250 or 400 watt HPS???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbak67

bobbak67
Reaction score
I know that more is better, BUT, heat is also an issue!!

I'm looking at two setups with remote ballasts. Im in a closet with an intake and exhaust and vent port in the center. Average temps are from the low 60 f - low 70's f. What do you all suggest as I cannot cool the cab off any more than it already is.......also will put a 9" fan blowing directly on the bulb.

Thanks for the input, Will be ordering as soon as I get some reoplies!! :cool:

F'ing stoked!​

I have the same issues, what I did was buy a powerful extractor fan. I put the intake coming in from the outside in shade. I hope this helps. I use 600w hps for flowering.

Ya my intake is also in full time shade, I dont think I will have a problem during winter....I might just go for it!!!

i have a 400w hps in a closet 4x2x7 and my temps with one 50cfm exhaust fan and two 2 1/2 in ports at the bottom of the door are 78-80 degrees.

cyberquest said:
i have a 400w hps in a closet 4x2x7 and my temps with one 50cfm exhaust fan and two 2 1/2 in ports at the bottom of the door are 78-80 degrees.

Thats it...Im getting the 400 watter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks all wish me luck.

Depending on the size of your closet it's gonna get pretty hot in there. Running 4x2x7 the same size as cyberquest or close to it and am in a serious battle with heat temps reaching as high as 105. Installed
250cfm exhaust to bring cool air in and that just knocked it back to 90 or so. Hope this gives you a good idea. Good Luck.

FP:cool:

yeah frank is probably right, each closet is gonna have different elements that make it hotter or colder.
its winter time here and the back bedrooms stay pretty cool. come summer time when its 80 degrees outside i might have major heat problems like frank does. but so far so good.

Would a 250 give off enough lumens for my 3x5x (7 high) cabinet grow?

I have a 400 watter in a 3X3X7 closet about. No exhaust at all. I just leave the closet door ajar a bit. The temperature gets to about like 86 degrees. From what Ive learned its ok as long as its not over 90 degrees F. Otherwise you'll need to add CO2.

25ow would give off around 33,000 lumes

your room is 3x5 = 15 square ft.

33,000/15= 2200 lumens per square foot of canopy.

they say 3000 is best for veg, and i think 5000 for flower.

will a plant grow under 2200 lumens, YES, will it grow to its max potential, NO.

from what i have seen with the lights a 250w will run you about the same as a 400w. you area is larger then mine so i dont think your heat temps would be too bad. my ballast could be mounted outside the room, the ballast gets hot too, mines mounted in the room so there is added heat from that.

with my light running all day i can still touch the top of the reflector with my bare hand, its almost cool above the light.

at first i would just crack my door too to let in cool air and it stayed around 80 degress. mine only got hot when i closed the closet door completly and lreduced incoming cool air.

I dont really have the luxury of opening the door while the light is on, I do however have good air flow through the cabinet!

thats your key, getting hot air out, and fresh cool air in, its always better to think overkill in cooling fans, you can always hook a low budget speed controller up to it and slow it down or speed it up to control temps.

Thats a really good point, I think Im going to go with the 400 watter then. I can deal with the summer heats when they come!
Thanks CyberQ

i knoticed today that my temps were a little higher then normal, it was about 60degrees outside, so i think i might battle with heat temps more in the summer myself.

but they have many inline fans that are compact and have high CFM (cubis feet per minute) so upgrading my fan is better then having a light that will fall short on making my plants grow good.

Latest posts

Back