1st Time Hydro Grower Needs Some Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are you checking your pH? I used Dyna Grow when I first started hydro because it came free with the first setup I bought. I quit using it because it did not do a good job. PH was one of the problems. How are you checking you pH? If you are using a meter, is it calibrated?

The Hemp Goddess said:
How are you checking your pH? I used Dyna Grow when I first started hydro because it came free with the first setup I bought. I quit using it because it did not do a good job. PH was one of the problems. How are you checking you pH? If you are using a meter, is it calibrated?

Yes THG. I have a ph meter and I ph everything! However, "EVERYTIME" (and I can't empathize that enough) I check my hydro ph it's always between 5.8-5.9.

It isn't the Dyna Gro "Grow" nutient that causes this. I spoke with a top guy named Jason over at Dyna Gro and he said that it's actually the Dyna Gro "Protekt" that causes this. When added to the water 1st, it stabalizes the water and bonds all nutrients correctly and causes the ph to maitain its level at or around the mark.

I'll post something later on this.

So......... although I never have to do any ph adjustments, i still check it. The other thing I love about the Dyna line is that their nutes are CLEAR so you can always see whats transpiring in your rez. Just another benefit.

And thanks HushPuppy. I appreciate that help. And yes, while I'll be micromanaging everything, I'm just going to play it safe and stay at a low but efficient nute rate. At least until I get some experience with what strains like what.

But the girls are looking good! My cuttings are looking good and the Blue Widow and Tangerine Dream beans cracked. Time to put them in some grodan cubes.

Pics to come!!!!!

Well, here's a page on Dyna Gro nutes. This was a long comparrison between Dyna Gro and GH. For all of you doing hydro and don't want to keep adjusting your ph, Dyna Gro is the way to go! I NEVER have to adjust my ph!!!

Happy reading!!!

Sorry about that. I've been gone for a few days.

Here's one comparrison with dyna gro....

rollitup.org/grow-journals/429438-dyna-gro-vs-advanced-nutrients.html

just add the normal www. before te address

Definatly a good read.

okay everyone.... sorry that i've been gone so many days. had a family
crisis. mom passed away so things have been really crazy.

I know, I know.... THIS POST NEEDS PICS!!!!

Yeah, I feel the same way. Haven't had any time recently, as I'm just getting
back home. However, there is much to report. ALL PLANTS AND CUTTINGS ARE DOING FANTASTIC!!! The New York 47 has tons of branches screaming to be cuttings! Pics to come tomorrow.

I also have something else to report. I'll be moving come the end of this month. I'll be moving "WAY" north! Canadian boarder north. Some of you
know where I live now, so you guys might think I'm nuts. HOWEVER.... it
is a necessary move, ad one that will give me much more privacy and a
bit more room. And more (much more) peace of mind. My current neighbor
is a cop! And up where I'm going I have no neighbor really.

So.... I'm off to a colder climate and a higher one too I'm guessing. Now I'm
sure I'm going to have to revamp my growing techniques to compensate for
the difference I'm thinking??? Anybody know???

Anyways...... I'll post some pics here soon.

Well the good thing there is that you will only have to concentrate your efforts on maintaining warmth within the grow room as opposed to fighting heat in the summer months and cold in the winter. It's a challenge to ballance both of the temp swings. Much mojo for your move and resetup. :)

LOL--just because you are north doesn't mean that you do not have summer heat. I live in the mountains in the northern part of the US. I can gets temps of 110 in the summer and -20 in the winter. I have entirely different ventilation setups for winter and summer.

Yeah, I know it's a challenge to get both straight without having to always change things up. I would think up around Canada way high oppressive heat would be a rare event. Then again with global warming one never knows what will come next. :)

Budsterman said:
okay everyone.... sorry that i've been gone so many days. had a family
crisis. mom passed away so things have been really crazy.

I know, I know.... THIS POST NEEDS PICS!!!!

Yeah, I feel the same way. Haven't had any time recently, as I'm just getting
back home. However, there is much to report. ALL PLANTS AND CUTTINGS ARE DOING FANTASTIC!!! The New York 47 has tons of branches screaming to be cuttings! Pics to come tomorrow.

I also have something else to report. I'll be moving come the end of this month. I'll be moving "WAY" north! Canadian boarder north. Some of you
know where I live now, so you guys might think I'm nuts. HOWEVER.... it
is a necessary move, ad one that will give me much more privacy and a
bit more room. And more (much more) peace of mind. My current neighbor
is a cop! And up where I'm going I have no neighbor really.

So.... I'm off to a colder climate and a higher one too I'm guessing. Now I'm
sure I'm going to have to revamp my growing techniques to compensate for
the difference I'm thinking??? Anybody know???

Anyways...... I'll post some pics here soon.

Sorry to hear about your loss bro.....family and friends passing is never easy.

Hamster Lewis said:
Sorry to hear about your loss bro.....family and friends passing is never easy.

Thanks Hammy. Yeah, this was the hardest yet. She was the biggest person
in my life. But the cycle will continue and I'll be stepping up to that plate in the not so near future (I hope!) as will everybody else. It just becomes so much more realistic when you're older. Not like when I was a kid and death wasn't even a consideration.

