1st Time grower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoDak

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot and im finally starting my FIRST grow. Im super excited. Im growing in my apartment (right now, thats my only option). I have already geminated my seed and have planted to seed. This is day 5 and my seed has already sprouted, in fact its about 2 inches long. So its about that time for me to get everything I need. I had the store clerk write me out everything I need and a quote. I just had a few questions to ask before I make my these purchases tomorrow. Im only starting with 3 seeds since Im a beginner.

The picture is of what the clerk wrote of the things need (its backwards tho) anyway.....

What dirt should I preferably get? (name possibly)

Are florescent bulb better?

Is a timer needed right now?

The tent im suppose to get is a 3x3 silver edition, its $259.99, is that price too much? if so, if I buy a cheaper tent, how will I know if the other items the clerk listed will fit properly with the new tent?

Thank you in advance!

Photo on 2011-10-29 at 21.22.jpg

is this a joke on someone? why post that knowing its not readable? you should read alot more before blowing your coin if you have no clue what it involves to complete a grow. read all the stickys here for starters. lots of invaluable info...

You are overpaying if you pay that price. Take his recommendations and browse ebay and craigslist for items. As a beginner, you really don't need the best of the best and handmedowns are less expensive. Unless you're one of the type that prefers everything brand new in the box, I see no reason for you to be paying that much for the things you need to start.

-nasty

What dirt should I preferably get? (name possibly)

I prefer Fox Farm Ocean Forest

Are florescent bulb better?

HO t-5's work great for veg, still would use a hps for flower

Is a timer needed right now?

I run my lights 24/ 7 in veg so I do not use a timer then. When in flower I use more timers

The tent im suppose to get is a 3x3 silver edition, its $259.99, is that price too much? if so, if I buy a cheaper tent, how will I know if the other items the clerk listed will fit properly with the new tent?
There are cheaper ones that work just as well, just check if there is enough openings for vents and ect. I would get a 4x4 tent.imo

You don't need the MH bulb, save money there. I'd not get the 400w, I'd go a 600w...you need 5000 lumens per sq' and while I believe the 400w will just push that, it won't make you happy!

Order or find a 6 bulb 4' T5 with veg bulbs for your vegging, this is what you need right now....NOW! lol You should have had this before starting those seeds, but as long as you are fast, you'll be ok! Put that light about an inch from the top of the seedling and giddyap! I say a 6 bulb 4' T5 because I have a feeling you plan to grow more and will appreciate the room under that light!

Actually, the time to get everything you needed was before you started a single seed. You should have a grow space set up and dialed in before you even germinate 1 seed. A 2" seedlings with no place to put it is not good. It sounds like it is stretching already.

I also think you are being ripped off--$830 is way too much for what you have there. In addition to that there is no real info on what you are getting. You have an inline duct fan listed--what brand is it, what type is it (centrifuge fans are great, duct booster fans are crap), how many cfms does it push, etc, etc.

ok, this is what im suppose to get tmrw morning is:

6" charcoal fiber filter
6" inline fan (400 cfm)
ultrasun aluminum 400w ballast
6" air cooled reflector
6" non-insulated air ducts
fox farm ocean forest soil
Maxlume metal halide bulb 400mh (42,000 lumens)
and
2x4 lighthouse tent (54.5x28"x78")

so what do u think, its a lil more detailed...

Nice list.

But I would go with a hps over a mH bulb(more lumens/watt, better for flower.) and would go with insulated duct over non-insulated.(less noise and cooler)

I would recommend getting some T5HO lights for vegging, but since you have the metal halide for the 400w ballast, you can use that and get the T5s later. The T5s are great for vegging young plants as the spectrum is better than the MH. I actually use both so that I get more varied spectrum of light. I hope the ballast that you bought is digital (electronic) versus the heavy thansformer/capacitor type as the digital ballasts can use either the MH or HPS bulbs without issue. You will need to get the HPS bulb for when you switch to flowering as they need the yellowish spectrum that comes from the HPS for proper flowering.

I agree with THG that you started your seeds too soon as it takes time and effort to set up a proper grow space, and getting it straight first b4 starting seeds would eliminate a lot of aggrivation, however you are going so you have to just roll with what you got.

I am not a soil grower but I know it has its challenges for new growers, so read all the info that you can on growing in soil. It is waaay more than just popping some seeds in dirt and sticking under a light. These plants are very exotic and are particular to the conditions that they need to grow properly and even more particular to the conditions needed to produce any kind of quality smoke. You will need to set up the soil properly and get supplimental nutrients for feeding the plants as they grow. Since you are planning on using FoxFarms' soil, then you should look at getting their nutes as well (don't use miracle grow fertilizer as it is not made for MJ).

Good luck to you. Read all you can, and green mojo for your first grow bro :)

He hasn't bought the MH yet and I'd suggest against it, go with the T5. As I said above, might look into the 600w as you'll surely appreciate the better lighting!

If you are trying to save money in hardware i would say for you to go just for a HPS. For the size you want a 400HPS is ok. You can use it in veg also, the growth is better and with the winter coming high temps shouldn't be a issue.

If you can i would suggest smartpots or airpots for your grow. The difference is huge and it is a small grow so it is worthy.

Good luck for your operation. Keep us updated :cool:

ok guys thanks a lot for the input. im about to go make these purchases. How soon will i need the nutes. I just discontinued my little seedling because like u yall said. I started too early. im ordering new seed today from attitude. just 3. I will keep you all updated and asked questions if i get confused along the way with reading. i appreciate ur help. thank u!

How soon will i need the nutes.

If using fox farm ocean forest not for about a month after the seedling sprouts

IMO, they want too much money for what you have there. Try to get them down on the price some.

A 6" fan, filter, and ducting should be under $200.
An air cooled 400W total setup should be below $200.
A 2 x 4 tent should be under $100.

I recommend getting insulated ducting and a speed controller.

You should be able to get everything for under $600 IMO.

You should veg with CFLs they work just fine for veg no matter what anyone else says i have been using them to veg for years now and had no problems...good luck

IMO, you shouldn't veg with CFLs if you have other options--CFLs are the least desirable lights to grow with and these are the reasons:

You can grow with CFLs and NO ONE here says you can't. The problem with CFLs is that they cost about 33% more to operate every single month than other types of light, they put out more heat, and they produce less bud. They cost the most to operate of all the lights we use for growing and they produce the least. These are the facts and are really not disputable.

If setting up a new grow I recommend T5s for vegging if you are going to buy lights for vegging. They put out about the same (or even a little more) lumens per watt than MH and run way cooler so plants can be right up next the the tubes. In addition, they spread the light better.

I have to agree with THG:aok:

Plus they are a whole lot easier to move if needed.

they are opinions I like to veg with CFLs and flower with HPS it works for me so I will continue to use them!!!

Latest posts

Back