250w Q

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AusToker

Reaction score
how far away does a 250w light hav to be from the plants?

about 6-8 inches, personally i had my 430watt 8 inches away from my plants and had absolutely no burning or overheating, but thats just me, keep it a litte farther away, put your hand over the top of the plant with your palm touching the top of the plant, if the back of your hand is comfortable and not too hot, your plant should be ok as well, if the plant is really young, your may want to keep the light farther away especially if they are very young clones.

I could keep mine about 8-10 inches away. Main thing to be worried about is the heat factor.

If you have a vented reflector with a glass shield you can keep them much closer than if you have an exposed bulb. Either way if you direct a fan through the area between the plants and the lights you will cool the area signifigantly. Peace Out and GG

teckS said:
about 6-8 inches, personally i had my 430watt 8 inches away from my plants and had absolutely no burning or overheating, but thats just me, keep it a litte farther away, put your hand over the top of the plant with your palm touching the top of the plant, if the back of your hand is comfortable and not too hot, your plant should be ok as well, if the plant is really young, your may want to keep the light farther away especially if they are very young clones.
I'm curious to know how you got a 430 watt light 8 inches from a plant and had no burning.

Did you use a glass shield w/forced air accross the bulb?

I've used quite a few 400 watt lights and never had one I could put within a foot of the plants. Every time I attempted it, I got burnt plants.

Unless a shield is used with bulb cooling, there is no way to put a 430 watt light that close.

Stoney is exactly right, I keep my 400 watt about 12" from the tops of my plants however I have a vented reflector with a glass shield. I also have flow thru ventilation pushing the hot air out through the reflector. I have no problems with burn. If I wanted I could get it down to 6"-8" with no problem but with an HID light from what I have read it doesnt need to be that close. I can actually put my hand right under the glass shield and it is not even hot, however I have a lot of air moving through my light. Like Stoney said that is the only way possible to have your lights that close, otherwise your talkin at least 18". Peace Out and GG!

i have never used a glass sheild or any light ventilation, i do have a fan pointed directly at the light tho. I dont know the true reasons behind it, but i have not had a problem yet, and the light was that close to the plants for about 2 weeks until the plant got to about 7" from the bulb, still not even a little buring, but i figured it would start to so i moved it up to about 10" away. Maybe i just have a nice cold bulb, lol i have no idea

the way i do it is, i have my light vertical to my lpant one one side and a fan on the other, i just periodically turn my plant, i can get my light pretty close about 5-4 inches

Latest posts

Back