2nd grow... few questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shatzie24

Reaction score
Finally finished my first grow and boy... what a ride! Even though (supposedly) I used the same seeds for all many of the plants came out looking different (one turned purple, a couple had weird fan leaves). I'm in the curing stage now so I don't even know how they turned out yet.

I'd like to make the 2nd round more successful so I have some questions before I begin.
1. Reusing soil (Fox Farms)- yay or nay?
2. I've got a 3x3 tent and for my first grow I used the SOG method (which was recommended by the seed website) but it ended up being more than I could handle. The 9 plants I had ended up yielding about half an ounce per plant. This time around I'm going for OG Kush autoflower... how many plants would you recommend in a 3x3 to get maximum yield per plant?
3. When is the best time to trim extra fan leaves? Earlier during the veg stage or waiting until they are switching to flowering?
4. Wet trim vs dry trim at harvest. Is one better than the other or is it just personal preference?

Any other advice you'd like to give is always appreciated. Thanks all!

Attachments

• PXL_20230108_185815515.jpg
    PXL_20230108_185815515.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Congratulations on your first grow. It’s alway nice to have your own homegrown set up in jars just waiting to try. I hope they are good smoke.
1. I’ve never reused soil as I always had one reason or another not to but the last two grows I’ve been using FF strawberry soil and have had no bugs or gnats and would definitely consider reusing it with some amendments my next grow as long as I have no soil issues or bugs thru my current grow. I would also be careful of where I stored it between grows as to not invite any outsiders in my grow tent. I have learned by experience not to bring any riders into my tent if at all possible to discourage it.
2. I have 2x4 tents and always overload my tent. I’ve noticed no matter how many plants I have in there, I get about the same yield and know that you could plant just one plant in that 3x3 tent with a huge yield. I’ve seen many folks just have one plant that filled up the tent with beautiful big colas everywhere. Overcrowding can be dealt with but you have to be diligent to keeping the leaves from touching and shading and you are apt to have problems with things like PM if you don’t accommodate for it. I have done all kinds of manipulating due to my overcrowding habit. I currently have 4 plants in my 2x4 tent but could probably get the same yield with only two just hasn’t worked out for me that way yet
3. I trim all the time. During veg to try to promote Growth in specific ways and in flower too especially those first couple of weeks where growth goes crazy and I don’t want bud sites shaded.
4. I do a wet trim then a clean up dry trim. I find it much easier to get those sugar leaves and other junk off before it dries but I’m sure others will chime in with good reasons to wait till it’s dry. That’s just what I do…

good luck with your second grow. Don’t be surprised to have ups and downs and learn as you grow and let us all know how you are doing and we love pictures too ✌️

congratulations and enjoy that harvest!

nothing like enjoying one's own herbs , it is soooo satisfying !

what do the flowers smell like when you open a jar?

1. yes and no

yes , if you are not experienced in re-purposing used soil

no , if you know how to rebuild your used soil go for it

2. no idea , but we have some tent experts here who will help you with an answer

3. there is no best time…..there are un-best times , like do not defoliate during the first 30 days unless your plant needs it….

an example of needing it would be a big fat leaved indica and a couple of the big fan leaves are touch the soil

you can defoliate all through your grow , your plants will have better air circulation , bud sites will get more light , defoliate as needed

4. wet trim is the best trim , do not listen to those dry trimmers , they full of anti-wet hatred and delusional , sometimes falling into hypnotic trances where they leave their bodies in an effort to body snatch wet trimmers

1. yes and no

2. no idea , but we have some tent experts here who will help you with an answer

3. there is no best time…..there are un-best times , like do not defoliate during the first 30 days unless your plant needs it….

an example of needing it would be a big fat leaved indica and a couple of the big fan leaves are touch the soil

you can defoliate all through your grow , your plants will have better air circulation , bud sites will get more light , defoliate as needed

4. wet trim is the best trim , do not listen to those dry trimmers , they full of anti-wet hatred and delusional , sometimes falling into hypnotic trances where they leave their bodies in an effort to body snatch wet trimmers

1. yes and no

I wanted to add to the question about soil and growing outdoors. I know everyone has their preferred way and or which soil they choose. About reusing soil and adding amendments. What do you all like to use and what do you like to add for a good grow that has worked for you. Anyone can chime in on this question. Thanks

I wouldn't trim those autos. I would only do 2 to 4 plants in that 3x3...auto plants are notorious for being unpredictable even among the same type of seeds. You will have on be a giant and the others dwarfs most likely.

They smell kind of sweet which makes sense because it was Zkittles seeds I used.

I feel like I'm becoming nose blind to the smell of weed because I've smelled them so much they don't smell very "weed-like" anymore 😂

I wouldn't trim those autos. I would only do 2 to 4 plants in that 3x3...auto plants are notorious for being unpredictable even among the same type of seeds. You will have on be a giant and the others dwarfs most likely.
That makes so much sense because these were auto flowers! They were so different!

I didn’t see that they were autos so that would make my trimming of fan leaf advice different. I’ve only done autos once and put 6 plants in my 2x4 with no issues of crowding. I do know that sometimes they can go crazy which mine didn’t but I got a nice yield on all the plants. I would suggest following Cartys page on autos. There is a lot of information there that could help you about everything autos.

I used 2 gallon but planned to go 3 gallon next time as I couldn’t keep up with the water schedule. They would be starving for water at night before bedtime so much that they couldn’t wait till the next morning when I usually do my plant work. If you get the taller pots, they fit more comfortably in the tent

I used 2 gallon but planned to go 3 gallon next time as I couldn’t keep up with the water schedule. They would be starving for water at night before bedtime so much that they couldn’t wait till the next morning when I usually do my plant work. If you get the taller pots, they fit more comfortably in the tent
How were the root balls in the twos?

The 2s held the roots fine. Not over crowded at all but the watering thing caused a bit of stress for me. I used the 2 gallon based on Cartys advice on his page but he also change to 3 gallon pots for some reason after I started my grow. I’d have to go look at his page to see why

I've been using 3 gallon with minimal issues there so I think I'll continue that...

Latest posts

Back