1st Time grower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when seeds germ and the root sprout out, do you put root in facing down or up?

I never ever ever put the root facing up.

If the seed has popped and the root is sticking out, it has germinated (put the root facing down when planting in medium). Whether it continues to grow is dependent on a lot of factors.

In the sticky for germinating it say put root facing up in medium. That's wat I did. I guess that's y it didn't grow. I have to order new seeds today

I doubt that that is the reason that it did not grow. I always put the root facing down as I see no justification for the root to have to do a 180 and no one has ever been able to give me a reason that this is beneficial. Did it say to do this even if you have already germinated your seed and it has popped? I'll check the sticky out.

while plant is in veg, is it ok to trim some of the leaves/branches so light can reach the bottom os the plant?

if I were to cut or trim branches, would that harm the plant, seeing out it would now be exposed to al the elements n the tent?

You can do all the trimming you want while in veg. Unless the strain is genetically very weak, stress during veg will not affect the flowering plant.

That being said, you have to be careful and strategic about trimming up plants to get light deeper into the plant. The term "trimming" typically means removing leaves, and while this will not hurt the plant, it isn't recommended except in a few circumstances. Removing the fan leaves is like removing panels from a solar electricity generation system, you rob the plant of its ability to capture and utilize the light energy that it needs for producing the complex compounds that we enjoy so much.

If you are trying to achieve deeper penetration of light, there are different ways to do that. Trimming during veg, if done right will actually help the plant achieve deeper penetration and more bud sites during flower. One method is "topping" which will encourage the plant to create 2 branches where there was only 1 before. "Fim" is similar to topping and will encourage multiple tops to grow around the plant. Both of these techniques will make the plant more "bushy". Also tying down branches that are growing upward will spread out the growth of the plant and allow more light penetration.

I employ the use of 2 or more lights over a set of plants so that the light is hitting each plant from different angles, and this helps to prevent as much shading of a single light source.

Topping and Fimming are quite easy to do, and there are videos on you tube that will show you. There is also a technique known as "lolipopping" that you can use to create more air-flow space under the canopy of a plant that has grown big. With that you would remove select branches from the bottom of the plant that wouldn't get much light during flower.

I hope this helps. If you need more help with it, just ask :)

I fed my plants this Saturday 11.30.13. The feeding kinda flowed thru the plant and out quite fast. The olants are in starter pots and I believe it ready for transition into bigger 3 or 5 gallon pots (I have both sizes). The babies have been in their starter pots for three wks and one day.

My question is, would I cause tremendous disruption to the plant if I transplant it into bigger pots this upcoming tuesday, seeing how I just fed them this past Saturday?

I have some blue dream growing and using botanicare nutes, do anyone know if this is a great line to use on this strain? I typically use a lower doasge than what is recommended. I found that when I follow it exactly, myoplants began to turn yellow and brown.

Also, is two months long enough to veg and flower or should I extend it?

Thanx in advance.

first off as long as you havnt done any topping, fimming, or trimming within the past week or 2 then theres no reason the transplant would hurt, simply transplant into the new home, fewer transplants is better on the plant so you may want to just jump to the 5gal pots right away, just remember after they are in their new homes all cozey and tucked in nicely give them a little watering of just plain pHed water.

as for length of veg thats dependent on a few things, mainly YOU, the longer you veg the larger it will be, there for with proper training you can increase the yield quite a bit, as i said proper training, if you top or fim or even prune (trimming leaves and branches to let light penetrate deeper) you MUST give them a week or 2 to recover before you do any other topping, fimming or pruning, now with tying branches down you can do that when ever, its actually very low stress as long as you dont force branches down causing them to break, slow bending, tie to a point and later you tighten up those ties to pull the branches down more after they have adjusted to their new positon. when it all comes down to it make sure you give them at least 2 weeks to recover from any topping, fimming, or pruning before you put them into flower, if they arnt recovered fully you will have problems in flower. but all in all its up to you on how long you veg for, i know people who swear on 2 month vegs and other who simply take them to 25 day reguardless if from seed or clone, so its all up to you in the end.

It doesn't really matter which way you put it in nature will take over and sort it out.

Latest posts

Back