2 weeks old:should be bigger?got pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, mojo.

~ you might try insulating your res, this could be as simple as doubling up on the rubbermaid bin. or maybe one big,one small w/ sand in between the two? fishtank glass good insulent rubbermaid not. shade as well. if you were to have the res outside the room with youre cooler, you would probably keep things very cool indeed, just a bit of extra hose and apapters. Wish i knew you were on a 24 hour marathon, ahh well. Look into his comment about the film. http://members.ozemail.com.au/~accent/fivesys/fsys0009.htm (note comments and the reference to the "film" being just water w/ nutrients at a specific angle) there is good muck and bad muck. i wouldnt assume it is good.
i read that 3 degrees is the optimal slope for an nft system, i read this in an agricultural magazine, some time ago, this may or may not be true. but i just had my memory jogged that the slope is important. your system may be perfect, but what about the floor?

Thanks Mario. Checked out that link and it was helpful. I have shimmed underneath one end ofthe two trays to create a slight downward slope towar dthe drains, hope fully it might make a difference. I am using an 84gph pump (adjustable flow, but has been maxed out since I started), that came with the system. I recently bought a slightly larger pump rated at around 130gph as a spare/back-up, but I'm wondering if maybe I should go to that as my main one and keep the smaller as a spare. I'd like to put the res outside the grow room, but it would be a bit difficult to accomplish (the drain is the big problem), and I'm not sure the pump has enough lift to go the distance. These are all issues I suppose I could experiment with, see what happens.
What do you think about mylar wrapped around the res? I was thinking it would at least reflect some of the light and heat, I don't know.
You had mentione that you weren't aware I was on 24/0 light cycle. Should I have been on 18/6 all along? I know there are always 2 schools of thought on that.
Mojo

Id go for the big pump , pumps are a large sourse of heat,
if you were to buy a Magdrive, 250, or 350, you can actually have youre pump outside the water.This way,less water is heated by the pump. A mag drive has all the threaded ends needed for standard P.v.C type couplers. all you will need is hose, and hose apapters
Mylar would work,.Probably even help on the drain and supply lines.
Better than mylar would be pipe insulation, there are standard sizes available. I think you have 1".
For the res, hmm, id probably double up the bins, and wrap it with ducting insulation. In the second or outter bin, drill some drain holes, so condensation can collect at the bottom, and drain.Use the lid as a water catcher.( alota work eh?)
If water sits and stagnates between the res and the insulation, molds and fungi move in.

( still would benifit from being outside the room, as your home is airconditioned, and you can adjust food while they sleep without disturbing t) but if thats not practicle, it simply isnt. stupid drain!

~ here is a few shots of my res, the coil at the bottom actually has cold, well water pumped through it and then back into the ground. One example of a working res............ all the rust colored crap is just little chunks of hydroton.

this just to let you know of what one guy did.,. the other pic is an old pump i had jimmyrigged in a similar fashion to what i described earlier..

as for light cycle, i just do my best to copy nature. ZZZzzzzzzzz. ~

i.jpg

mojo resise.jpg

cj_45828.jpg

coil shot.jpg

Cool ideas, Mario, I will research the logistics and let you know what I am able to accomplish. Great pics. Your system looks a great deal more hight tech than mine! Here are some pics taken only moments ago...
How do they look for just shy of 3 weeks? (not to mention the long, strange trip I've taken them on...)
Lower leaves still look nasty, but new stuff seems okay. They seem to like the 18/6 cycle so far.
Adios,
Mojo

day 20 001.jpg

day 20 002.jpg

fatjoint.jpg

lol that be a joint! they look like lovely stout babies to me. plz keep me posted.

Here are some more shots of my setup, not really all that high tech just rubbermaid bins,(and 2 years of trial and error). my little ones are not ready to go in yet, ill show you them later. i only do maybee 3 indoor crops a year, as work gets in the way. here are more pics, note the barell filter, this ensures your lines stay clear of debris, the filter lasts forever and cost about 20 bucks.
Peace
Mario.

overview of res.jpg

filter close up.jpg

longer shot..jpg

Latest posts

Back