2 x 400w overkill?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panic in paradise

meditaker/cultivator
Reaction score
atm i have a 3 week flowering purple ice, a blue berry at 2 weeks, and another purple ice that started today. i am using a 400w hps with a wing in a 2x3ish circular space.

the second lamp is a cool breeze reflector 6" with a 400w swithchable mh/hps, i am currently using that to veg. i had been using all fluros before, and still do while the halid cools.

so, would using a 2nd 400 watter be worth it? or should i have more like 6 plants in(hmm 2 months..) also drum roll.... if it seems woth it it now, or when it is, should i use both hps and halide or all hps?

Edit: the space can be expanded to 4.5x5.5.

:cool:

panic in paradise said:
atm i have a 3 week flowering purple ice, a blue berry at 2 weeks, and another purple ice that started today. i am using a 400w hps with a wing in a 2x3ish circular space.

the second lamp is a cool breeze reflector 6" with a 400w swithchable mh/hps, i am currently using that to veg. i had been using all fluros before, and still do while the halid cools.

so, would using a 2nd 400 watter be worth it? or should i have more like 6 plants in(hmm 2 months..) also drum roll.... if it seems woth it it now, or when it is, should i use both hps and halide or all hps?

Edit: the space can be expanded to 4.5x5.5.

mornign dude.. you answered your own question... keep the 400w in the 6sqft.. not worth to put 800w in 6sqft "overkill" big time.. waste of power.. thats just my honest opinion... lol.... now down the road plan for a few more plants and a bigger area yes go. for it... but i strongly beleive if you can acomplish 5000-6000 lumens per sqft your good.. no need to add more unless your growing huge trees and what not..
that space you have in your edit section lol to big for 2 400w.. you need atleast 5000 lumens per sqft to flower..
LH

heheh

oh okay, no complaints realy, i just acquired this light and thought, hmm power!

oh well, ill just give 'em the extra strrreeetch and bulk in veg ;)

t/y

expand it dude ;)

zem said:
expand it dude ;)

2 400W HPS lights will not be enough light to flower in his "expanded" dimentions... thats 24.75 sqft.. out of 100,000= 4040L/sqft to a max of 110,000= 4444L/sqft not enough why would you tell him to expand when he will be short light??
LH

LH you're right 800 watt is too little for 24.75sqft but too much for 2x3. i didnt mention how much to expand it i just thought he should make it bigger to make use of his 2nd light :) like 16sqft would be good ;)

To some no... to some that would be great to have.. and others just dont care as long as its over 5000..
ME personally thats enough.. i run 6875L/sqft to 8125L/sqft and to me thats way more then enough.. personal preference i guess..
LH

I use two 400w with 9 sq ft. Works just fine for me. Ive been doing that for years.

thanks for the responses :)

i am considering moving my flower room into my much larger veg room, adding a partition of visqueen(sp) that i can raise and lower; allowing the lights to overlap.

i have been given the chance to realy show my shine, and clone and veg for a "collective" providing mmj. im very nervous, and on a crash course learning spree, but thats all understood.

i have the lamp roughly 3' from the floor, with 2 4' t12's on either side as well - in a 3x4 area that is not contained on one side, and allowed to spill out to smaller acclimating clones and propagation container.

the girls look very health, thick waxy hardened leaves and noticeable growth, but they arent growing as tall or as fast as i expected, i did just go from hydro to organic soil, but should i raise the light? the light i very cool, i can almost put my hand to the lens.

i have been using high P, and dropped a layer of worm cast top soil on recently, but. they're just not popping right...

they should be all be at least 8" by now.

Latest posts

Back