380 Volts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bud.uncle

Ok

So..............

In one of my outbuildings I have a live 3 Phase wall socket.
I could do with hooking up some 240v wall sockets......
The wiring to the old socket is in good condition.....

So

Rather that running new wiring from the breaker to the new sockets

Could I

Replace the old 3 Phase socket with 3 new sockets, by taking 1 of each of the old 3 Phases to each of them and linking the Neutrals and Earth cables...........?

edit

440 Volts

3 x 220

I have no clue, but I think TCVG could tell you. He's an electrician. Of course, he feels just the same as I do about do it yourself home electrical modification.

If you have 240v 3 phase all you need to do is lose one hot leg and it can be hooked to a 240 volt single phase outlet.

3 phase is just 3 hots and a ground, single phase 240 is 2 hots and a ground.

What is 380 volts? How do you have 3 phase power in your out building, 3 phase is only used in industrial applications.

Growdude said:
If you have 240v 3 phase all you need to do is lose one hot leg and it can be hooked to a 240 volt single phase outlet.

What is 380 volts? How do you have 3 phase power in your out building, 3 phase is only used in industrial applications.

..and it's usually 3phase 480v

Growdude said:

We have 3 Phase supply

3x 220v
440 Volts

Quite common in France

Just had a look at the meter

3 x 220 V

30 Amp

440 Volts

On one Box

X3 20 Amps on another

Then its 440 3 phase.

You could use a multi tap ballast wired for 440 volts single phase.

Im not sure about spliting it 3 ways because you would have a 220 volt hot wire and a ground and 220 single phase is 2, 110 volt hots and a ground.

Latest posts

Back