2 weeks 2 days and still no roots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaz1873

Reaction score
my clones have been in the propagator 2 weeks 2 days now and they still havent rooted through the small cubes..i had a 400 watt hps on them for a week but i got told id best get some cfl's on them for rooting stages (got two 20 watt cfl's) there still looking healthy though :) is this longer than normal??

some pics for u

DSC01278.JPG

DSC01279.JPG

DSC01280.JPG

DSC01281.JPG

jaz1873 said:
my clones have been in the propagator 2 weeks 2 days now and they still havent rooted through the small cubes..i had a 400 watt hps on them for a week but i got told id best get some cfl's on them for rooting stages (got two 20 watt cfl's) there still looking healthy though :) is this longer than normal??

some pics for u
Hey jaz, they look kinda cooked. For cloning, a 400 is way too much unless you have it about 4 feet from the clones. CFL's are much more friendly to clones. Can you start some more? From the looks of those, I doubt you'll get roots from them. You can always leave them and start some new ones as well.

About 15 days should produce plently of roots.

Good luck man!

Stoney Bud said:
Hey jaz, they look kinda cooked. For cloning, a 400 is way too much unless you have it about 4 feet from the clones. CFL's are much more friendly to clones. Can you start some more? From the looks of those, I doubt you'll get roots from them. You can always leave them and start some new ones as well.

About 15 days should produce plently of roots.

Good luck man!

really! when i did have the 400 watt hps it was 4 foot or more away from the clones..hope the are not ruined :(

jaz1873 said:
really! when i did have the 400 watt hps it was 4 foot or more away from the clones..hope the are not ruined :(
I thought you had the light closer. The clones look a little cooked. Have they remained good and moist the entire time? No dry outs at all? If so, they may live. You'll have to wait and see. They should have roots on at least a couple by now.

Stoney Bud said:
I thought you had the light closer. The clones look a little cooked. Have they remained good and moist the entire time? No dry outs at all? If so, they may live. You'll have to wait and see. They should have roots on at least a couple by now.

yeah theve looked healthy the whole time and humidity was good to..had the cfl's on them for a week at about 1/2 foot above the propagoter lid..moved then down to 2/3 inches today..the cubes are like still wet from over a 2 weeks ago only put a little more water on them..is this maybe the cause??

heres my journal Stoney Bud http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7554

jaz1873 said:
yeah theve looked healthy the whole time and humidity was good to..had the cfl's on them for a week at about 1/2 foot above the propagoter lid..moved then down to 2/3 inches today..the cubes are like still wet from over a 2 weeks ago only put a little more water on them..is this maybe the cause??

heres my journal Stoney Bud http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7554
After looking a little closer, I noticed you left a little more leaf on each clone than I do. While developing roots, clones need very little green leaf. Too much will make the transpiration too fast and the plant will try to support the leaf instead of making roots.

I trim all but one fan leaf and I leave the new growth. I had the same reaction when I tried leaving too much leaf on the clones. Try snipping off one more fan leaf from each clone. It may help them start rooting.

However, they may already be too far gone.... We'll see I guess.

Stoney Bud said:
After looking a little closer, I noticed you left a little more leaf on each clone than I do. While developing roots, clones need very little green leaf. Too much will make the transpiration too fast and the plant will try to support the leaf instead of making roots.

I trim all but one fan leaf and I leave the new growth. I had the same reaction when I tried leaving too much leaf on the clones. Try snipping off one more fan leaf from each clone. It may help them start rooting.

However, they may already be too far gone.... We'll see I guess.

can u save one of my pictures and put a line to " what fan leaf i leave on " and what do u mean " to far gone " sorry man :)

jaz1873 said:
can u save one of my pictures and put a line to " what fan leaf i leave on " and what do u mean " to far gone " sorry man :)
Here ya go man. The size the new growth in the middle of the pic I used is plenty big enough for the plant to use for rooting.

That's the amount of leaf mass you want. Enough to provide some photosynthesis and slight transpiration, but not enough to take away from root development.

Do you understand?

cloneLeaf.JPG

Stoney Bud said:
Here ya go man. The size the new growth in the middle of the pic I used is plenty big enough for the plant to use for rooting.

That's the amount of leaf mass you want. Enough to provide some photosynthesis and slight transpiration, but not enough to take away from root development.

Do you understand?

so i just cut off the big ones..just keep the leaves and the smaller leaves in the middle of the stem??where do i cut them off??at the end of there branch thats on the stem..how long then before my clones should be rooted Stoney Bud??:confused:

jaz1873 said:
so i just cut off the big ones..just keep the leaves and the smaller leaves in the middle of the stem??where do i cut them off??at the end of there branch thats on the stem..how long then before my clones should be rooted Stoney Bud??:confused:
Ha! Those smiley faces crack me up!
Yes, the new growth and one set of small leaf should be enough to root a plant. Make sure your rooting area of the stem is moist and totally dark at all times. This is where the roots will first start to develop. If excess light or not enough moisture happens, then clones can die quickly. The same is with heat or fert overdose. Nothing but water for clones. Unless you use a hormone and/or antibacterial solution. Regular ferts will destroy a clone fast.

You want to use a sharp pair of scissors or an exacto knife or razor...and cut the base of the stem being removed. Very gently with your current clones. Those excess leaves are hurting them now. Once they're off, in about 12-24 hours, you should see them stand taller and look better if they're going to survive. If not, heck, they're only little tiny ones. Start some more and chalk it up to learning. We've all done that.

Stoney Bud said:
Ha! Those smiley faces crack me up!
Yes, the new growth and one set of small leaf should be enough to root a plant. Make sure your rooting area of the stem is moist and totally dark at all times. This is where the roots will first start to develop. If excess light or not enough moisture happens, then clones can die quickly. The same is with heat or fert overdose. Nothing but water for clones. Unless you use a hormone and/or antibacterial solution. Regular ferts will destroy a clone fast.

You want to use a sharp pair of scissors or an exacto knife or razor...and cut the base of the stem being removed. Very gently with your current clones. Those excess leaves are hurting them now. Once they're off, in about 12-24 hours, you should see them stand taller and look better if they're going to survive. If not, heck, they're only little tiny ones. Start some more and chalk it up to learning. We've all done that.

ill trim of the leaves i dont need..cheers stoney bud...hope they are not ruined :mad: let u know in a few days if they looking any better..

what is the name of those squares where you got jour plants in ??

had a look at them with my mates whos plants it is and he said they look really healthy :) its just that they are cold as its in an attic..might look into getting a heated propagator..

Latest posts

Back