1st Indoor/Auto Grow Journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McDoobie

The Great White Jamaican
Reaction score
After a few small outdoor tries, I am moving inside...still small, personal only. I am trying some 135w LED taotronic ufos. I am planning on 2 Mars 900w panels in the next 2 weeks. These germinated on 5/14 and are growing quickly.

I went with organic soil mix and some happy frog. I am noticing some leaves with spots, not sure if nute burn or a cal. deficiency? Any ideas? It is only 2 of the 4, all in the same soil mix.

Left 2 are Heavyweight: Fast and Vast, 2 on the right are an assorted mix of Buddha seeds.

View attachment 0530151259d_resized.jpg

View attachment 0530151258_resized.jpg

View attachment 0530151256b_resized.jpg

View attachment 0530151257b_resized.jpg

Green Mojo....my neck hurts from looking at those first 2 pics....:)

Yea, I'm still learning how to use the camera phone, lol.

hmm i suspect hot soil... just a thought

Thanks, that link will come in handy im sure.

I thought hot soil too, but all of the soil was mixed together at the same time and sat for about 14 days. Only 2 of the 4 have signs...so far. The one with the yellow areas on the bottom leaves, is also stunted in growth compared to the others, but that could also be the strain I think.

I don't think that 14 days is nearly long enough to let the soil "cook". I am thinking it is probably too hot, too.

Reactions: zem
Well here I am 5 weeks in and here are some new pics...I took soil samples and was about 5.8 ph in all 4 pots. I added some Lime and Iron a few days ago with no real changes at all, except soil is about 6.8 now. Leaves that were yellowing 2 weeks ago are still yellow, one plant took off (was an assorted Budda seed, think its a Sativa). Everything is going good so far, except for Gnats!!! Topped off the soil with a few inches of perilite and that seems to have stopped them for now.

Sorry for the sideways pics...thought I took them right this time, lol.

View attachment 618151.jpg

View attachment 618152.jpg

View attachment 618153.jpg

View attachment 618155.jpg

View attachment 618156.jpg

View attachment 618157.jpg

View attachment 618158.jpg

Here are a few of the yellowing leaves..first 4 pics are on the tall Sativa. Even yellowing, she is starting to flower nicely.

Last 3 are on the one that I was worried about in my first post, she has started to recover though. I have noticed the soil in that pot does not drain as well as the others, might be the reason I still have no idea as to why all the yellowing.

I will let them die and fall off naturally since these are autos and I dont want to cause any more stress, lol. Thanks for all your input and help!!!

View attachment 6181511.jpg

View attachment 6181512.jpg

View attachment 6181513.jpg

View attachment 6181514.jpg

View attachment 6181515.jpg

View attachment 6181516.jpg

View attachment 6181517.jpg

these are autos yes?

as far as the new pics go, the only issue I see is a lack of light....those things are stretching alot. Notice how far apart the nodes are on the stem.....nodes should be much tighter than that.

Yellowing of the bottom leaves is normal as the plant flowers and draws nutrients up to the top of the plant.

I have zero knowledge of leds.....but it just looks like you need more light on those girls.

FYI: before you upload photos to site...right click on them and rotate them. that will solve your issue with that.

Last edited:
How big is your space? I agree that you have a lot of stretch, but I am new to LEDs, too and do not grow autos. I can say though that I am running a 768W and a 700W for 15-18 sq ft.

Yes these are Autos...the only stretching is the very tall one and the one that started stunted, the new growth stretched past the sick leaves and has settled. It is strange since all the lights were at the same height and plants rotated through. Hence me thinking it might be a Sativa dominate strain.

The 2 Heavyweight: Fast and Vast are doing great, although one is a bit futher ahead than the other. Today is day 38, so I started feeding for the first time. Some 4-8-5 Happy Frog tea, 1/2 cup in 2 gallons of spring water and gave its plant a half gal.

I also took them outside this morning and will let them sit outside with me. Its a partly cloudy day, 75 degrees perfect for them. I think I am going to break down and order some Mars II lights, just not sure what size or how many yet. I put aside 7 bills for them.

My room size is 11x5x8, but with only 6 of those ufo lights (135w each) i have a footprint of about 4x3.

Actually, all of them are stretched. Check the distance on the internodal spacing. I think you a pushing your lights beyond what they will actually do (unfortunately, LED companies still really over exaggerate their coverage areas). I will be putting these into an 18 sq ft space and hope I have enough coverage.

I had them closer but thought they were to close and I went to 18 inches...maybe ill drop them to 10 and see if that helps.

Note: 3 inches of Perilite on top of the soil helps to prevent Gnats, but will grow mushrooms out of it, lol.

No, the lights do need to be a ways away when using LEDs. Most LEDs specify 18-24" from the canopy. You need more light, not the lights closer.

Latest posts

Back