250W Power Usage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AusToker

Reaction score
i live in australia and was wonderin how much does it cost to run a 250w light for 24 hours, 12/12, 18/6? i stilll live at me mums and i showed her my setup yesterday cause wen i unplugged the HPS the power went out LOL. she is naging about the power usage. plz any info would help

AusToker

AusToker said:
i live in australia and was wonderin how much does it cost to run a 250w light for 24 hours, 12/12, 18/6? i stilll live at me mums and i showed her my setup yesterday cause wen i unplugged the HPS the power went out LOL. she is naging about the power usage. plz any info would help

AusToker
Whats up AusToker. There is a way to figure it out but i can't remember. I will look around and see if i can find it.

To estimate the cost of running a bulb, first locate your electric bill rate in the Killowatt-hours from your electric bill. Rates range anywhere from $.07 to $.11/kwh or higher depending on where you live.

Now calculate the amount of power your HPS system will draw. The ballast for an HID will add another 15% on the top of the lamps rated wattage.

400 x 1.5 = 460

(Note- Digital ballasts are a bit more efficient- check the manufactures specifications). Convert watts to killowatts by dividing by 1000.

400/1000 = .46

Multiply this times your rate to find out how much it costs to run your system for one hour. (well use $.10/kwh as an example)

.46 x .1 = $.046

Now calculate the number of hours your system will be running in a given month. In veg you might run the system 24 hours a day and in flowering just 12. Multiply this number by the hourly rate above. (Assumes a 30 day month)

24hrs/day x 30 days x .046 = $33.12
12hrs/day x 30 days x .046 = $16.56

Hope this helps ya out my friend.

thanks alot guys this has helped very much i hope me mum will stop naggin now. and i can finally get my grow started

thanks AusToker

Don't forget, in some areas you have a "baseline" on the amount of power you can use before the price goes up. It should say on the power bill.

Latest posts

Back