400 Watts Of Cfl Vs 400 Watts Mh

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
imho The cfl's are the way to you get so much more lumens for the amount of watts of electricity used they don't get hot and last for like 7 years I use a 250mh for veg and 10 cfl's for flowering the 6500k in the red range gives you crazy resin content they think its late autum and go nutts the cfl's I use are 25w so 10 of um at 25w is only 225w and I swear it's like 10 times as much light as the 400w hps that my buddy uses so the cfl's imo are the way to go...and thay are cheaper

bombbudpuffa said:
I run mine on 24/0. Tighter nodes and thicker stems are the main thing i've noticed using mh. I can put my seedlings about 6 inches from it with no probs. I use my cfls for side lighting if needed but for the most part just the mh:).

I run my MH 24-7 also,but I turn it of for 15-20min once a week to let it cool down as sugested in the instruction book that came whith it they say it extends it the life of the unit:watchplant:

Actually, CFLs need much more micro management. If you can make the management, you can get much more efficiency.

massproducer said:
CFL's are not more efficient then MH or HPS lamps, that is fact. Watt for watt they produce less light and more heat.

More heat than a mh or hps? I can hold a cfl thats been on all day and its barly warm my mh would fry hand if i tried to touch it. They do produce less light watt for watt,but I use 25w cfl's that are eqalvant to 100w so I get a 1000w worth of light off 10 bulbs useing only 225w not saying thay are better just efficient;)

massproducer said:
Are you saying this in favor of CFL's???

this says you need 930 watts, 33 actual bulbs in order to match 1 - 430w hps. Plus with the CFL's you get a lot less penetration.

Those prices seem kind of whack, $322 for a 430 watt HPS?

Also the actual wattage run is significantly higher with the CFL's meaning that you are paying twice as much monthly to power the lights. So even if you got suckered into buying a $322 HPS, you would still save money after only about 1 harvest by using the HPS
goto www.insidesun.com for good and cheap lighting. I use them with no problems.

woo hoo happy fourth of JulY

Pnw-cronic said:
More heat than a mh or hps? I can hold a cfl thats been on all day and its barly warm my mh would fry hand if i tried to touch it. They do produce less light watt for watt,but I use 25w cfl's that are eqalvant to 100w so I get a 1000w worth of light off 10 bulbs useing only 225w not saying thay are better just efficient;)

430W 1x430W HPS Light Kit, 53.000 Lumen, = 123 lumen per watt consumed
990W 33x30W CFL Light Kit, 53.000 Lumen, = 53 lumen per watt consumed

hps is over "twice" as efficient as cfls

I think the best way to prove this is to let them(other growers) find out the hard way, like I did. Who wants to maintain 30 bulbs while trying to grow. I am now a converted hps/mh guy who started with cfl's. My suggestion is if you still want cfl's to find the big ones on the net and you won't need 30 bulbs. I started with a 200 w cfl that was huge.

Pnw-cronic said:

No, they are not more efficient--the equivalency thing doesn't count when you are growing plants. You have 225W and that is it. When you get all ten of your CFLs together, they are going to create more heat than a HPS of like wattage.

Look around, you can find plenty of posts from former CFL users now using HPS. There is just no comparision, especially considering that CFLs are not more efficient, are not cooler, are not cheaper...

I'm going to explain this so everyone understands.

Yes 200 watts of CFL will generate the close to the same heat as MH or HPS.

The people convinced that it isn't is because of the package labeling. They think that since the package says equivalent to 100 watts that their 23 watt CFL is the same as a 100 watt bulb. In their mind they put (2) 23 watt bulbs together and they have 200 watts worth of light when they are burning 46 watts of light.So if you go and touch 46 watts of CFL you aren't going to get burned like you would with 175 watts of metal halide.

Basically people thik that 46 watts of CFL is actually putting out more light than 175 watts of metal halide.

If you put 175 watts of CFL next to 175 watts of MH you will get close to the same temperature when comparing.

Because of my explanation above you can never win an argument because the package says 100 watts and that is what they believe they are burning.

I can go into it further but I'm going to leave it here for now.

Hopefully that clears up some of the confusion, still you will have people thinking I'm wrong but that is just part of life.

Just to add a little..

Heat from a fluorescent setup is usually easier to control, because the heat is coming from a bigger area (like ten cfl bulbs, or four 4foot bulbs), than just the one bulb of a HID.

Latest posts

Back