Yeah Hush.... I'm wondering what the temps will be like. But this house I got is like brand new! The heating system is forced air that comes from the floor vents, with a brand new heating sysem. I'm considering insulating the outter wall of the room ( a 2nd insulation barrier ) to block out the heat signature from outside.

I'm also wondering what the water is going to be like up there being that the house is on a well. There's a brand new water softener, but I don't know if that helps me or just adds more salt to the water??? Anyone know??

THG..... I know there's summer up there. Even though it comes later in the year. I'm just wondering if the higher altitude is going to affect my girls when i move them.

Hey...... Does anybody know if drug sniffing dogs can hit on a non flowering mom in transport???? PLEASE let me know!!!!

Anyway....... Let me go take some pics.

You might want to look into an RO system if your water turns out to be a problem. Might even want to hve it tested if you hve the cash....look forward tot the pics.

Budsterman said:
Thanks Hammy. Yeah, this was the hardest yet. She was the biggest person
in my life. But the cycle will continue and I'll be stepping up to that plate in the not so near future (I hope!) as will everybody else. It just becomes so much more realistic when you're older. Not like when I was a kid and death wasn't even a consideration.

Yeah Hush.... I'm wondering what the temps will be like. But this house I got is like brand new! The heating system is forced air that comes from the floor vents, with a brand new heating sysem. I'm considering insulating the outter wall of the room ( a 2nd insulation barrier ) to block out the heat signature from outside.

I'm also wondering what the water is going to be like up there being that the house is on a well. There's a brand new water softener, but I don't know if that helps me or just adds more salt to the water??? Anyone know??

THG..... I know there's summer up there. Even though it comes later in the year. I'm just wondering if the higher altitude is going to affect my girls when i move them.

Hey...... Does anybody know if drug sniffing dogs can hit on a non flowering mom in transport???? PLEASE let me know!!!!

Anyway....... Let me go take some pics.

Softened water generally is not good for plants. However, if you are on well water, it is probably not a softener, but a water treatment system. Plumbing codes generally require that the kitchen sink cold water and the outside hose bibs be left untreated. Test your water when you get there so you know the ppms.

I do not believe that the change in latitude and altitude will affect your plants. How far north are you going to be?

Yes, a drug dog can hit on a non-flowering plant.

If your mom isn't too big you could put it in a big plastic tote that is turned up on its side. At the same time pack lots of "stuff" like clothes and nic-nacks and house stuff, maybe some dry food stuff. Then before going anywhere go to the pet store and get some activated charcoal and pour it into the bottom of the tote where the plant will sit then tape all the totes with duct tape before leaving.

Place the plant tote in the middle of the pile and bury it with the other totes and stuff that is getting moved to the new house. In the event that you are stopped and inspected, they start looking at all the "stuff", you offer to open everything and as they see just stuff and how long it takes to untape and open everything, they will turn you loose before getting to the plant tote.

That is what I would do. Or you could get even more elaborate with it if you want by going to clones that can be more easily hidden within a compartment for several hours without issue.

On the water??? I would absolutely have it tested and not use the softened water for the plants as that is usually done with salt, which is the enemy of good growing. The well water may not be bad for them. My new stealth cabinets are on well that has TDS of 55 and PH of 6.8. :D you may get lucky.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Softened water generally is not good for plants. However, if you are on well water, it is probably not a softener, but a water treatment system. Plumbing codes generally require that the kitchen sink cold water and the outside hose bibs be left untreated. Test your water when you get there so you know the ppms.

I do not believe that the change in latitude and altitude will affect your plants. How far north are you going to be?

Yes, a drug dog can hit on a non-flowering plant.

Thanks THG.... I didn't know if the dogs could pick up on it.
Also... I'm not sure if it's a water treatment system or if that's just
what you call water ofeners. They have a big container of what looks
like salt. I'll post a pic of it when I move in.

Okay everyone. Sorry for the long wait. Things have just been pure crazy
over here with everything.

So these are my soil ladies. They're in their 9th & 10th weeks. They're all autos by the way. I've got some AK-47's, Blue Himalaya Diesel, Russian Rocket Fuel, and Speedy Gonzalez.

I'll post some better pics of them this week. I'll be watering them once more and then I'm chopping most of them down 2 days later. Some of these autos turned out to be monsters!!!

Okay, never mind. Pics don't fit and I don't know how to resize them.

budsterman download Picasa 3, its free and realy damn easy to use. Itll re size any picture you want.

Ya or you can just use paint which is super easy just go to Image at the top then stretch/skew reduce horizontal and veritcal both to 25% and voila.

Okay, thanks guys. I figured it out so here we go.

These are pics of my current soil gow.

IMAG0103 (478x800).jpg

IMAG0104 (478x800).jpg

IMAG0106 (478x800).jpg

IMAG0107 (800x478).jpg

IMAG0109 (800x478).jpg

This one is a Russian Rocket Fuel. She's a BEAST!!! I'd say she's gonna
push 2.5-2.75 ounces. That's huge for an auto!!!

IMAG0108 (478x800).jpg

Latest posts

Back