400-watt MH Sufficient?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiamondJim420

Reaction score
For a 4x4 grow tent with three plants in DWC, is a 400-watt MH bulb sufficient? I'll be using a 600-watt HPS for flowering. Hortilux does not make a 600-watt MH bulb, although other companies do.

That is a little underlit lumens-wise, but in my personal experience, I have found that vegging under MH will cause a lot of stretch in your plants as the spectrum is not the best. I have found that the T5s are best for vegging as they give a more useful spectrum and cause the plants to grow with far tighter internodal spacing. However, I have also found that using the T5s with MH seems to do well for vegging, and causes the plant to really bush up. But there has to be significant amount of T5 light with the MH, at least half as much in lumens. To me, I would rather spend the money on getting enough T5 light that I don't need the MH at all during veg, and it saves dealing with the extra heat. I hope this helps :)

A 3x3 is about the largest area I would use a 400 watt in. Why does the bulb have to be Hortilux? Other companies make just as good a bulb IMO

ozzydiodude said:
A 3x3 is about the largest area I would use a 400 watt in. Why does the bulb have to be Hortilux? Other companies make just as good a bulb IMO

i would have to agree, but me personally think 400 watts are not really even that good in that and would have to go with a 600 ;)

every time i used my 400 watt i was disappointed with the growth even with proper lumens per ft. penetration power maybe?

i also agree, hortiluxs are a waste of money, you can get a bulb just as good with the ehanced spectrum and lumens for less than half the cost. i notice they say enhanced "green" spectrum advertised, like we need that. i personaly get bulbs with enhanced red and orange spectrums, but thats for flowering, i use either T5s or leds for veg.

I agree with the others. I personally have never found much difference between expensive bulbs and inexpensive bulbs. If this was my garden, I would get a 600W MH for that space, rather than using the 400W (only around 36,000 lumens). I see no reason to be locked into 1 brand of bulb, especially if they do not offer what you need. If a MH put out the same lumens per watt as a HPS, you would be okay vegging with a 400W, but lumens from a MH are substantially less. However, T5s are also my preferred lights for vegging. I have a couple of MH I don't use anymore and 1 I gave to a buddy.

I believe that it is really important for your plants to get a good start in life. In my garden, I have found that compact bushy plants with close internodal spacing will stretch less when put into 12/12 and always seem to just be healthier and better producers.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I believe that it is really important for your plants to get a good start in life. In my garden, I have found that compact bushy plants with close internodal spacing will stretch less when put into 12/12 and always seem to just be healthier and better producers.

i agree 100%. this begins when they break the ground. stop stretching your seedlings also people, its terrible. get them properly lit from the get-go and they will reward you greatly in the future.

I switched from a 400w MH to a 4' 8 bulb t5 light and now my plants are way bushier and way tighter internodal spacing. I was going to buy a bigger MH light but thanks to the good people on this sight I was advised to go with the t5. So glad I listened.

DiamondJim420 said:
For a 4x4 grow tent with three plants in DWC, is a 400-watt MH bulb sufficient? I'll be using a 600-watt HPS for flowering. Hortilux does not make a 600-watt MH bulb, although other companies do.

Just be readin yur question pilgrem and might have somethin to say that goes gainst everyone here so far but I mean no disrespect cause all folk pipin in so far are right for the most part but if I may say somethin that might ease yual bit ifin its all you got to use its good enough to do what yual need until yual can upgrade. Reason I says this is because these here folk are all educated in the ways of the grow as fur me well i am educated too but have little to limited means sometimes and betwenn yual and I I use my old 400w MH bulb and added a couple cheap 100w hps security lights that I be stealin from a security compound ways back anyway ather story sorry. I use it cause its all i gots right now and I produce all I needs to fill my pouch. It may not be recommended as yual see above but it gets me weres I need to goes. Good luck friend hopin yual yeild yur needs.

BWD

These plants here be growd under 400w mh and did well by me. Though i would share ifin yual dont mind in yur thread.

BWD--none of us is saying that there is anything wrong with a 400W MH. It is just that it is not enough light in 16 sq ft., which was what DJ420 was asking. Get that space cut down a little and a 400W would do just fine.

The Hemp Goddess said:
BWD--none of us is saying that there is anything wrong with a 400W MH. It is just that it is not enough light in 16 sq ft., which was what DJ420 was asking. Get that space cut down a little and a 400W would do just fine.

No Mamme that why I be sayin what I be sayin that yual right what yu tellin this good folk and alls i was tryin to do was give em comfort in the knowledge that ifin its all they gots then its all they gots and run with it. Sorry Mamme didnt means any disrespectin towards no firesiders. Hope they do well is all.

BWD

Hey BackWoodsDrifter, I think you got some real respectable buds goin there :) Those are some nice looking plants, some healthy top colas :) Apparently you got yer MH setup just right to get some good growth out of them :)

Hushpuppy said:
Hey BackWoodsDrifter, I think you got some real respectable buds goin there :) Those are some nice looking plants, some healthy top colas :) Apparently you got yer MH setup just right to get some good growth out of them :)

Thankin yual Hushpuppy for yur kind compliments. I keeps it real tight to plants in early stage with exhaust and fan help keepin cool then add some flos to side to be givin the whole plants some lights throughout the beef of the body. It seems to do right by me and likes I says it keeps me happy and pouch filled without breakin stress. Hope this helps with at the least the confidence is all be tryin to do. Hates folks stressin over the little stuff.

BWD

getnasty said:
Some days I wish I lived in BWD's backyard...

Come on up pilgrem stumps a plenty around the fire. Thanks fur bein here friend.

BWD

Latest posts

Back