18sq ft. 6ft by 3 ft.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravishing_68

Reaction score
If my calculations are correct I could use 1 1000watt HPS light? but I would need a retangular reflector, probably air cooled, hood?? I've been reading my head off but still not certain. This is for the ebb & flow flowering chamber that Stoney bud is helping me with. Any ideas???

Nice size area, finally got my 1kw going on a light track in the same size area. I think one day, I would rather have 2 400's in there.

One 400 in there, with no additional fixture cooling, never went over 80 degrees. I put a 1kw in there with a 6 inch vortex and room did get hotter. 2 400's will give you additional head room too.

Ravishing_68 said:
If my calculations are correct I could use 1 1000watt HPS light? but I would need a retangular reflector, probably air cooled, hood?
Hey Rav, the formula for lighting is to aim for 5,000 lumens per/sq ft.

My 430 watt HPS Hortilux bulb produces 58,500 lumens. If I divide that by 5,000 lumens, I'll get the number of sq ft it will light properly. 11.7 sq ft.

I have 19 sq ft in my grow area, and I'm using the 4 unit Hydro system.

I'm using one 430 watt for now, while the plants are small, but I'll use 2 430 watt HPS for that area when growing a full plant canopy.

Two 430 watt Hortilux will give you 6,500 lumens per sq ft. . That is awesome lighting. Two 430's will give you a much better coverage than one 1,000 watt light, if you have the equipment. The 1,000 will work, but as Eman told you, that'll reduce your overall plant height.

Yes, you'll need to set up some kind of ventilation for your grow space. Over 90 degrees F, and the plants growth will slow to a crawl unless you use a chiller for the reservoir. The root temps are the most critical.

Good luck to you.

I am going to answer your pm here, hope you don't mind;) .

Let me first say that Stoney's DIY setup is 'beautifully reliable simplicity', I am only doing differently because I am a scientific idiot and have to experiment to stay entertained:rolleyes: :eek: . Big props to him.:aok: !

The DIY setup will be fairly tall, and depending on your max available height, and veg time, you could be pushed for headroom in a couple of months. At this time of year, many of us are having much less problems with temps, I am actually using my light fans on thermostats with open hoods to warm area. I just switched from a 400 to a 1000 in the same room, and I can tell you, there is no way I will be able to use this light in the summer (100+ temps) or ever run it without a fan (but 400 I can). You will probably gain at least 12" headroom, I think, with 2 400's. Light track takes several inches too.

Another thing to consider, which you touched on in your first post, is the 'reflected area' from your lights. A 1kw has been used successfully in all kinds of different sized rooms, but I think most would agree the area of maximum lighting is a 4x4 area, a 600 = 3x3, 400 = 2x2. Given your floor is 3x6, it would seem that even reflected, some light will be 'wasted or extra', I think everyone would agree, there is also a figure for maximum useable light also. When you consider the size of your containers, you may be closer to 24" wide. I feel 2 400's or 600's would workout better in the end.

I have yet to try the agrosun bulbs, but since I have to buy new bulbs one day anyway, I plan on switching to them then, kind of lessen initial costs.

Latest posts

Back