190 Proof Ethanol from scratch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tattered Old Graywolf

Acolyte in training
Reaction score
For those of ya'll medical patients with limited funds or where big brother is protecting you from yourself by proscribing ethanol above 150 proof, here is a way to make your own 190 proof ethanol for extraction and formulation from scratch:

10.19 190 Proof Ethanol from scratch

Attachments

• The batch.jpg
    The batch.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 6
  • First run 130.jpg
    First run 130.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Final distillation post desiccant.jpg
    Final distillation post desiccant.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 5
Hey, I was wondering. In your other piece you pulled 190 with the small pot, but were stymied when larger pot was used. You thought either a taller column or larger diameter reflux stack would be required. I bought 2" as well, probably should have got 3 or 4 inch diameter. All not lost I can buy a new top for my can for about 40 bucks with the larger size tri clamp thing.

Did you get the larger pot up to 190 with the 2 inch?

Bubba

Last edited:
Yes. I did a strip using the pot still, which got me 130 proof and then re-ran it with the column to get 190 proof.

I started with a 36" column and got 180 proof. I arbitrarily added another on hand 2' section to get it to 190 proof. 5' total stuffed with stainless pot scrubbers.

Cool I would like a larger column, but this will do if I can get 190.

That star San sounds harmful, but it insists to use it on food prep stuff, don't rinse and let dry. I guess it's ok once dry? Loading fermenter with 5 gallons of to to add star San, let it soak a couple minutes, dump and let dry? I suppose the distillation would rid the nasty, but since recommended for food prep tools, I guess it's ok once dry

Bubba

I rinse it out. I don't need it to protect the surfaces once clean, because I seal the carboy up after filling.

Last edited:
Sounds good. They say "dont rinse" but be this is a bit different. I feel better with a ro rinse. Plus, don't have to wait to dry.

Bubba

I rinse it out. I don't need it to protect the surfaces once clean, because I seal the carboy up after filling.
Just so much you can do, I understand putting the odds in my favor, but at the end of the day, The sugar and corn are not sterile, and the uncle jessies doesnt boil....

Bubba

I'm at about one burp per second. It's been three days.

Bubba
I saw a report on tv of a young man who sneezes 30 times per minute and the only way his parents can get him to stop is to put him in a closet. I don’t know which would be worse, burping once per second or sneezing every 2 seconds… ;)

It's slowed to one every 6 seconds. May go for it in a couple days. Starting to smell a little more like wine....still yeasty. But in beginning was like bread. I will pull off most of it leaving the remains along with yeast in the fermenter. Add more water and sugar, replace spent corn and it is will go again. Saturday will be 7 days.

Bubba

I got one of those big mouth carboys. Keeping 5-6 gallons of RO on hand when not in use.

First run went perfect, stripping run. Highly recommend this boiler. Very heavy, fast fast shipping. Nothing scorched to the bottom at all. Quick rinse and looked like new. Outstanding!

This stripping run will be dumped back in the next run with new mash ( not really mash) 7 more pounds of sugar along with 1 1/4 gallons of back set.

Bubba

Ommmmm,,I'm tellen. Damned old moonshiner.😁

Ommmmm,,I'm tellen. Damned old moonshiner.😁
I know you are joking but I don’t think it is illegal to make alcohol for personal use otherwise the sale of stills would be illegal. I am sure Bubba is up on that part of the law though better than I am.

Of course, I was kidding, but no it is not legal to make moonshine without a license. I did research on this very topic. Look it up and you will see,,so be careful.

https://moonshinedistiller.com/distilling-info/is-it-illegal-to-make-moonshine/

What you use the still for is where the legal issues start. It is legal to have a still for distilling water, distilling essential oils, decoration, etc. For these purposes, the still does not have to be registered and no specific permits are required. It is also perfectly legal to distil alcohol for use as fuel, but you do need an alcohol fuel producer permit. However, it is illegal to distil alcohol for consumption unless you have a Distilled Spirits Plant permit. It does not matter if the alcohol will not be sold and is only for personal consumption.

Of course, I was kidding, but no it is not legal to make moonshine without a license. I did research on this very topic. Look it up and you will see,,so be careful.

https://moonshinedistiller.com/distilling-info/is-it-illegal-to-make-moonshine/

What you use the still for is where the legal issues start. It is legal to have a still for distilling water, distilling essential oils, decoration, etc. For these purposes, the still does not have to be registered and no specific permits are required. It is also perfectly legal to distil alcohol for use as fuel, but you do need an alcohol fuel producer permit. However, it is illegal to distil alcohol for consumption unless you have a Distilled Spirits Plant permit. It does not matter if the alcohol will not be sold and is only for personal consumption.
Thanks. I was wrong but then again, I was growing weed when it was illegal to do so.

I know you are joking but I don’t think it is illegal to make alcohol for personal use otherwise the sale of stills would be illegal. I am sure Bubba is up on that part of the law though better than I am.
I looked at my state, looks like if 21 I can distill for personal use, no license. They are talking about fuel, but described "intoxicating liquor" at one point I doubt the fed agrees.....sort of like "legal" weed.....fed still frowns.....of course, many places don't allow cultivation or possession.

Latest posts

Back