
And see your right about all this too. 9" Thats some damn fine tuning lol. You have to have it all in tubes thats the only way that can be possible. I jjst dont have all the room for that. I mean the whole little extra cost isnt realizeable enough that switching the whole house to CFL, which this is a large house. Wouldnt counteract the jump from using the extra wattage. Also you have to understand as well I am not using all these light RIGHT NOW while letting my babies grow into it, I am giving exactly how much light is needed to fulfill the space they are using. Which considering I may only be using full on lighting the last half of my grow. How does that equal things out?

I think thats the main point here...we all have our own fine tuned methods. Tried and True. Of course we will fear what we havent felt. Im sure until you try to use CFLs learn our tactics, solve our problems, you will fear. And until I use more than one of those said 75W and actually do it right with some MH for veg HPS for flower. Use some cool tubes or like technique, I will fear putting my babies through the "locked in the car with no window cracked" feeling. But hey I may just change it up and put a smal HPS in there and see if I can solve the heat issue. Who knows!

However this poor guy wants some LED advice and here we are F**king it all with talk of the exact opposite of lighting. We're a buncha a holes lol.

Sorry Dark!

Nah. Were just posting. Every post good or bad contains some type of positive info, hopefully :)

PS. I dont use tubes on my bulbs either. Straight up butt naked. How I like it.

nouvellechef said:
Nah. Were just posting. Every post good or bad contains some type of positive info, hopefully :)

PS. I dont use tubes on my bulbs either. Straight up butt naked. How I like it.

:eek: Man you just pimpin them b*tches out aint ya lmao

Well I gotta say Im curious, I guess it just comes down to great air flow, real low intake, high exhaust, great circulation fans, powerfull fans too, I know they have to replace a certain amount of air for the amount of space every so often. Although your gonna have to post the specifics.

AlkaloidContent said:

However this poor guy wants some LED advice and here we are EDITEDITit all with talk of the exact opposite of lighting. We're a buncha a holes lol.

Sorry Dark!

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54867 <----- a thread discussing cfl/hid heat and costs and the 'misconceptions' too often and quoted
:confused2:

nouvellechef said:
yea, hoping it doesn't start another pissing match. But we must keep the people informed, right? :eek:

Well HIck I appreciate the link unfortunately I must respectfully decline. Yes we are all aware of the whole HID, CFL, LED lighting argument.

We all know HID is the best way to go. As I've said previously ALL factors involved lead those to the lighting they need. Alot of the factors that you dont consider for EVERYONE is perhaps a similar one to mine.

I cannot buy the most usefull HID ballasts in my area and WILL NOT order them online. PERIOD. Plus they are only 75W you must purchase HPS, MH ballast separate and they dont come with a bulb. For $70. Now I know 100-150 Lumens per watt HID and that is heaven compared to 60-70 Lumens per watt. IT TRULY IS....but given the entire picture for a grower HID really may NOT be the BEST answer. FOR THE SPECIFIC SITUATION.

However Sir I respect you as I do Nouvelle for your loyalty to HID however in this day and age one must think of alternative routes.

Im sure eyebrows rose when someone shouted "HEY! Im gonna take this plant and grow it inside, then Im gonna cut the top of it off, tie down all the branches, grow it through a screen, matter of fact Im gonna invent a machine that uses just water and no dirt." Im sure tempers flared when it began to work too....

I think you get my point...

Latest posts

Back