24 hour darkness during drying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FutbolGuy024

Reaction score
At the recommendation of this forum, it is my first harvest and I am cutting branches at different times to see which phase of tricomb progress produces the effect I’m seeking. The ? is...why must I keep cut branches in 24 hour darkness, will it hurt if I hang in tent that is 12/12 w/plants? Thanks in advance for your replies!

My plants are in the dark after harvest. Dark and cool for drying and curing. Hang in my basement, with a fan across the room on low. After drying, into glass jars stored inside totes on the basement floor. Have stored weed for 2 and 3 years this way. Some loss of flavor, but not potency.

I've cut branches into manageable pieces maybe a foot long, and hung them up in the shaded part of my flower room, near the ceiling for decades. Up above the light canopy. Never in direct HID light. It's worked fine for me. The flower room has high air exchange, constinuously moving air, and quite constant temperatures. Which are ideal for initial drying. Once the fully trimmed branches snap when you bend them, the buds are removed, and go directly into quart mason jars for a jar cure.

The plant will still continue to metabolize as if it were growing if left exposed to your grow lights after cutting. They won't miraculously keep growing nor will the buds get fatter, but the process of drying is best in a dark environment. Doesn't need to be light tight like your flower room, but darkness is good. Either way can be done with similar results, but one is the "preferred practice" for reasons known to the experts.

@ Chad...if the plant is exposed to light during the drying period several here have opinions on this. I have two theories. First, the plant will continue to produce chlorophyll when exposed to light and ultimately it makes the smoke harsh and hot on the back of the throat. Next, the product is just better. Bigger more potent buds.

This is what I have been told for years and frankly I couldn't tell you if there is a difference because I have always done it the way the experts said to.

@putembk I'd agree on the chlorophyl statement, encouraging that production when your goal is to remove it from the plant is counterproductive.

I'm not sure how it would add to potency, but I'm not a scientist, nor do I have scientific backing on this subject. I do know that the trichomes continue to mature on the plant during the drying process, but I thought this was regardless of light or dark.

It's a really good question that might not make a significant difference. I'd just prefer to have the plants know that their time is done, instead of still eating the strong light and trying to work while drying. A lot of room for personal preference in this hobby.

Again, I don't know but what I have heard. Main thing for me is it I like the way it comes out. I judge that by what my circle of friends tell me. IMO, that is the true test of how your final product turns out. Pepsi challenge is where the rubber meets the road.

Man, I love you... I agree with the ultimate test, the smoke test. But the fact that you referenced the Pepsi Challenge, its why I love you man.

Latest posts

Back